10 Posts

Munchkin» Forums » General

Subject: Play them by Order? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maokai
msg tools
Hello,

We have been playing Munchkin for a while now (the Base set) and I feel like it time to grow.
The natural pick will be "Un-natural axe" (haha), but I recall reading somewhere that technically, you can combine any Munchkin sets and it will still work.

If that's true, should I still be picked the 2nd game? or perhaps other expansion added more variety/new mechanism to the game and are preferred?
Take in mind I prefer to stay on the Fantasy Theme, and that I don't see myself buying all of the expansions. So a focused experience is preferred.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While you can mix and match any way you want, combining two sets or multiple expansions tends to lead to many poor hands, limits available combos and drags the game out.

I think you get more varied experience by changing up among the games you have instead of mixing them all together or overloading with expansions.

I have 10 different Munchkin games. The original game sees less table time than most because it is kind of ponderous with 8-10 expansions and I can't be bothered to resort the cards. Not when I can just grab one of the other games that has just one or two expansions and start playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
I'm confused

"I think you get more varied experience by changing up among the games you have instead of mixing them all together or overloading with expansions. "

"I have 10 different Munchkin games. The original game sees less table time than most because it is kind of ponderous with 8-10 expansions and I can't be bothered to resort the cards. Not when I can just grab one of the other games that has just one or two expansions and start playing."

What are you referring in "Games"? your implying you prefer to get a new Card game (which is not munchkin) instead of overloading games you already have with expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's talking about the different 'versions' of Munchkin - for instance, I have Munchkin (with 3 expansions), Munchkin Bites (with 1 expansion) and Munchkin Apocalypse (with 1 expansion). So that's three different games, each with its own expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Oh, OK
That's makes more sense now. Any place where I can get a list of the "Flavors" Munchkin comes with and from what world they drawing the art/jokes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Munchkin_series#

That should be the complete list. Personally, I highly recommend Apocalypse. The theme is fantastic and the gameplay even more fun than the other versions i've played (I love the 'seals' of the apocalypse). It also doesn't have many expansions, so there's no danger of 'overloading' it, but the expansions it does have (Mars Attacks and the radioactive d6 are really fun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Thank you Nick. I noticed that some of the Fantasy references and jokes require some past experience with the Fantasy world. My friends are mostly casual and I'm looking for a flavor that will make people enjoy and laugh the jokes on cards even without deep knowledge in a specific genre?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. So far I've only played the three versions I own, so I can't really say which of the others would be good for your purposes. I would say the best idea would be to start with some of idea of what theme your friends would be most familiar with.

Still, I would personally say that (at least for anyone reasonably familiar with American popular culture) either Munchkin Bites or Munchkin Apocalypse would be pretty decent at filling that niche. A lot of the cards tend to parody famous movies and such (MB has several cards making fun of Twilight, for instance, and a card based on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, among lots of others). There will probably still be some cards in there that people won't necessarily get (for instance, one of the strongest monsters in MA is 'the Great Cthulhu', which is a bit more of a cult reference - no pun intended ).

But even if someone doesn't understand every single joke, both of these versions are much more solidly grounded in a world that seems considerably more recognizable to the average person than the fantasy setting of the original game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Thanks again, I'm checking them both now, and I might pick any of those instead a new Fantasy expansion. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wright
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For casual players, who wouldn't get most of the fantasy jokes, I would play Munchkin Legends. It has references to Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster and other more common urban myths. It has Fantasy card backs, race and class as the regular vanilla flavored Munchkin and would fit in, if you decided to mix.

For a really brutal deck, mix Legends with Holiday Surprise to be dropping Wandering Monsters with Undead and Santa monsters too.

But Star is great for sci-fi fans and Super for comic fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.