Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am having a hard time coming up with some viable 90 point builds that I would like to take and try to be at least a little "competitive" with. I have a Klingon fleet up to 90 points that I think will do well, but I like to play Federation and their ships are wrought with problems called crew, where as the Klingons are like "We don't need no stinkin' crew!"

Any suggestions? Just curious as to what other people are thinking and maybe I can derive some ideas from here to fit my own play style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this for one of the Borg events, where you start with 90 and ultimately end up with 120? The scenario you are playing makes a BIG difference in fleet construction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't really given it too much thought yet since I still have a few weeks to work it out. I'd say though it probably shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a 2 ship Federation build within 90 points. It would make it a little lighter on upgrades than a normal similar build -- but remember its actually a 3 ship build once you get the blind booster so if you feel its a little inadequate there will be a 3rd ship there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, for the upcoming Borg events.

Yeah, a third ship that is shoved upon you at the last minute that may or may not fit into you fleet dynamic. I am looking at the scenarios now I am beginning to think that they are going to tear most fleets apart. Especially the second and third ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This one doesn't seem to bad,

Tactical Cube 138 (46)
Tactical Drone (4)
Full Assault (6)
Borg Ablative Hull Armor (7)
Ship SP: 63

Defiant Class (22)
Rudolph Ransom (2)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 27

Total Build SP: 90

The Tac Cube keeps up some good maneuvers while the Defiant jukes and jives keeping at a distance with its torpedoes. While the third "blind" ship weaves inbetween the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davitch wrote:

Yeah, a third ship that is shoved upon you at the last minute that may or may not fit into you fleet dynamic. I am looking at the scenarios now I am beginning to think that they are going to tear most fleets apart. Especially the second and third ones.

Well, for the first event, you've got two ways to go about it - pad your ships with a heck of a lot of 'derpy' upgrades, and don't mind the Borg ship (try to keep your distance...but don't LOOK like you are trying to keep your distance...I dunno, fly casual)...or stick with elite-ish builds that RELY on maneuver to ensure the enemy forces are closer to the Borg ship than you are when it activates.

Presuming the former (it's easier), the Feds have some decent options.

Something like:

Quote:
U.S.S Excelsior (26)
Benjamin Sisko (4)
Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)
Disobey Orders (2)
Red Alert (2)
Dmitri Valtane (3)

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Positron Beam (2)

...the Voyager uses ship action of 'resist' and Picard does whatever he needs to do (BS, usually). Excelsior uses ship action of 'resist', and commonly will get its free action of 'scan' to trigger Valtane.

So you try to stay out of range of the Borg (both ships have WIDE wire arcs to allow that), and when you do fall in range and roll your dice...1/8 odds you resist the Borg entirely, and if not you've got a few talents on Sisko to discard to their assimilation attempts, and a crew and tech upgrade on Picard's ship to toss their way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Davitch wrote:
I am looking at the scenarios now I am beginning to think that they are going to tear most fleets apart. Especially the second and third ones.

That seems to be the intention -- especially with the second one. Its designed that you will be annhilated after a certain number of rounds (like the battle from the show off which its based). The Borg in the show were nasty. Much nastier than the ones we get to play (well, till the later Voyager episodes ran them into the ground but that's a different topic).

Quote:
Yeah, a third ship that is shoved upon you at the last minute that may or may not fit into you fleet dynamic.

Which is something that will be equal for everyone. As you're talking Federation though, that third ship really is just an addition that's giving you a bit of extra firepower (and something else for the Borg -- or in month 1, your opponent AND the Borg -- to shoot at). You'd probably be going with 2 ships as Federation anyway, so you can get something mostly workable there with just 90 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my fleet from TWOP:

U.S.S Enterprise (22)
James T. Kirk (6)
Attack Pattern Alpha (3)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 41

IRW Gal Gath'Thong (18)
Donatra (4)
Tactical Officer (3)
Plasma Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 30

I.K.S. Kronos One (24)
Martok (5)
Ship SP: 29

Total Build SP: 100

2 wins.
1 loss.

