Harbour» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Industrial mage reviews Harbour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Industrial Mage
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Since 2013 and throughout the first half of 2014, there is a trend of games that focus on one or two mechanics and have a small shelf footprint, hence the name microgame. Many of these games strip the game down to one or two decisions and last between 30 to 60 minutes. The latest game in this trend is from Tasty Minstrel Games who are building a reputation on micro games.

Harbour is a game that centers on collecting and selling four different resources. The game ends when a player has purchased their 4th building. After that round finishes, the winner is the player with the most victory points.

Your ability to get money to buys buildings surrounds the market card. The resources move up and down the track depending on which are used to buy buildings. The movement of the resources on the market card is the hardest thing to understand about the game. (Still not that difficult) It is pretty intuitive once you understand it.

The two things that add depth and strategy to this game are the building cards and your character ability. Let’s start with the character card first.

At first glance, the characters may seem imbalanced, but the balance issue depends on which buildings are in play. In all of the plays that I have played, with every player counts, the balance issue really is not large because (1) the game length and (2) the wide variety of buildings. Only one of our games seemed really imbalanced. I found a bigger problem with the chaos of a four player game and only having four characters to choose from. Tasty Minstrel Games has already stated that the back of the character cards will have no abilities, if players so choose.

The main enjoyment and depth of the game comes from the building cards.

The first thing I noticed was the awesome fantasy art theme to the buildings. The depth of this game comes from the four different symbols on the middle right of the cards.

COINS – Coins reduce the cost of a building by $1. These are cumulative.
WAREHOUSE – Players may keep one shipped good for each warehouse symbol they own.
ANCHOR – used to gain extra benefit from some buildings. These are cumulative.
TOP HAT – Allows a player to use buildings owned by other players without paying to use them.

Buildings were bought, first with symbols in mind, letting us make an engine for buying cheaper buildings or getting resources quicker. One of my friends always went after the top hat so we wouldn’t get any bonuses. You will have to plan your strategy accordingly, because of the variety of buildings in the game.

Pros:
Hits that light economic euro itch. (if you are so inclined)
Game length usually around 30 minutes.
Really good and fun card art.
Surprising depth and strategy for a microgame.
Great game for 2 or 3 players.

Cons:
Imbalance with some character and building combos
Too much chaos to plan your moves in a 4 player game
#1 complaint- Not enough character card choices.

Final Thoughts
I plan on kickstarting this game when the project goes live. My biggest complaint with this game will most likely be resolved with stretch goals, because they sent me seven more character cards. I understand the need for stretch goals, but the base game feels less than what it could have been if there would have been more character cards. Beside that this is a very fun light economic game and I look forward to seeing a finished product, and if you are looking for or like light economic euro games then take a look at Harbour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Industrial mage wrote:

I plan on kickstarting this game when the project goes live. My biggest complaint with this game will most likely be resolved with stretch goals, because they sent me seven more character cards.

With currently 8 characters unlocked by stretch goals, 2 more coming in the next $12,000 of funding and another 9 that we can unlock...

I think we have you covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.