Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar» Forums » General

Subject: Fixing the loose middle cog rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Prosser
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After playing this game on-line I immediately set out to buy it.

Eventually I tracked down a copy of the game and the expansion. Opening time.

I flattened the middle cog with careful use of a paint stripping heat gun and painted the cogs. A small branch from my apple tree became wooden logs. Some decorative feldspar become stone and other items from the house became gold nuggets. I also forayed into the realm of Fimo to create corn-on-the-cob.

With the cogs suitably dry, assembly began. I placed each of the smaller cogs into their new homes and picked up the large cog ready for its placement. "Strange", I thought. The white peg passes straight through it. I was quite sure that shouldn't happen. After some rummaging I found some acetate and fashioned a small washer. Great. The big cog with the aid of the washer stayed where it should.

Play testing identified a problem; the middle cog was loose on its bearing and kept binding with the other, rather better behaved cogs.

After puzzling over this challenge for a couple of days, the solution was rather obvious. Make the peg larger.

Acetate, hole punch, super glue.

I took another piece of acetate, punched a small hole in it and super glued it to the underside of the peg.

Once the glue was dry and I'd separated the peg from my fingers, I trimmed the attached acetate until it was a snug fit into the top of the hole of the middle cog. A few moments later with the board assembled, the machinery operated as if it was well oiled.

Ready for another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
What have you used for the wood / stone / gold? they look amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Prosser
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For the wood, I pruned some branches off our apple tree and cut them down to similar lengths. I then washed them and allowed them to dry and finally graded them, i.e. chose about 40 that were similar diameters.

The stone is decorative feldspar. I bought a garden sized bag of the stuff from the local DIY store and picked out about 40 of the smaller chunks.

The gold was simply some small rocks that have been sprayed gold. I bought a tub of these (presprayed) from the flower arranging section of a local arts and crafts store.

I always like tinkering with games in this manner because I think it adds something extra to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.