Sometimes your skill with flying the ships matters more than the actual build itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhhh...Erin? What does that have to do with this thread?

- It's a "Federation list", how?
- Doesn't quite add up to 90 points, does it?
- You did read the rules for the Borg OP events and notice how INCREDIBLY different they are from the Tholian Web event, right?
- You lost one of the matches. Which means you'd lose the event (unless practically nobody else showed up). Sooooo...you've provided an example of a list that fails. How does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Echo2Omega wrote:
This is my fleet from TWOP:

U.S.S Enterprise (22)
James T. Kirk (6)
Attack Pattern Alpha (3)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 41

IRW Gal Gath'Thong (18)
Donatra (4)
Tactical Officer (3)
Plasma Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 30

I.K.S. Kronos One (24)
Martok (5)
Ship SP: 29

Total Build SP: 100

2 wins.
1 loss.

Sometimes your skill with flying the ships matters more than the actual build itself.

Agreed, good maneuvers will get you a lot of good places. But the above fleet IMHO won't last long in any of the borg OPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Davitch wrote:

Well, for the first event, you've got two ways to go about it - pad your ships with a heck of a lot of 'derpy' upgrades, and don't mind the Borg ship (try to keep your distance...but don't LOOK like you are trying to keep your distance...I dunno, fly casual)...or stick with elite-ish builds that RELY on maneuver to ensure the enemy forces are closer to the Borg ship than you are when it activates.

Something like:

Quote:
U.S.S Excelsior (26)
Benjamin Sisko (4)
Disobey Orders (2)
Red Alert (2)
Dmitri Valtane (3)

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Positron Beam (2)

...the Voyager uses ship action of 'resist' and Picard does whatever he needs to do (BS, usually). Excelsior uses ship action of 'resist', and commonly will get its free action of 'scan' to trigger Valtane.

So you try to stay out of range of the Borg (both ships have WIDE wire arcs to allow that), and when you do fall in range and roll your dice...1/8 odds you resist the Borg entirely, and if not you've got a few talents on Sisko to discard to their assimilation attempts, and a crew and tech upgrade on Picard's ship to toss their way.

A very valid fleet option, not sure about the Positron beam, effective in the first OP, not so much in 2 and 3, but easily replaceable to upgrade something else in the fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davitch wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Davitch wrote:

Something like:

Quote:
U.S.S Excelsior (26)
Benjamin Sisko (4)
Disobey Orders (2)
Red Alert (2)
Dmitri Valtane (3)

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Positron Beam (2)

A very valid fleet option, not sure about the Positron beam, effective in the first OP, not so much in 2 and 3, but easily replaceable to upgrade something else in the fleet.

Well, the point of the positron beam is that it's one of the cheapest Fed upgrades - it's really just there to be sacrificed to the BCT (if necessary). Same as O'brien, on that ship.

Nature of the match - you need some buffers to protect your captain (and ship!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to assimilation fodder on the ships, I think combinations that eliminate cards from your opponent's ships and/or deny their ships actions can also be crucial. I'm looking at the named Gorn ship ability and Bioship Alpha as interesting possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
Davitch wrote:
Agreed, good maneuvers will get you a lot of good places. But the above fleet IMHO won't last long in any of the borg OPs.

Just trying to point out that sometimes its not what you fly, but how well you can fly it.

For the Borg 1 even I would probably go with something more along the lines of:

USS Voyager (30)
Kathryn Janeway (5)
Tom Paris (4)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Hikaru Sulu (3)
Ship SP: 45

U.S.S Excelsior (26)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Mr. Spock (5)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)
Ship SP: 45

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Hope you get a decent brick ship. (you can check out the previews of them on the BGG. They all have something to offer)

Not sure what strategy to run for the event. But watching your opponent get chewed up by the BCT seems favorable. Transwarp may be a more favorable upgrade on the Excelsior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Adams
msg tools
Funny, most of the fed builds here are close to what I was considering:

U.S.S. Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Tom Paris (4)
Total (43)

