Fen Yan
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
I was teaching a friend ASLSK the other night. It was a bit of re-learning for me because it’s been a year or two since my last play of ASL. I owe the bulk of my ASL knowledge to the SoCal ASL club who are a great group of guys to learn the game from and hang out with. Also, reading through the updated rulebook in Decision at Elst helped considerably to get me back up to speed.

My opponent’s ASL play experience was a couple of games of ASLSK #1 about a year ago. He wanted to try out some vehicles and also to play on the historical map. The Bend in the Road from Decision at Elst seemed the right fit. 4 Shermans on one side and 1 Panther on the other, with their supporting cast of squads and SWs.

I provided a crash course on the basics of AFV movement and combat, and we started up the game. I think we got most of the rules right but I think missed the one about a vehicle being a moving target if it entered a hex or began/ended in motion even if it stopped during the turn (forgot about this thread http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/171644/moving-target-status).

The British need to get 16 FP points directed onto a hex past a bend in the road. The most direct way through is on the center road flanked by polder (drainage channels). Due to poor tactics, my infantry and tanks failed to coordinate on clearing a path through.

Bad luck struck the Germans early in the game. On the Panther's very first shot, its Main Armament malfunctioned. He then rolled a 1 to repair it in the next Rally Phase!

A most interesting battle ensued when I drove my Firefly up behind a building with an ambiguous LOS to the Panther. My opponent eyeballed the LOS and decided to shoot at some infantry instead.

On my turn, my Firefly took the shot and the LOS turned out to be clear by a millimeter or two. Unfortunately my hit bounced off the Panther’s armor. What was really funny was that the Panther had malfunctioned for a second time in the game on its previous shot but then was repaired (for the second time) on the next turn. His return shot on the Firefly was a hit and KO.

Despite the Allied firepower the Germans were resilient in their stone buildings. A Sherman's last ditch run (or should I say "last polder run") was turned back by a Panzerfaust. The remaining 3 good order squads in range of the objective didn’t bother trying to advance and we called it a game on the Allied half of the last turn (6).

It was a fun game and I’m looking forward to a playing it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. van H.
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write-up. And I agree, it is a fun scenario. The Brits need to use a lot of Smoke to cover their approach. Hunting the Panther is dangerous work, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Yan
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
Yes smoke on the HMG, among other things is essential!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kaufman
United States
Rosemead
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one. Thinking about play this one with the SoCal ASL Club tomorrow. Where did the Germans start the scenario? All near the village close to the bend in the road?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Yan
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
The Germans can set up several hexes forward of the bend if they so choose, the Panther moves on board Turn 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kaufman
United States
Rosemead
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, just wondering where they did in your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.