United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
It dawned on me today that there is one thing missing here on BGG. Gaming magazines. There are a number of really good gaming magazines in the hobby. Just off the top of my head I can think of Archair General, Strategy & Tactics, C3i and Games magazine. However these aren't covered here on BGG. I think it would be great to see these magazines get a bit of coverage here. People could rate them and list if they are a subscriber to the magazine (as compared to owning a game) and rate them just like they do games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One of the impacts of the Internet on my daily life is that I've moved from almost thirty magazine/periodicals subscriptions (no lie) to zero. That's right, zero. Nada, zip, zilch, nuthin', zero. I've yet to think of a reason I'd want to go back to paper. Mailing lists, Usenet, websites, search engines, glorified databases like the 'geek -- in concert they are far more useful than periodicals ever were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Carlson
United States
Unspecified
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
While I agree with J.C. that the internet makes gathering information on any subject (including boardgames) more useful than most periodicals, I still often prefer a good old print magazine over an on-line one. I reckon it is because, I don’t read magazines just for information. That may sound odd, but there is some synergistic occurrence taking place. For whatever reason (tactile sensation? childhood memories?) I just get more enjoyment from a traditional print delivery system than this electronic medium. Maybe it is the same reason I play more boardgames than video games. So I, for one, would be interested in feedback on magazines out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powell
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mo. Over the last 20 years I must have moved a dozen times and many times I give away games just so I don't have to lug them around. I never give away my old issues of The General by Avalon Hill. Every 6 - 12 months I go through them, look at the covers and re-read great articles.

Now the old Avalon Hill Games are collectors items on e-bay. During their hey day everyone was complaining about not having enough opponents, long rule books and no time to play. I wonder if AH would have done better if they had the internet to help market their games and for players to find each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand J C's point on the internet and how it has effected information. However the magazines are still useful and they offer more than just dabbles of information you can find just as easy on the internet. Many game magazines offer small mini games inside or varient counters and other things for already released games. For example the next issue of C3i a new game module for GMT's game Downtown. Past issues have had new scenarios for Gringo and Europe Engulfed. Also Armchair General to me is full of information (and fantastic maps) that you just don't find on the internet for free.

I really think it would be useful for folks to be able to get feedback on game magazines just as they do the games themselves here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bent Prop wrote:
I agree with Mo. Over the last 20 years I must have moved a dozen times and many times I give away games just so I don't have to lug them around. I never give away my old issues of The General by Avalon Hill. Every 6 - 12 months I go through them, look at the covers and re-read great articles.

I give away games, still do, but I give or more likely throw away magazines even more quickly. I recently tossed at least 700 kilos of back issues (clayed paper is heavy) of C++ report, C Users Journal, PCW, Byte, Dr Dobb's Journal, BUG, ACM, IETF, ISO, SIGGGraph, POSIX and XOPEN reports, full runs of various professional journals that only stuck around for a couple years, reams and reams of printouts and photocopies of various articles and other bits etc etc etc. All gone to the recyclers. They're just not useful any more and the space they took is more valuable.

Quote:
Now the old Avalon Hill Games are collectors items on e-bay.

Yeah, it turned out that I could have made a grand or two if I'd bothered to sell the stuff I tossed. I thought about it at the time, but the hassle seemed larger than the money, especially given that I would have had to winnow the few gems from the huge mound of chaff.

mrbeankc wrote:
However the magazines are still useful and they offer more than just dabbles of information you can find just as easy on the internet.

True, however I find that the effort of finding those extra bits and bos is far higher than their worth.

Quote:
Many game magazines offer small mini games inside or varient counters and other things for already released games.

Yep, and they're common here on the 'geek as well (tho perjhaps not for wargaming -- I don't follow that genre). I've made many such given an hour with a colour pinter, spray glue and picture matt.

Quote:
I really think it would be useful for folks to be able to get feedback on game magazines just as they do the games themselves here on BGG.

Fair dinkum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there have been some posts about gaming magazines.

i think there could b a section of game related magazines and links to theirs sites for users who are interested and i would imagine there are likely more who would be interested then not. =D

I commute to and fro work everyday and thus enjoy magazines while i'm in transit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Books about games exist in the BGG database. Adding Game magazines seems like a logical next step. If the magazines were catorgized by genre (wargaming, euro games, miniatures, puzzles, general, etc.) it would facilitate finding magazines of a certain type. This would be the quick way to answer forum questions about the existance of magazines for a particular genre.

Within each magazine page, the forums could discuss individual issues and highlight the better articles as well as allow users to discuss/argue the merits of various magazine articles. The image section might contain scans of each issue's cover.

Seems like Magazines would be a useful addition to BoardGameGeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
darlok wrote:
there have been some posts about gaming magazines.

Definitely... see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/tagutils.php?action=viewtag&tag... for at least a partial list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.