Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
69 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: What Wargames Are You Mulling Over? June 2014 Indeterminate Slacker Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I continue to have a vague notion to start a campaign of "Fire in the East" and "Scorched Earth" perhaps even later this summer. I've always been fascinated with playing one of the classic monsters and I think I have three other people I could rope into playing it with me. The complications standing in my way include the reality that the game would dominate my game room space, at no more than one session per month it would take a long time, my game room is still under reconstruction following our home remodeling project, and I haven't punched any of the counters yet! So, this remains a mostly theoretical endeavor. I do plan on discussing the matter with my fellow gamer friends to see if I can generate a critical mass of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just received my copy of...

...and finally ordered my own copy of...

...before I wear out my welcome at a friends :-)

I`ve also spent far too much on...

...lately, which knocked the recently acquired...

...off the top slot.

So, I should be sated. BUT...
I`m STILL waiting (and frothing) for...

...even though Legion seem to have let it slip on to a back-burner,
and I`m also very keen to try...

Perhaps I should seek addiction counselling blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
A World at War - definitely want a copy if Gathering Storm comes out.
If not, I'm not convinced I need it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been second guessing my decision not to pick up any new games at the latest GMT Surprise Sale. I've been hearing great things about

and it sounds like an interesting system worth exploring.

I'm thinking of printing up a copy of Unconditional Surrender! Case Blue and giving it a whirl to see how it plays and if I should pick up the full game at the next GMT sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1914: Offensive à outrance

I would probably buy it if I new it would get played, but I just don't know if it would happen. At least one in our group is not especially keen on WWI games, and I don't care for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
bbhalla wrote:

I'm thinking of printing up a copy of Unconditional Surrender! Case Blue and giving it a whirl to see how it plays and if I should pick up the full game at the next GMT sale.

Definitely do that. But realize that the full game is a lot more than
just the core movement/combat system. I was pleased with the core system
innovation, but had pulled back from pre-ordering - it was not impressive
enough to justify another WWII strategic game. The fact that this sits
in a unique position though, in terms of length and style of play combined,
made me quite pleased with the game in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Stream of Consciousness, June 2014
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?

So, like, two or three weeks ago I'm thinking, "Boy, what happened to all the news coverage about Iraq? I must have been wrong from 2004-2013; things must be going great there. They turned a corner, I guess. Oh well, good for them!" I probably didn't want to know it was different than this, as it was.

Then, last week, wham.

So, "Labyrinth" comes to mind. All of my post-9/11, somewhat obsessive reading about counterinsurgencies from a few years ago came flooding back and I'm thinking, how can this conflict be won? Is there a game on it worth playing that will shed some insight on how? Is it even winnable, and what does victory look like? Then I read some reviews of the game. Maybe "Labyrinth" will teach me something; but then, maybe not.

These doubts kept me up last night. I put aside a WWII book I'm trying to finish, and I really should focus on the game I set up yesterday to play next weekend. I mean, surely there are more productive ways to spend my non-productive downtime, but there you have it. Summer must do that. And watching a YouTube video with ISIS footage. I really shouldn't do that, but they're always alluding to these things on the news, so let's blame summer.

Maybe I was channeling my anxiety about Iraq and the GWOT into a game. Yes, a much more manageable line of thought. I then found myself wondering: Did the game foresee ISIS, and why not? Or, as the subtitle "2001-?" suggests, how do you game a war without end? Should wargames even touch current, active wars like this?

I pondered these things, and somehow feeling much more reassured about the state of the world, and clutching tightly to the warm teddy bear of a thought that there is nothing that a wargame can't do, I soon fell asleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Dickerson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one.

The reason it's only at the "mulling" stage is that it will be expensive to acquire; and I'd like to at least think I have a chance to play it against (a) live opponent(s) some day before I sink upwards of $100 into a copy...

And similarly, Red Badge of Courage is also on that mental back burner...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow--this thread's right up my alley! I've got a whole closet full of wargames I've just been thinking about ever since I acquired them. (I won't mention the closets full of games I sold in the past, after mainly just thinking about them, before accumulating these new ones.)

At the top of my list, I suppose, is Lock 'n Load. I bought or preordered everything in the LnL family. When Lock 'N Load: ANZAC Attack arrived a while ago, I thought, "Oh, man--I haven't even played Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam once yet! I've got to get these on the table." Now the boxes are sitting on the table--unopened--waiting for me to play the Field Commander: Rommel scenario I've had set up for well over a month (but have yet to begin playing).

My main historical interest has been the Civil War, though. I almost did something with The Civil War several months ago, but then I put it away before I started playing. Same with Yankees & Rebels. I have all three games in The Ironclads Series and was planning to do a lot with them, but that may be a fading dream now. Lately I've really been wanting to get back into A House Divided; I have the first three editions and really liked the game when I did play it a few times--but it has been at least a year or two or three. Oh, and I was going to give Battles & Leaders a try, since I decided Rebel Yell was too complicated; but I haven't even punched the unit-counters for either.

Then there's my air-warfare adventure that got left hanging a year or so ago. I traded away Wings, as I figured I'd never make the time to learn that rather complicated game. Then I got Richthofen's War and Mustangs to see if one of those might work. Surprisingly RW wasn't bad, but I really liked Mustangs; and I found some fan-created rules that expand the game to pretty much cover all tactical air warfare! Ever since, I've been thinking of trying those rules and playing more of the game ... but so far, just thinking.

Besides all that, I have a few oldies but goodies I keep meaning to get back to, including The Battle of the Bulge, The American Civil War, and The American Revolution 1775-1783.