U.S.S. Enterprise (22)
Flagship: Independent (Klingon) (10)
Kathryn Janeway (5)
Dmitri Valtane (3)
Geordi LaForge (4)
Transwarp Drive (3)
Total (47)

Fleet total: 90

Generated by Space Dock for iOS
http://spacedockapp.org

Both ships have the option to resist each turn without too many problems since the free scan on tinyprise is all it needs to trigger janeway and her crew. Both ships have some decent defense options (as well as attack arcs). Plus both can jet away with a 6 forward in case I want my opponent to be Borged that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Wortman

Ohio
msg tools
Am I missing something? I thought Picard was a 9 point captain, not 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
banukab wrote:

He's 9 skill, but costs 6 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Wortman

Ohio
msg tools
yourmonkey06 wrote:
banukab wrote:

He's 9 skill, but costs 6 points.

You're right. I looked at it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to start working on Collective 1 yet. I will not get a real idea until I test the scenario out and see how much it's going to mess with me.

My initial concept will involve captains and cheap, expendable crew. Use my actions to focus on kills, and allow to assimilate the irrelevant crew.

PS Followers of Khan, please report for duty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alyksandyr wrote:
I've yet to start working on Collective 1 yet. I will not get a real idea until I test the scenario out and see how much it's going to mess with me.

My initial concept will involve captains and cheap, expendable crew. Use my actions to focus on kills, and allow to assimilate the irrelevant crew.

Captain Pike requires your presence on his Independent Flagship USS Enterprise whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Knightime32 wrote:
Alyksandyr wrote:

Captain Pike requires your presence on his Independent Flagship USS Enterprise whistle

Yup. It's time for the return of that one player's USS Clown Car from OP6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at something like this

Negh'var class
Martok (8)
Klingon Flagship
Synon
Drex

IKS Maht-H'A
Gowron
N'Garen
Klag

Being able to cloak and echo with both ships every turn is eat and Synon gives my flagship that extra oomph to get away from the cube if it comes in my direction, lastly a nice cheap Klag to keep the cube occupied for another turn if it does come for me, or alternatively a nice opportunity to spike and enemy crew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This might be cute as well...

List Name

U.S.S. Defiant (24)
Kathryn Janeway (5)
Lojour (2)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 36

U.S.S. Reliant (20)
Benjamin Sisko (4)
Kyle (2)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 31

Interceptor 5 (16)
Kira Nerys (3)
Phaser Strike (4)
Ship SP: 23

With the addition of any of the upcoming ships this could be a potent little fleet, although it is bit crunchy, having the ability to give out target locks to the rest of the fleet for all those torpedoes and such I could be firing torps every turn almost, especially if I keep the range open and away from the cubes. This will take some flying, but I do think it is possible. I also could upgrade to Quantums if I wanted to take out Phaser strike, but I wanted to have an interceptor with some teeth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chappell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Looking at something similar myself, probably 2 ship Federation or Dominion build with a load of "extra" stuff to buy time as the Borg hit us both...

First Draft

U.S.S Excelsior (26)
Christopher Pike (4)
Lojour (1)
Mr. Spock (4)
Worf (2)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)
Ship SP: 43

U.S.S Enterprise-D (28)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Engage (3)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Antimatter Mines (5)
Ship SP: 47

Just a first draft of course, so likely will change a great deal before the event...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess Gilbert
msg tools
My Idea for OP 1, lots of stuff to discard while getting up close fast with the 2 ships.

List Name

USS Voyager (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Cheat Death (5)
Pavel Chekov (3)
Mr. Spock (5)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Positron Beam (2)
Ship SP: 56

U.S.S. Reliant (20)
Maxwell Burke (1)
B'Elanna Torres (4)
Worf (3)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Transwarp Drive (3)
Ship SP: 34

the idea is to get 6 attack dice at range one with the reliant by discarding Burke and have worf for a reroll if it sucks. My friend just got the kit for OP1 so I'll have to try it out but looking for feedback. I'm thinking I may move the photons on the other photons on voyager over to the reliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.