Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is the US hardly gets any oil from the region anyway outside of Saudi Arabia. China now imports more oil than the USA does and their oil imports almost all come from the middle east. Not to mention that their oil imports are accelerating rapidly. I personally don't give a shit if the middle east is made up of democracies, dictatorships, or whatever. The only thing I care about is that we don't have another mess like 9/11. So that is why I propose that we just exit the situation and force China to deal with it.

Let the Muslim fundamentalists redirect their hate at China instead of at the USA. Maybe China will just annex the entire area. Let them have it... they can take Africa as well for all I care. That entire area of the world has been nothing but a money pit for the US for the last 50+ years and what have we gotten out of it? Nothing but hate, trillions of dollars in debt, and blame that all their failures have been caused by us. Fuck them all, let them deal with China for the next 50 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Usual Suspects -- The Neo-Cons from 2003 -- Are Sounding Off Yet Again In Favor Of More U.S. Military Intervention

sfox wrote:
The thing is the US hardly gets any oil from the region anyway outside of Saudi Arabia. China now imports more oil than the USA does and their oil imports almost all come from the middle east. Not to mention that their oil imports are accelerating rapidly. I personally don't give a shit if the middle east is made up of democracies, dictatorships, or whatever. The only thing I care about is that we don't have another mess like 9/11. So that is why I propose that we just exit the situation and force China to deal with it.

Let the Muslim fundamentalists redirect their hate at China instead of at the USA. Maybe China will just annex the entire area. Let them have it... they can take Africa as well for all I care. That entire area of the world has been nothing but a money pit for the US for the last 50+ years and what have we gotten out of it? Nothing but hate, trillions of dollars in debt, and blame that all their failures have been caused by us. Fuck them all, let them deal with China for the next 50 years.

Ironically, apparently without knowing it, you've addressed the underlying but seldom acknowledged reason why the U.S. went to war with Iraq in 2003: The leading lights of the Project For A New American Century think tank -- Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and Paul Wolfowitz -- came into the Bush II administration with their sights on Iraq from Day One because their organization had openly advocated for the re-invasion of Iraq in order to gain control over the flow of oil -- supposedly not just control of oil for oil's sake -- in order to be able to hold sway over China and the developing countries of the Far East which would become more dependent on Middle East oil as their economies grew.

In recent days, you've heard from many of those neo-cons (i.e. Project For A New American Century alumni) spouting their same old military-intervention lines. And yet, there's a relative newcomer to the fray as well, Willard Mitt Romney who recently stated that if he were to run for President again, he would focus primarily on foreign policy and that he would call for more U.S. military intervention around the world in order to promote "greater global security". (He certainly isn't about to focus on the economy because of his multi-millionaire status since 2012 revealed that he disdains the other "47%" of the nation that he has no use for.)

And yes, Romney is seriously considering another run for the Presidency *if* neither Chris Christie or Jeb Bush end up running. In such case, he apparently believes he'll become the Establishment Republicans' darling for 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lucid
United States
Mountain House
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a buddy who I used to go on long car trips with for work. He grew up in Jamaica and I remember asking him why all these nations were so screwed up. By "these nations" I meant the ones who struggle to govern themselves and safeguard their people. It's easy to look at our progress over that past 238 years and compare where we are to where everyone else is. These folks are tribal, they have different motivations and his point was we should be patient with them.

Hard to look at some asshole we just released with a pile of severed heads and a butchers knife and say yeah, we should close GITMO and send all of these fine citizens back to their countries of origin; but we can't make everyone behave like we want them to either. We should have figured that it would take more than 10 years to change the climate in Iraq, Afghanistan, more than 100, probably more than 1000.

When your country is 200 years old, it's hard to imagine an event from 1000 years ago being as significant as say 9/11 is to us. To some folks these grievances or ancient history may as well have happened last week.

I think the US is the greatest nation in the world because of our freedom and free market. I also think it's transitional. At some point we will not be the Republic we enjoy at the moment. I’d say we have become complacent. When the world does lose the USA it will be a sad day for liberty. At least we were founded on good intentions whether the things we do are thought out or misguided. Sometimes it's better to do nothing but our willingness to act is what set us apart from other nations…in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think you're looking for this. I cobbled it up myself a while back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.