Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(NOTE: This is the second time I tried submitting a post but not for geek gold and it ended up getting moderated anyway. Am I the only one this happens to?)

Just received the game today and decided to give the solo game a spin.

3 games and 3 losses. I played the corp that re-rolls on you. I really wished I was playing against him wrong because if he was able to get a rainbow blend early, and I wasn't able to get one, he was able to keep scoring those points. It took me 3 games to realize that it may be required to knock off a rainbow blend since he can keep it AND have the featured blend.

On his turn the corp can do the following, if I wasn't able to knock him off the featured list:
- Get a point for the rainbow blend
- Get 2 points for the featured blend
- Re-roll the featured blend (if he was at a decaf or less, and I'm not sure how it could be less)
- Score a point for becoming the featured blend again

I'm not sure how long the solo game will keep me interested so I am really looking forward to getting a multi-player game going. If others have played the solo game I am curious what variants you have tried to keep it fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you need to get a dice manipulation ability and steal that rainbow blend. The reroll corp can only have the rainbow blend if he rolls it on his first roll on a given turn. So it shouldn't happen that often. If he rolls at least a pair, he has to go for the featured blend. But you certainly cannot let him keep both.

But you are correct. Human opponents are definitely more fun. I do enjoy having the solo variant available, however. It's good practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Yeah, you need to get a dice manipulation ability and steal that rainbow blend. The reroll corp can only have the rainbow blend if he rolls it on his first roll on a given turn. So it shouldn't happen that often. If he rolls at least a pair, he has to go for the featured blend. But you certainly cannot let him keep both.

But you are correct. Human opponents are definitely more fun. I do enjoy having the solo variant available, however. It's good practice.

Thanks for the confirmation... I played one more game, stole the rainbow back, and managed to eek out a win.

Then played 2 games against the sugar nuts and got beat pretty good.

It seems pretty good solo, definitely a puzzle that can still go either way depending on the rolls (which is what you want)... But definitely think it will be better with others and when we get the details of the GotY coasters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D G
msg tools
I am still wondering about the solo variant. In my first attempt, I beat the game easily since I did research using the "Hack their Brew" (Red) area. In this ability, the METER is always kept down 1 space every time I hit the ACTIVATE step of my turn. It mattered not that the Corp moved up since I would move them right back down in my turn. If they happen to score, then the rules move them down one on the METER and my ability (used during the ACTIVATE step of my turn) also reduced the re-roll potential. It seems that the path to victory when playing the evil Re-roll Corp. is to get your RED research going. If you do, it is just a matter of time before victory.

If I am seeing this incorrectly, please let me know. My thought was that the solo was not balanced. Every time you play this Re-Roll Corp., just do some RED research and you are good to go. In fact, if you could get to the x2 level of the RED research track, you might as well not even play out the rest of the game..because victory will be eminent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daav817 wrote:
In my first attempt, I beat the game easily since I did research using the "Hack their Brew" (Red) area. In this ability, the METER is always kept down 1 space every time I hit the ACTIVATE step of my turn.

I think you are overhacking...

At the 1x/2x points you get one token which you can use to knock the corp down a peg. So you will only be able to do this twice per game, not on every turn.

Is this what you were doing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Neuschwander
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Bill's comments about "Hack their Brew" ability being a one time use token at each level achieved, you also stated that you moved the meter down when Omniblend scored. This is also not the case. The meter only moves down when Omniblend successfully creates a blend, either featured or rainbow. Not each successive time it scores for those blends (if that is in fact what you were doing).

Hope that helps (the evil coffee overlords kill you!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D G
msg tools
The "Hack their Brew" card seems a bit unclear. It says "gain a token", which I assume this means to do "something" with one of your three tokens. Then what? No clear instructions... I assumed naturally that their re-roll level went down a notch.

Well, next it says, "ACTIVATE: Return Token to the supply. Move Corporation's METER Token down one level." I assume this means that during the activate phase this research ability kicks in. Ok, so I am to knock down the re-roll level then return the token to the supply? ... but I wasn't instructed to do something with a token (in the rules) in the first place. The Card just says, "Gain a Token" with no instructions of what to do with it now that it has been gained. Is it supposed to be a reminder token which says, "Hey you! When the ACTIVATE phase comes around, discard the token and knock down the re-roll level of the Corp."

From what you are saying, it should be assumed that when you reach 1x or 2x on the RED track that you PLACE the "gained" token on the Corp. Card. It would help if the card explicitly said GAIN and PLACE.

To me, the current card seems confusing. First of all, the Corp. Card should already have a token on it to track re-roll... Why place another token? Is that token supposed to be of a separate color from your own (I was using one of my three tokens to track the Corp. re-rolls). Should the token (gained and placed) be good for only one round similar to the flavor dice? In other words, once the ability is gained through research, should then the token be placed on the card and discarded when the following rounds' ACTIVATE phase comes. If so, once my token is removed, does the re-roll level go back up to where the other token sits (which was on the card initially)?

I recently played this at Origins with the designer and this never came up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Neuschwander
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, use a separate color, different from your own 3 tokens to mark the Corp's re-roll level. No other token will ever be placed on the Corp's coaster.

Anytime you reach 1x or 2x for a research ability that says "Gain a token", you take one of your 3 tokens and place it at the end of the research track so you remember you have this option. You don't have to use it the very next activate phase, but can save it for a future turn if necessary. When you do choose to use that token, it is a one-time use, unlike most other abilities that you are allowed to use once every turn.

So, in the example of "Hack their Brew", when you choose to activate this ability, you move the Corp's (only) token on it's re-roll meter down one level. Then you discard your token to show that you have used up this ability.

Hope that clears things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I played the one player game initially also, against the reroll corp on "easy" and it dominated me so hard. cry

Had the same thing happen, it claimed Rainbow blend early, couldn't take it back and then it doubled up on blends towards the end and I couldn't get on top.

It's fine though, I don't imagine I'll play this way much at all, it's great with actual players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D G
msg tools
Thanks Jim. Yes, that makes sense. Ironically, I now see where in the rules this is explained. I'll replay and see if it's so easy now. Probably not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.