Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that, after each player is dealt (or "draws" as the rules specify) 8 share cards, he or she must select "2 share cards from different airlines."

What if the very unlikely happens and all 8 of your share cards are from the same airline?

I would say that, not only would this prevent you following the rule in question, it would mean that this play will be totally unbalanced. Players should throw in their cards, shuffle, and re-deal.

Fortunately, players can detect this before the tedious process of distributing the scoring cards in the share supply deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The won't* happen. Don't worry about it.

As a house rule, I'd say that if it ever does happen (even tho it won't) that person automatically wins. Reshuffle and start again.

But, did I mention... it won't happen.

* even in a 2-player game, with only 7 airlines in the deck, there's less than a 1 in 100,000 chance of that happening. In a full game it's less than one in 40 million.

** actually, the chances are even far less than that, I think. That was assuming each draw has a 1 in 7 chance of matching the last one, but, with cards (as opposed to dice) the chance of drawing an additional match decreases with each draw. I think. People good at the maths feel free to comment... I'm always really interested in this type of thing.

*** actually, actually... it's further complicated by the fact that each airline has a different number of shares, iirc. Okay, now the maths are way beyond me. I'm reverting to my original simple answer... don't worry about it, it won't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't it say somewhere in the rules that if this happens, you redeal that players hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
does it? That would be surprising that they'd waste the time and space on something that isn't really ever going to happen.

And, my maths were off... I was assuming drawing 7 cards. With 8 it's almost 1 in a million chance for a 2 player game, and 1 in 10 million for a full game. I'm sure they're still off, but, a lot closer to actual probability now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:
Doesn't it say somewhere in the rules that if this happens, you redeal that players hand?

Not that I can see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Eryigit
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my version of the rulebook (At the end of page 3):
Quote:
In the unlikely event that a player has nothing but shares of a single airline, then his hand is reshuffled into the deck and he receives 8 new shares.

As pointed out, the probability of such a case is almost zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
susanoo wrote:
From my version of the rulebook (At the end of page 3):
Quote:
In the unlikely event that a player has nothing but shares of a single airline, then his hand is reshuffled into the deck and he receives 8 new shares.

Thanks very much!

That statement is in the Abacus English rules (which I have but forgot to consult) but not in the Rio Grande rules.

My OP did acknowledge that this case was "very unlikely."

Thanks to all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kamps
United States
Richmond
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once when we were playing, all the shares of airlines to choose from (except maybe 1, can't remember) were all the same Airline. We weren't sure if we should leave them (& possibly have to alter our strategy accordingly), or if we should get rid of the whole row of available shares of stock & deal out a new row of shares to choose from (like one would do when playing Ticket To Ride & there are 3 Wild's in the row to select trains from).

Which is the correct way to play it? Reshuffle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.