Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Winner Of World Cup Hammered Out Just In Time For Tournament

http://www.theonion.com/articles/winner-of-world-cup-hammere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are ruining my suspension of disbelief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The ref didn’t even speak English. I asked him why did he give the penalty and he just mumbled something. My team-mates tell me the same thing – how can you have an international ref who is officiating the opening match, but he doesn’t speak English and you can’t even speak to him?”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
For those who have no idea what this thread is about:
A Brazilian player took a hilarious dive in the box in order to get a penalty shot, which became the game-winning goal against uber-underdog Croatia in the opening game of the World Cup. The ref is taking a lot of heat for buying the dive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
To be fair, from the ref's angle that is a really superb dive. He timed it very well with the tug on his shoulder. From the back it's very obviously a dive. That's why soccer needs replay. FIFA argues that it would slow the game down too much, but if you're going to give a penalty that slows the game down anyway just let the fourth official take a peek at the live feed which surely will have good angles of the replay and notify the ref immediately if there's a problem. In 95% of cases it shouldn't take any longer than it already does because you can make a good determination in the time it takes to set up a penalty kick. It's just asinine that FIFA has still not found a good way to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
To be fair, from the ref's angle that is a really superb dive. He timed it very well with the tug on his shoulder. From the back it's very obviously a dive. That's why soccer needs replay. FIFA argues that it would slow the game down too much, but if you're going to give a penalty that slows the game down anyway just let the fourth official take a peek at the live feed which surely will have good angles of the replay and notify the ref immediately if there's a problem. In 95% of cases it shouldn't take any longer than it already does because you can make a good determination in the time it takes to set up a penalty kick. It's just asinine that FIFA has still not found a good way to do this.

It would make cheating much harder. Plain as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
thermogimp wrote:

Something that FIFA is obviously as interested in as battling corruption.

Ahahaha ha. I'm so funny shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
I often find myself in need of examples of injury in sport to make salient points to rooms full of people who believe the human body is some kind of unassailable fortress, and so I'm always on the lookout for footage of human-on-human wreckage. I don't know from soccer but something I learned pretty quickly is that I have to hold those clips to a much higher standard, like an actual bone poking out.*

Could it not be said that flopping expertly, while not good play, is actually effective play? QED

*Although I'll also accept a foot pointing the completely wrong way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
thermogimp wrote:

Yep for times when the ball goes dead the fourth official could easily take a quick look at a video feed.

I also wouldn't mind a citing system a bit similar to Rugby Union. After the game has finished certain offences can be brought to the citing official's notice and players can get retrospective red and yellow cards etc. In the Brazil match that probably means a yellow card for diving here, and possibly Neymar facing sanctions over his challenge on Modric.

Once players start missing games they will eventually start to come round and cutting such foul play out of their game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:

It's not really asinine... more like cynical.
You must realise that, before being a sport, football is nowadays an industry.
The newspapers depend on having something to write about, the TVs need something to constantly replay, etc...

All the dubious refereeing, the subjective criteria rules and several other aspects contribute to keeping football a matter of discussion, feeding endless debates amongst the fans and fuelling absurd comments shows.

When there is such a clear example of good implementation of technology, such as what happens in Rugby, not following the examples is either absolute stupidity (which I find hard to believe) or a desire to continue with something for more "obscure" reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Could it not be said that flopping expertly, while not good play, is actually effective play? QED

Well, cheating usually is effective. Does that make it acceptable?
Would you be willing to play boardgames with a cheater?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
All in all though it really would not have made a difference. Croatia wouldnt have won even without that bum call. On top of that they more than likely would have been beaten 3-0 if it hadnt been for Marcelo kicking the ball into his own goal. (I say this as someone who was pulling for the Croatians)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
All in all though it really would not have made a difference. Croatia wouldnt have won even without that bum call. On top of that they more than likely would have been beaten 3-0 if it hadnt been for Marcelo kicking the ball into his own goal. (I say this as someone who was pulling for the Croatians)

Winning is not the point. They could have finished with a draw which would have been a big result against Brazil. Brazil's third goal probably doesn't happen either if Croatia wasn't pushing for an equalizer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallgur wrote:
HiveGod wrote:

As I said, I don't know anything about soccer—but as an outsider looking in, flopping and histrionics appear to be pretty standard procedure.

If it's expressly forbidden by the rules (and I'm guessing it is, given your response) I suppose I'm surprised FIFA hasn't taken steps to police it better.

Unless money's involved, in which case the rabble should just maintain minimum safe distance from my limo lest they wind up tear-gassed and rubber-bulleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Mallgur wrote:
HiveGod wrote:

As I said, I don't know anything about soccer—but as an outsider looking in, flopping and histrionics appear to be pretty standard procedure.

If it's expressly forbidden by the rules (and I'm guessing it is, given your response) I suppose I'm surprised FIFA hasn't taken steps to police it better.

