Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: mice and mystics vs descent 2 for new gamer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
amer unis
msg tools
Hi there, I have both games and I am planning on playing with my 9 year old son and wife. At this stage im trying to get the rule books on both games and watch videos.

However, is it just me or do the rules and complexity of Mice and Mystics seem more complicated and less intuitive the Descent 2? D2 seems to make more intuitive sense and seems easier to learn even though minimun age group is higher? Is is just me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted this in a D2 vs M+M similar question before:

I have played both, but only own Descent.

Best part of Mice and Mystics over Descent is the gameplay without a GM/DM/Overlord. [Personal opinion of course]

If Descent had such a system it would crush M+M, but yes complete different ends of the spectrum.

Story : Push
Gameplay : M+M (Descent feels like a 'race' game at times)
Components : Descent
Replay Value : Descent it just has more scenarios and items.

M+M has a better initial luster, Descent will hold its weight over time.

To answer your last question, on M+M you are playing the system it is actually easier. Descent one person is out to kill the other players so it seems intuitive, but there is more minutiae. Descent (to me) is more tactical, than M+M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krechevskoy wrote:
Replay Value : Descent it just has more scenarios and items.

It is also built on a previous version so it by default can pull from a ton and nobody does expansion spam like FFG. Sometimes you have to ask yourself "How much replay do I really need?" In the end I think M&M will have more than enough.

EDIT: M&M's rules aren't the best. Even the designer house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
I game...
badge
...and I'm a gnome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think Descent is overrated garbage. That's a pretty harsh statement, but it is only my opinion and I'm part of a minority with such feelings about the game.

Mice and Mystics is much simpler to learn and less annoying to play. So that's where my vote goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lazzaro

Schaumburg
Illinois
msg tools
Both are good choices, but when playing with new gamers I always lean towards the cooperative game as the fully open communication towards the common goal makes it a little easier. Therefore I would have to go with Mice and Mystics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.