One game at a time, though. And right now I have to get past letting Field Commander: Rommel gather more dust. After several tries, I won the France 1940 scenario. Now I have the North African scenario set up. But it has been sitting there so long I'll probably have to reread the rules before I can do anything with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing Gained But Glory, which is a little scary, 'cos what if I like it? Most of the other games in the series command stupid-high prices and, y'all know how it goes...in for a penny....

Also,
, because SCS has always been pretty reliable and a thread on that darn CSW has had me thinking about this particular battle. Stupid intrawebz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb

After acquiring or being charged for 4 new games in the same week (Thunder Alley, Andean Abyss, Cuba Libre and Kremlin) and then Fire in the Lake charging very very soon my wife said "STOP!" just as the D-Day anniversary rolled around. It was at this point I realized I owned no D-Day wargames. My wife unfortunately doesn't understand how important that fact is. I can fix the no D-Day games simply by getting the L2 version of Breakout Normandy but should I purchase it at this point in time I will spend the rest of the summer sleeping in the back yard. Thus unless I swing a trade for it it's not going to be in my hands anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John New
United States
Accokeek, Maryland/
New York, NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenosha_kid wrote:

I'm thinking that, by the expression on his face, somebody just gave Art a wedgie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep thinking about buying Liberty Roads (most recently because of the session report from the 1st MN historical gamers. Noble Knight has it, but only the 1st edition. Is there a big difference between 1st and 2nd? Is it worth waiting for a reprint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
I keep thinking about buying Liberty Roads (most recently because of the session report from the 1st MN historical gamers. Noble Knight has it, but only the 1st edition. Is there a big difference between 1st and 2nd? Is it worth waiting for a reprint?

Buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have plans to maybe try and revisit Canadian Crucible: Brigade Fortress at Norrey, or try out Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe this summer.

Maybe if I find some players in my area ? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenosha_kid wrote:
Mallet wrote:
I have plans to maybe try and revisit Canadian Crucible: Brigade Fortress at Norrey, or try out Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe this summer.

Maybe if I find some players in my area ? whistle

Who aren't reclusive procrastinators? whistle

To find a person like that, all I need is a mirror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been mulling over World in Flames for years.

I may pull the trigger one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Having toyed with the idea of a "monster" wargame for quite a while my very small group of wargamers have decided our first forray should be:

We have recently started playing ancients games seriously by purchasing several (read: too many!) of the great GBOH system. Since we are all very new to the system this has taken the lion's share of our time learning to play and playing the GBOH games we have.

We are in agreement that we want to use GBOH (which is much "bigger" than most of the wargames we play) we are going to use it as a stepping stone to the monster game of our choosing (WiF).

The main game we play is the SL/ASL family of games (mostly SL due to my obsession with it) but we don't see that as a monster game since there aren't the huge table filling loaded down maps you see when games like Case Blue and World in Flames being played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Angola.
Sounds well spesh. But 8 hour four player wargame... Its dreams and fantasy stuff. Just come in from the pub, is this a good time to get the wallet out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been musing about CDGs. I am finding more and more that I enjoy them more than any of my other games. I like the variability, the tension, the fact that they are superb PBEM games, the strategic scope (my favourite scale), and the history contained in the cards which reduces the amount of rules chrome required. So I've been buying and thinking about playing some of the less mainstream CDGs, such as Clash of Monarchs (purchased in a game store clear-out auction), The Halls of Montezuma (GMT sale "filler"), and Unhappy King Charles! (just purchased unpunched/like new from the BGG marketplace once I realized it had gone out of print).

I'm currently finishing up a live multi-session VASSAL/Skype game of World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin, playing two VASSAL PBEM games of Amateurs to Arms!, playing a VASSAL PBEM game of 1989: Dawn of Freedom, recently played a rousing FTF game of Wilderness War, and am cueing up a PBEM game of Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975. And will probably start another of something (maybe PoG) when my B2B game finishes.

My goodness, that sounds like much more than I realized...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have vague plans to get out

before I make a trip to Gettysburg this summer. I may have loaded the rules pdf on my tablet. I may have languidly swiped over the pdf icon.. Reading it yet.. no, no..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Reluctant Enemies

..I avoid OCS games for the same reasons I avoid heroin and certain other vices..I fear getting addicted with all that implies for my time and bank balance...

..but by golly this one is very tempting!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about Look Away! a lot, lately. All of my games are boxed up because I'm moving in a couple of weeks, and while I read through the rules before the boxing, I haven't had a chance to try it out. I'm a big fan of both operational games, and American Civil War games, so the subject is right up my alley, and the game system is a lot different from Great Campaigns of the American Civil War. I can't wait to try wracking my brains over beans and bullets, and managing armies in the Atlanta campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Once more Reluctant Enemies.

I have started to read the OCS rules two or three weeks ago, read until the supply chapter and pretty much understood the most concepts. But then I started playing Last Chance for Victory, got a game of The Civil War going and as I just have finished fully understanding those two rulebooks, I fear that I might mess things up when I work on another one. I am being a total pussy at the moment concerning this. I am sure the moment I take the OCS rulebook into my hands (which I often do these days) and actually READ a single sentence, I will instantly forget the complete LoB and Civil War rulebook. Thats why I only hold it in my hands, look at it, and put it back on the desk...but I can't stop thinking about it, set up on my table, the units moving...Supply getting short...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been seriously considering pre-ordering although haven't pulled the trigger yet (it would be my first pre-order):

I'm interested in the subject matter as I do not know anything about these conflicts and that is one reason why I like wargames. It gets me motivated to learn more. Besides, the map looks beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.