Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject says it all. This game looks amazing and I'm sure I'll back this on Kickstarter. It borrows some very well loved mechanics I liked from Concordia with your actions coming from a card set.

With that being said, I really think the artistic style is lacking and/or utilitarian. The iconography seems good enough, but all the bland, washed out colors, or even lack thereof on the wonders really makes me want to second guess this game.

I'm sure this design is well past changing any of these things, and I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but in the off chance this could potentially influence final design, I thought I'd have to say something.

Looking forward to the KS this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Wallendael
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great subject however, the art work really detracts from the game. I will not be backing this project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are relatively few great civ games. I am not saying this is going to be one, but if it turns out to be then I doubt anyone will be spending much time discussing the artwork. It is a bit different than the very crowded middle-weight euro field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurelio Agustin
Venezuela
San Diego
Carabobo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indeed,the art could be improved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
The graphic design of the board itself is amazing. The art on the cards is just blah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
The graphic design of the board itself is amazing. The art on the cards is just blah.

I don't think I'd go this far for the board. It's usable at best. Looks like a bunch of water color squares on a parchment color. It would be nice to see the main board spruced up to be an evolving, technological map possibly depicting artwork for the technologies throughout the ages.
Edit:
I guess the board kind of does this, but the penciled art under the colors is uninspired and seems like a sketch, rather than finished design.
Also, the territories you can take over should possibly be a nicely drawn globe with vibrant colors.

The cards are another story. I don't mind the advisers so much. In fact, they are pretty good if the rest of the artwork matched them. The basic action cards and the wonders aren't even fully colored and look like placeholder art in my opinion.

After reading through the rulebook, I think there is an amazing game here, so I'll probably muster through the unappealing artwork, but this game needs a graphical pass to achieve full greatness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwieger
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scratching my head after reading these posts. Another shot at civ-lite brought me to the game page, but the artwork and design are what kept me here long enough to read about the game. I'm so tired of the overproduced FFG look or clipart of other civ games. I think the matrix with the underlying artwork is very well done and the wonder and action cards showing little color are both striking and elegant. The only thing that doesn't really work as far as I can tell are the bright playing pieces. I'm also not fond of the cover, which gives off a different vibe than the game itself. I look forward to seeing this take on civilization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Junkie
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I like the art, it helps the game to stand out. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HannibalUltor wrote:
Scratching my head after reading these posts. Another shot at civ-lite brought me to the game page, but the artwork and design are what kept me here long enough to read about the game. I'm so tired of the overproduced FFG look or clipart of other civ games. I think the matrix with the underlying artwork is very well done and the wonder and action cards showing little color are both striking and elegant. The only thing that doesn't really work as far as I can tell are the bright playing pieces. I'm also not fond of the cover, which gives off a different vibe than the game itself. I look forward to seeing this take on civilization.

I understand your point of view on this, but this game isn't even consistent. Box art is one style, game board is another, the action cards are mixed color and no color, the wonders have no color and the advisers are done in a completely different art style with full color.
Personally, I wish everything was in the style of the advisers.
The gameplay mechanics are phenomenal to me though. I will be backing this game even though I do not prefer the artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MilkFromACow wrote:
HannibalUltor wrote:

I understand your point of view on this, but this game isn't even consistent. Box art is one style, game board is another, the action cards are mixed color and no color, the wonders have no color and the advisers are done in a completely different art style with full color.
Personally, I wish everything was in the style of the advisers.
The gameplay mechanics are phenomenal to me though. I will be backing this game even though I do not prefer the artwork.

It's an all-inclusive approach. All styles are welcome! No one is left behind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The action cards have conditions on them that must be satisfied in order to use their advanced function. The icon used for this is different based on the level of technology required. This is a terrible design choice. There should be a single icon for tech level on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Art can certainly lift a game - and some games need more of a lift than others! I must admit, I was so intrigued by this one that I failed to notice the art, and if the game is as good as my first impression led me to believe it might be, then the art will be a very minor consideration.

That's just me of course - I know that less than good art may deter some buyers. The other day, in a review of my all time favourite game (Through the Ages) - I read of it being described as "ugly". I was quite amused. I had to think hard to remember what it looks like(!) - even though I know the function of all the cards in the game inside out, having played it many times. Because I'm always so engrossed in the play itself, the artwork barely registers with me.

So - I'm hoping that the art in Historia is going to be an irrelevance as far as I'm concerned, but I hope it's good enough to draw players in who might be undecided about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still better than Nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onetonmee wrote:
Still better than Nations.

I agree with this, but I don't like Nations either, and I despise the utilitarian art design of Through the Ages. I really understand points of view like John Bradshaw have, where an engrossing game can allow you to overlook the art, but that is definitely not for everyone. I play most of my games with my wife, and if they are not pretty, it's damn near impossible to even get her to play, unless it's someling like Zombie Dice.

I actually have done a lot of looking over the components for Historia, and I guess I don't mind the Action cards so much either. They are a little more polished than I had initially thought, but I still wish they'd be a bit more in line with the Advisor cards. Also, I really hope they decide to color the Wonders to bring them in line with the other components as well.

I'm very excited about this games gameplay though. Some of the designed mechanics seems masterful and fluid to easily keep the downtime for 5-6 players pretty low. Really looking forward the the launch tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Canales wrote:
I like the art, it helps the game to stand out. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Just wanted to echo here. I actually love the simplicity and clarity of the art. Not to mention its different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
NO FUN - NO CORE - NO TRENDS - NO MOSH
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
The action cards have conditions on them that must be satisfied in order to use their advanced function. The icon used for this is different based on the level of technology required. This is a terrible design choice. There should be a single icon for tech level on the cards.

what do you mean? The icon depicted on the advanced function is the same depicted on the board...so you can immediately know if you can or not do that advanced action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I'm not a huge fan of some of the art (though I love the box cover), but I just wish it was consistent. I'm sure I'll get over it, but it would be nice if improved art was a stretch goal or something. Given the timetable, I'm not holding my breath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
You know, I'm not a huge fan of some of the art (though I love the box cover), but I just wish it was consistent. I'm sure I'll get over it, but it would be nice if improved art was a stretch goal or something. Given the timetable, I'm not holding my breath.

Neither am I, but on the KS, they did indicate they are still working on component/art upgrades. I specifically asked about adding color to the Wonder cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I should read more closely. Makes me feel better for backing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agzaroth wrote:
ekted wrote:

what do you mean? The icon depicted on the advanced function is the same depicted on the board...so you can immediately know if you can or not do that advanced action.

All I need is a number, not some distracting icon that means nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Agzaroth wrote:
ekted wrote:

Meh. I don't see how that is any better.

The techs seem to be thematically linked, so it seems to be easier to work with the thematic icon over just a number. I think it would be a terrible design choice to only put a number to be quite frank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buzz Boke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the choosen decission is elegant and basic at the same time, don't distracts and maintain the theme, those who just need the number have them, and those like me that apreciate the theme have the icons. All about the art likes me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

From what I can tell of the videos and pictures, the tech/military number is displayed next to the icon on both the game board and the cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garmon
United States
Panama City
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of what I've seen of the art makes the game look incomplete. When I watched Rahdo's runthrough, I thought this must be a prototype version of the game with placeholder art. I was disappointed to learn that it was the actual art and if I were on the fence, I would personally choose to not purchase it due to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew White
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to really like the art because its a different style. It has a certain type of comic book style about it, a little like in Corto. We don't need to have every game following some kind of assumed art style. I think its nice to have something different. And also, art can sometimes grow on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.