Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) It says each players are to start with a certain number of coins (3-5) and to flip each one before play.
What is considered a "hand" in this game? If I start with 5 coins, does that mean I flip all 5 and then place them on the table in front of me however they landed, and that's my hand?

2) Turn step 1 says to "Draw a tail."
Draw from what? It seems from one of the faqs there is a central "pool" of coins (I assume if you start with 10 coins per player, this is where the extra 5 each go that the players don't start with) - but do all of the pool coins need to be flipped too, so you can only draw a coin if it's a tail? What if there are no tails, do you not get to draw? Or can you draw any coin, but it must be a tail once you place it in your hand?

3) On the "Cthulu" step, it says to flip 3 coins, and then if there are coins on "the location" (I assume this means the one that a coin was just placed on? And then I assume that means there were no coins *before* you just placed one on it, as obviously now there will be one on it since you just placed one there?) the "top coin" needs to be placed depending on if it is heads or tails.

3b) What is the "top coin"? The last one flipped? If so why even bother flipping 3 coins, why not just flip one coin and place it?
(Ohhhhhhh is it talking about the stack of coins already on the space? If so does that mean Cthulu does 3 separate coin flips, and for each one a coin is removed from the stack? How would that even work... essentially every turn any coin you place would be instantly removed by Cthulu... I don't get it...)

3c) It then says if there are no coins on the location, follow the instructions on the location. Does this mean that you *don't* follow the instructions if there were coins there previously?

4) The "Carcasa" space limits player hand size - it doesn't say anywhere, but am I correctly assuming this starts at 7 and works down to 3 as the game progresses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
3) On the "Cthulu" step, it says to flip 3 coins, and then if there are coins on "the location" (I assume this means the one that a coin was just placed on? And then I assume that means there were no coins *before* you just placed one on it, as obviously now there will be one on it since you just placed one there?) the "top coin" needs to be placed depending on if it is heads or tails.

OK, I figured this one out - some spaces on the card/board are split into two sides, one of which says "Cthulu" on it with 3 coin facings. How the three flipped coins land determines the action you take. For example, if you flip and get heads-heads-tails, you would perform the "Cthulu" action on the "Innsmouth" space. Got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
3c) It then says if there are no coins on the location, follow the instructions on the location. Does this mean that you *don't* follow the instructions if there were coins there previously?

Ok and with this one I've now figured out this is referring only to the instructions under the "Cthulu" side of a space.
Which leaves the question, are the "non-Cthulu" instructions followed as soon as a coin is placed there then?

And on a related note, on Miskatonic Univ, it says if I place a coin there, to move the topmost coin along an arrow.
If I'm moving along arrows, do I still need to follow the hand requirements? For example can I slide a coin from Miskatonic to Kingsport even if I don't have the 3 tails in hand?

Also, isn't the "topmost coin" on Miskatonic going to be the one I just played? And, that being the case, does that mean on turn 1 I can place my coin here, and then *immediately* slide it to another spot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hochberg
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
First, Steve, thanks for posting about Postcard Cthulhu!

I see that you have solved some of your issues, but in the interest of completeness, I'll put all of the answers here:

1) It says each players are to start with a certain number of coins (3-5) and to flip each one before play. What is considered a "hand" in this game? If I start with 5 coins, does that mean I flip all 5 and then place them on the table in front of me however they landed, and that's my hand?

- Yes, at the start of the game, your hand is whatever you agree to start with. The fewer coins you begin with, the more challenging the game will be. Flip all of those coins, and that will be your starting hand.

2) Turn step 1 says to "Draw a tail."
Draw from what? It seems from one of the faqs there is a central "pool" of coins (I assume if you start with 10 coins per player, this is where the extra 5 each go that the players don't start with) - but do all of the pool coins need to be flipped too, so you can only draw a coin if it's a tail? What if there are no tails, do you not get to draw? Or can you draw any coin, but it must be a tail once you place it in your hand?

- It's true that you always draw a tail (making them easier to get than heads), but you do not need to flip them. And you are correct that the additional coins recommended make up the pool. So whenever you are instructed to "draw a coin" it comes from that pool, and when you "draw a tail," simply set that coin to tails in your hand.

- If I understand your question, here is the answer: on each player's turn, they may end up putting a coin on a location FROM THEIR HAND, either heads or tails depending on what was required to play on the space. For example, if you needed 3 tails to play on a space, then you MUST play a TAIL on that space. You will then have one less tail in your hand. If there are any coins already there, the new coin goes on top of them. You don't change the order of the coins.

- When it's Cthulhu's play, Cthulhu will do what it says on the space chosen by the flip of his coins UNLESS there is a researcher coin on that space. If there is, then instead of following the instructions for Cthulhu, the top coin goes to either Yogsothoth (heads) or Nyarlathotep (tails). Thus, it's important what the topmost coin is, as it determines which of those spaces the coin goes to.

- This matters because should Cthulhu later play on either on R'lyeh and The Dreamlands, players can lose heads or tails depending on the number of coins on Yogsothoth or Nyarlathotep

3b) What is the "top coin"? The last one flipped? If so why even bother flipping 3 coins, why not just flip one coin and place it?
(Ohhhhhhh is it talking about the stack of coins already on the space? If so does that mean Cthulu does 3 separate coin flips, and for each one a coin is removed from the stack? How would that even work... essentially every turn any coin you place would be instantly removed by Cthulu... I don't get it...)

- The coins for Cthulhu are separate from the researchers' coins. Often for researchers, we use pennies, and for Cthulhu we use nickels, dimes, or quarters. The 3 Cthulhu coins are never placed on the board. They are only flipped to determine what Cthulhu will do.

- Correct.

4) The "Carcasa" space limits player hand size - it doesn't say anywhere, but am I correctly assuming this starts at 7 and works down to 3 as the game progresses?

- Not quite. At the start of the game, there is no limit to hand size. Once a single coin appears on a space in Carcosa, the hand limit kicks in. If there are 3 coins on 7, but none on 6, the hand limit is 7. Once a coin appears on 6, then the hand limit is 6. As soon as the 3rd coin appears on 3, Cthulhu wins.

I hope that helps. You may find other helpful hints here:

http://blog.modestgames.com/post/86763288291/postcard-cthulh...

Thanks again for taking time to ask, and we hope you enjoy Postcard Cthulhu!

- Eliot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Limbaugh

California
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also this tutorial video might help:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.