Bob Gabel
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Secretly John Masanori
mbmbmbmbmb
So you own all the cards, got three core sets and two copies of Opening Moves, some sweet Alt Arts and a playmat or two. Why would you want to draft?

Well recently I funded a draft for three people. Another friend in my community bought in himself, so I didn't quite have to shell out my entire games budget for the next couple months, but Netrunner hasn't quite taken off where I am, so any time I can spend in the shops around here showing people how awesome Netrunner is, and letting them see groups of people have fun playing it, is very valuable.

We drafted the latest Overdrive set, and I justified my purchase by telling myself I would walk away with some cool cards from the Lunar Cycle that I could play around with until their official release. Now I am sitting at home, going through my cards (six packs worth), thinking about what I got out of the draft, and how much I enjoyed it. Here are my thoughts in a nutshell.

What I got out of the Overdrive Draft:

1) 51 Lunar Cycle Cards (25 of them Runner) with which to play around with.
2) 1 copy of Desperado, and 1 copy of Aesop's that I will for sure use to build multiple copies of decks.
3) 187 other assorted cards which I will be handing out as Prize Support for our Core Set Tournament sometime next month. This is awesome, as these cards are basically free new toys to beginning runners or people who are on the edge about getting into the rest of the game.
4) 18 Bajillion (ok 9) plastic clam shell containers that are good for absolutely nothing.
5) Looked baller dropping $80 so my friends and I could play Netrunner for 5 hours.
6) Five solid hours of fun with friends. Everyone enjoyed themselves and we got a lot of publicity as other store patrons would come over and ask questions, which is always a good thing.

Overall, I don't think I will be doing this again any time particularly soon, especially if I have to fund multiple sets for people. I would do a half draft a lot more often if I could find the people to play Netrunner with around here. I am particularly keen on using the cards I got as prize support as I think new players will be really excited to have free cards. As far as a regular draft where I just pay for myself... maybe once every couple months, but more likely once every different draft set comes out.

Also, does anyone else enjoy the smell of the card ink, especially that your hands end up smelling like sweet paper after a few hours of handling the POD cards, or is that just me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is there a chance that I put my hands on copies of the 1 of in the core set during drafts? (Especially Desperado and San San!)

I have two core sets and 1 of every Data pack and big expension! But not being able to build complete decks, especially really good and standard decks (How many runner decks run desperado or FA NBN with san sans!), after paying so much money? I mean that's not fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:
Is there a chance that I put my hands on copies of the 1 of in the core set during drafts? (Especially Desperado and San San!)

I have two core sets and 1 of every Data pack and big expension! But not being able to build complete decks, especially really good and standard decks (How many runner decks run desperado or FA NBN with san sans!), after paying so much money? I mean that's not fun!

Not in the same draft sets, as far as I know (for example, Cyber War contains Grimoire, Toolbox and SanSan, Overdrive contains Desperado and I think Troubleshooter).

I'm happy to be corrected on these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
KingAnus3 wrote:

Not in the same draft sets, as far as I know (for example, Cyber War contains Grimoire, Toolbox and SanSan, Overdrive contains Desperado and I think Troubleshooter).

I'm happy to be corrected on these.

I got Aesop's, Grimoire and Ice Carver in a Cyber War draft (and stupidly passed up a SanSan City Grid). So it sounds like Aesop's is in fact available in both.

In fact, we should fill out a full list. Post if you've seen one of these in a draft set not listed below and I'll edit it in!

Core Set singletons - Corp
Corporate Troubleshooter - Cyber War, Overdrive (?)
Zaibitsu Loyalty - Cyber War
SanSan City Grid - Cyber War
Security Subcontract - Overdrive

Core Set singletons - Runner
Grimoire - Cyber War
Ice Carver - Cyber War
Desperado - Overdrive
Data Dealer -
Toolbox - Cyber War
Aesop's Pawnshop - Cyber War, Overdrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Jennings
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Core Set singletons - Corp
Corporate Troubleshooter - Overdrive (?)
Akitaro Watanabe -
SanSan City Grid - Cyber War
Security Subcontract -

Core Set singletons - Runner
Grimoire - Cyber War
Ice Carver - Cyber War
Desperado - Overdrive
Data Dealer -
Toolbox - Cyber War
Aesop's Pawnshop - Cyber War, Overdrive.

You're missing Zaibatsu Loyalty, the other one-of. Which I *think* appeared in Cyber War, but I'm not certain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damocles346 wrote:
Also, does anyone else enjoy the smell of the card ink, especially that your hands end up smelling like sweet paper after a few hours of handling the POD cards, or is that just me?

I have been playing CCGs for ever and ever. I tend to open booster packs and enjoy the smell like a fine cigar. I don't know if it's the smell or the nostalgia that I enjoy, but I definitely smell the cards every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
We had a Security Subcontract in our Overdrive pool, although it had the "misprint" Accelerated Beta Test art.

Bob, I think using draft leftovers as prize support for newbies is a great idea! I'm going to steal it for the Netrunner newbie intro event I'm planning for next month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:

Either pull it in the draft or strike up a trade/purchase with whoever pulled it after the draft. He might have 3 Core sets already or not have any Desperado plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norat13 15
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaibatsu was in Cyber War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Corp Troubleshooter is also in Cyber War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.