Subject: Long Car ride+Anthem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading this on the way to UMass, anyone got thoughts on it? I'll give a review once I finish, it doesn't seem too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Which UMass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
University of Massechusetts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
University of Massechusetts.

Obviously. Which one? Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth,...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Ayn Rand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amhearst. Ayn Rand. Finished the book. It really is an unpolished version of her later works. She doesn't even attempt to address the contradictions in her philosophy, and the narative is laughable. Later works would take pains (and be painful to read) including long essays to try and reconcile some of the critiques.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in 7th grade, I took up a note from English class saying that the next book we were to study was going to be The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Normally this just meant we needed to go out and buy a copy of the book so that we could read it beforehand and it was no big deal. Except Dad saw the note and informed me I would not be reading it, and he wrote a note to that effect I was to take to the teacher. Alright. Dad was a bit weird and did this now and again except always before it was because he thought a book too sexually explicit-- which he was extremely strict about. He didn't explain in detail this time but when I asked just said that, no, the book was not sexually explicit but that he found the philosophy it expounded abhorrent and did not want be reading it.

I ever went back and read her on my own mostly because I'm fine reading philosophy and I'm fine reading fiction but prefer something which is one or the other, not both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't most decent science fiction covering both philosophy and fiction at the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Isn't most decent science fiction covering both philosophy and fiction at the same time?

No, themes are not the same as being a treatise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fountainhead has a really awkward rape/not rape(yes rape) scene in it that is very jarring. I can only attribute itto the running theme of women as prizes and a sort of sexual fantasy of Rand's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
The Fountainhead has a really awkward rape/not rape(yes rape) scene in it that is very jarring. I can only attribute itto the running theme of women as prizes and a sort of sexual fantasy of Rand's.

So maybe Dad had heard about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
If you have a longer car ride, I recommend Anathem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
hibikir wrote:

Ahh you mean you just dislike preachy SF. That's fair enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
whac3 wrote:
hibikir wrote:

Yes, that's why I dislike later Asimov and Clarke and virtually anything by Heinlein.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
hibikir wrote:

You probably would not like the Honor Harrington series then. On one hand it's a great exploration of interstellar war that tries to be realistic and at least touch on many of the variables involved and has some good crunchy hard sci-fi in it, but the political dialogues are over-the-top and clearly biased. Though, as the series goes on, the author seems to be developing a more nuanced stance instead of head over heels libertarianism, but it can still get tiresome. Maybe politics in general is tiresome in a fictional setting. I'm sure it could be handled better in this example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
whac3 wrote:
hibikir wrote:

You probably would not like the Honor Harrington series then. On one hand it's a great exploration of interstellar war that tries to be realistic and at least touch on many of the variables involved and has some good crunchy hard sci-fi in it, but the political dialogues are over-the-top and clearly biased. Though, as the series goes on, the author seems to be developing a more nuanced stance instead of head over heels libertarianism, but it can still get tiresome. Maybe politics in general is tiresome in a fictional setting. I'm sure it could be handled better in this example.

I read and liked the first one of the series. While it's not great literature it's a fun read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:

And if you want a long car ride anthem, I recommend Dethklok's Lost Vikings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

I read and liked the first one of the series. While it's not great literature it's a fun read.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, for the most part it is entertaining. It just has some warts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
andyl wrote:
whac3 wrote:
hibikir wrote:

Yes, that's why I dislike later Asimov and Clarke and virtually anything by Heinlein.

Hmm I can't think of anything by Clarke (and just by Clarke) which is overly preachy. At least not as obnoxiously so as some of Heinlein, Rand and some Tepper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, for the most part it is entertaining. It just has some warts.

You also forgot to mention the increasing Mary-Sue-ism in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:

You also forgot to mention the increasing Mary-Sue-ism in the series.

Yeah, it's kind of a super hero story in that way, and really whether it's Sue/Stu it's pretty common in sci-fi. I don't mind it too much, other that what I mentioned in the Reading thread, the hero worship by the other characters gets a bit much especially when they drone on about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:

Press Play. Press Repeat. Enjoy the ride.

but it's Rush. gulp yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

but it's Rush. gulp yuk

To bring it slightly back on topic, Alex (guitar player) was a big objectivist at one time, maybe still is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Mohling
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:

I was thinking exactly this when I read the thread title. It's one of my favorite books, but it's a bit dense at first. I needed to restart and read the beginning a few times to get used to the strange jargon, but it was a mind-blowing delight once I got into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
So what you're saying here, is that you have a hearing deficiency?

I've excellent hearing actually but Rush is composed of musicians who may know how to play the instruments well but picked the worst possible lead singer and whose lyrics are often simply annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.