Unless money's involved, in which case the rabble should just maintain minimum safe distance from my limo lest they wind up tear-gassed and rubber-bulleted.

The point of problem is the refeeres and the fact that there descision on the field will stay. Btw that ref was about three times as good as any of the referees I ever seen in Sweden. And acctually I am quite sure his linesman said it was a pentaly (also is putting your hands on somebody shoulder allowed?)

There also been a few other situations discussed, like the one where Julius Cesar was challenged in the air and got a free kick. From the replay it quite clear that he got a elbow in the back but as the ref was so bad at that pentaly situation all the bad things blow on him.

In reality I hate refs.

Also let's not get all RSP but FIFA could well deserve a thread in there as a lot of what they to relates to poltical stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
One of the main reasons I hate watching Soccer...and Basketball.

If I wanted to watch fictional drama, it had better have a Transformer being washed by Megan Fox in a pair of daisy dukes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The NBA has taken flopping to new heights. Vlade Divac was the master. He wouldn't get touched, flop and let out a grunt of pain so loud you could hear it 20 rows back. Magic Johnson was a close second with John Stockton third although Stockton gets extra points for dirty play. Saw him once flop and throw an elbow as he went down at another player's knee. Heard another player once say if he ever saw John Stockton in a parking lot he'd floor it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The defender has his hands on the forward in the box - illegal. Look it up under Holding, pg. 37 on the current FIFA rules. Dumb thing to do, either way and also illegal.

2. Dives shouldn't happen in ANY sport

3. EVERY US sport has this type of thing and easily just as bad - NBA flopping, traveling, holding. NFL has CBs fouling WRs, DBs hammering QBs. MLB has arbitrary strike zone determination and other crap. Gripe about something else or risk looking hypocritical.

All this is, from my perspective, is a new and fairly clever (I'll admit) way for US sports fan to shit on the sport. Gotta find some reason to dislike it, right? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
For those who have no idea what this thread is about:
A Brazilian player took a hilarious dive in the box after being pulled on illegally, even if it was a small tug, in order to get a penalty shot, which became the game-winning goal against slight underdog Croatia in the opening game of the World Cup despite the fact that Brazil outplayed them most of the match. The ref is taking a lot of heat for buying the dive despite the fact that in real-time, anyone would have thought it was a foul.

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
Quote:
The ref didn’t even speak English. I asked him why did he give the penalty and he just mumbled something. My team-mates tell me the same thing – how can you have an international ref who is officiating the opening match, but he doesn’t speak English and you can’t even speak to him?”

Because it's not up for discussion. Maybe you're unfamiliar with the sport but in general, you don't get to sit down and have a polite discussion about why a call was made and/or get to debate it. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Winning is not the point. They could have finished with a draw which would have been a big result against Brazil. Brazil's third goal probably doesn't happen either if Croatia wasn't pushing for an equalizer.

Absolutely no way to know that - though, in fact, if Oscar's forays, which had been getting consistently more dangerous, were any indication, they WOULD have scored anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
HiveGod wrote:
Mallgur wrote:
HiveGod wrote:

The point of problem is the refeeres and the fact that there descision on the field will stay. Btw that ref was about three times as good as any of the referees I ever seen in Sweden. And acctually I am quite sure his linesman said it was a pentaly (also is putting your hands on somebody shoulder allowed?)

There also been a few other situations discussed, like the one where Julius Cesar was challenged in the air and got a free kick. From the replay it quite clear that he got a elbow in the back but as the ref was so bad at that pentaly situation all the bad things blow on him.

In reality I hate refs.

Also let's not get all RSP but FIFA could well deserve a thread in there as a lot of what they to relates to poltical stuff.

Thank you for bringing some common sense and experience with the sport to this topic. Well said, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Asur wrote:
Quote:

Because it's not up for discussion. Maybe you're unfamiliar with the sport but in general, you don't get to sit down and have a polite discussion about why a call was made and/or get to debate it. shake

The Croatian professional player is unfamiliar with the sport? Yes, that must be it.
So you're defending it's not important a referee to be able to communicate with the players? ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
thermogimp wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Absolutely no way to know that - though, in fact, if Oscar's forays, which had been getting consistently more dangerous, were any indication, they WOULD have scored anyway.

Sure, but you have to admit that the whole tone of the game is changed by that call. And there really is not a penalty there. I know what the rules say, but you know as well as I do that there is a threshold of holding that is tolerated and it usually needs to be a clear, blatant foul to be called for a penalty.

I'm not saying that Croatia played better than Brazil. Brazil could very well have still earned a win afterward. But that play could just have easily been a card for the Brazilian player for diving as it was a penalty. And those kind of situations could easily be cleaned up with clear evidence if FIFA cared about it.

Also, the linesman in the Mexico vs. Cameroon game today have absolutely jobbed Mexico. At least they're still winning by a goal at this point but it should really be 2-0 or 3-0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [44] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.