Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
She liked farming...
badge
...he preferred stabbing things in the neck.
mbmbmbmbmb
My demi-daughter teaches studio art to little kids in an after-school program; you would think this would require a deep appreciation for the entire sweep of humans-wiping-poop-on-things, but you'd be wrong. She reviles anything that happened after 1899... while I rightly consider anything before 1915 to be mere decoration.

As she was going out the door this morning I offered a lesson plan for the day:

1) Start the kids off with a shot of cough syrup.

2) Create a Lord of the Flies situation with scheming leaders, hapless followers, arbitrary rules and outrageous punishments: arm punching, head squeezing, and the deep dark of the Monster Closet.

3) Instead of cookies & juice, the ones who begin to fail out of the bottom of this micro-society get crayons.

Great Art is sure to follow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hat the hell is a demi-daughter, and are they legal in Utah?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
In all seriousness (which is seriously out of place in a HiveGod thread, I know), to be an artist all you need is an audience. Even an audience of one, or the One. Go create some art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:

1) Start the kids off with a shot of laudanum.

2) Create a Lord of the Flies situation with scheming leaders, hapless followers, arbitrary rules and outrageous punishments: arm punching, head squeezing, and the deep dark of the Monster Closet.

3) Instead of cookies & juice, the ones who begin to fail out of the bottom of this micro-society get crayons.

Minor tweak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
bismarck1871 wrote:
HiveGod wrote:

Minor tweak.

Laudanum, sure, but absinthe would be easier to obtain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
bismarck1871 wrote:
HiveGod wrote:

Minor tweak.

Laudanum, sure, but absinthe would be easier to obtain.

You guys are so 19th century

Obviously, Ritalin would be the drug of choice for this day and age

Edit: On second thought, I think cough syrup is about right - numerous level-headed stories from local news sources have informed me that literally all schoolkids these days are tripping balls on cough syrup through roughly 90% of their waking hours

Of course, that means that they've got a bit of a tolerance, so you may also need to toss in about a dozen Benadryl per kid to achieve the desired results
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've often said "If you think you're an artist, you're not."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this time of year? Should be easy enough to find healthily growing Datura.

After ingesting, any survivors should be able to turn out FABULOUS work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe some Malcolm X Tea to start off the day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
An artist is one part talent but a bigger part salesman.

Case in point: Voice of Fire

Bought for National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa, for its permanent collection in 1989, at a cost of $1.8 million.

I've seen it in person. It is not that impressive.
Probably the most common sentence I heard spoken in the room was either, "I could have done that!" or "My six year-old could have done that!"

I just marvel at the sales job that the artist (or their agent) did, however. $1.8 million for that? And they bought it? Good on you, I say.
If you can convince a group of people that your painting is that valuable then you earned your dough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's easy to spend $1.8 million of someone Else's money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
An artist is one part talent but a bigger part salesman.

Case in point: Voice of Fire

Bought for National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa, for its permanent collection in 1989, at a cost of $1.8 million.

I've seen it in person. It is not that impressive.
Probably the most common sentence I heard spoken in the room was either, "I could have done that!" or "My six year-old could have done that!"

I just marvel at the sales job that the artist (or their agent) did, however. $1.8 million for that? And they bought it? Good on you, I say.
If you can convince a group of people that your painting is that valuable then you earned your dough.

Yeah, pretty much all of the 'abstract expressionist' stuff is, I think anyone but an art snob would agree, crap.

Which isn't to say the ARTISTS are bad - the local museum had a show on Mark Rothko a year or so back, and some of his earlier paintings are really remarkably evocative. But these blobs of colors are just not...interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
She liked farming...
badge
...he preferred stabbing things in the neck.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

NEEDS MORE COUGH SYRUP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
"I could have done that!" or "My six year-old could have done that!"

Which is not true else everyone would done that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
MABBY wrote:
"I could have done that!" or "My six year-old could have done that!"

Which is not true else everyone would done that.

well, perhaps it would never occur to an 'intelligent' 6 year old to 'do that' as; it appears way too easy, and, since it is non-representational, unnecessary to 'do that'.

however, as George Carlin once said, someone can take 2 things that have never been nailed together - nail them together - and some other person will buy it. Like, a gasoline-powered turtle-neck sweater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
You guys are so 19th century

Obviously, Ritalin would be the drug of choice for this day and age

I would say 2,5-Dimethoxy-4-methylamphetamine or DOM, or STP... its pretty hip right now. (RIP Dr. Alexander Shulgin)

toku42 wrote:
Edit: On second thought, I think cough syrup is about right -

PROTIP: DXM (Dextromethorphan) is available in gel tabs over the counter without any other active ingredients. I do not recommend it, but if you must, it's the syrup that is worse for you than the DXM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.