Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: I'm getting bored of waiting now - When will this be back in stock? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Live in the UK here, and missed out the initial stock, specifically of Starter's.

Now I've called every local book shop, popped into Toys R Us, and scoured online almost on a daily basis, but still finding starters for this bloody game has been the most tediously difficult thing I've ever experienced.

Boosters? I managed to buy some of them, 60 to be exact. But without the starters, they have literally just been sitting in my living room, taunting me as to the game I cannot play. Yes yes, you may say I can play without the starter, but I don't want to have to make proxies and other bits and bobs.

Now the last I saw regarding the stock was a post towards the later half of last month from WizKids saying that more will be in stock soon. But there seems to be no word on what "soon" is, with half the retailers I've looked at saying end of this month, and the other half saying no earlier than September!

Now WizKids is a bloody big company, I cannot fatham how it can take such a long time from the initial sell out to now to get some bloody starters made and dispatched.

Okay okay, rant over - I just want to play Dice Masters :< Why is that so hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't let it get to ya. You're not missing THAT much. It's a slightly fun game but nothing special, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2014/04/25/marvel-dice-masters-...

you can play it with some printing and regular 6-sided dice

it will it least let you play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Play it on the Internet via Vassal while you wait... I think the module has the whole collection at your disposal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

To answer your question, September. Everyone will have new starters and boosters by September.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got bored of waiting, too. Now I no longer care and won't even be picking up a starter when it is back. Oh well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearce
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
there is one on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marvel-Dice-Masters-Avengers-Vs-X-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Don't let it get to ya. You're not missing THAT much. It's a slightly fun game but nothing special, in my opinion.

If you don't like it then why are you in a forum for the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
H00D4M4N wrote:
wytefang wrote:

He didn't say he didn't like it. He said it's nothing special. It's definitely a niche game and if you don't have a need for that niche, then it's just a really good dice game, which is a little like trying to describe a really good peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

When this came out, I happened to be LOOKING for a good dice game, and I was disappointed with Legendary and hoping for another super hero game, especially one featuring X-men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Leist

Hagerstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

I agree. I have a complete collection minus 2 SR and am happy with it, but it is not Heroscape. (take it easy, the reference is for wytefang)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
H00D4M4N wrote:
wytefang wrote:

He didn't say he didn't like it. He said it's nothing special. It's definitely a niche game and if you don't have a need for that niche, then it's just a really good dice game, which is a little like trying to describe a really good peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

When this came out, I happened to be LOOKING for a good dice game, and I was disappointed with Legendary and hoping for another super hero game, especially one featuring X-men.

When someone uses terms like "slightly fun" and "nothing special" it gives the impression that they have little interest in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
H00D4M4N wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Niche game? If that were the case the number of copies they printed would be enough. I'm pretty sure niche games don't sell that many copies for years if ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
lordrahvin wrote:
H00D4M4N wrote:
wytefang wrote:

It's definitely a niche game

please explain niche game

the whole board gaming world could be 'niche'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming niche as in collectible/dice chucking way. Not a euro, but not exactly Ameritrash, it's different.

Also, it's not that EVERYBODY has to have it, but the volume each person bought is pretty high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain David.

I somehow missed the initial hype on the game (I think I saw the pictures and dismissed it as a Quarriors clone)

Having seen a rumour of starters in a Blackwells I spent a fruitless lunchtime traipsing round two Blackwells and a Waterstones in Sheffield.

On the plus side, I felt some of the buzz of looking for Magic cards twenty years ago...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Cozzolino
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the initial mistake in printed quantities and the huge delay in getting a second and full delivery of the second batch is really a bad thing.

I managed to get boosters but still waiting to get a single starter (and I preordered as soon as it was listed). And as OP said playing with proxies is bad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Quick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Frustrated here as well. This lack of product is pretty rediculous considering how large the company is. If they can't supply the product to customers then people will likely move on to games they can purchase.

All the FLGS's within 2 hours of me are all pretty disgusted with Wiz Kids as well. It's a shame because they obviously have a good game here but refuse to capitalize on it by printing enough for their customers.

Personally I'm tired to waiting and I'm pretty close to just saying the hell with Wiz Kids. This is my first experience with this company and possibly my last. Never had this issue with WOTC or Hasbro or any other larger gaming company. Get your shit together WizKids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike Wizkids for multiple quality reasons, but I don't think they are holding back product at this point. If they could have them on the street sooner, they would. So yeah, they made a huge blunder, but we are in the "cant do much about it now" stage.

FFG had a similar problem with their x-wing ships at one point, they didnt expect everyone needing 10 of everything. I remember waiting a few months during a certain wave (2??) so it happens even to the big dogs.

Ugh, I just defended Wizkids shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanking wrote:
I dislike Wizkids for multiple quality reasons, but I don't think they are holding back product at this point. If they could have them on the street sooner, they would. So yeah, they made a huge blunder, but we are in the "cant do much about it now" stage.

FFG had a similar problem with their x-wing ships at one point, they didnt expect everyone needing 10 of everything. I remember waiting a few months during a certain wave (2??) so it happens even to the big dogs.

Ugh, I just defended Wizkids shake

It was actually far worse for the 1st 2 waves of X-Wing. IIRC it took me about 9 months to complete my wave 1 purchases. I had a hard time getting X-wings, ties, and my last Y-wing. Of course with ties you need so many and everybody needed more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwanghwi Lee
South Korea
Busan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Do agree with you.
I'm feeling tired of waiting.

Also, i think some people makes this problem more complicated.
We can see the starter sets on sale with double or triple prices on the e-bay.
I think those sellers just regard this game as money.
I dislike them..

Why do we just play the game, not using them to get some selfish money??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Duran
msg tools
I'm in the same boat. Missed the hype on this game only hearing about it randomly on some podcast like a month ago. Since then I've been calling every game shop and comic shop every week and even liking their respective FB pages for some hint of a restock dropping somewhere but no luck. Seems like the wells run dry in the Los Angeles area which blows my mind. Really trying hard not to pull the trigger on eBay. Or to maybe hold out till at least SDCC where I imagine they should have something.

This will be my first forray into board games really and I've got other people interested but I don't know if they'll still be when this finally becomes easier to get which is a bummer because that leaves me with no one to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My interest in this game has really dropped down. I like Quarriors, love superheroes, don't really like the collectible stuff, but hate games that are impossible to buy and scalped.

Then again, it took me months to find the DC Heroes Unite game with the Starfire promo, and I've had a lot of fun with that, so maybe this game will bring me enjoyment in July or August or who the hell knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kim
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
*Future edit, geez I didn't mean to write an essay on supply chain, but I don't want to just erase it...so have a read and maybe learn something from a supplier perspective?
TL;DR version: WizKids is suffering just as much as we are and I bet they are trying to make as much as they can as fast as they can.

As someone who works in the supply chain industry I guarantee you WizKids are just as disappointed as you are and are probably doing everything they can to get their manufacturing going.
All of us sitting here wanting to purchase their product means wholesalers / retailers and ultimately WizKids are losing sales. In my industry customers charge vendors incredibly high penalties for this.

I have no inside information but based on experience I imagine what happened is that the channels they sell to didn't forecast as high as they should have because, as far as I'm aware, this is a brand new market (new game, new format [dice + cards], new pricing strategy). Wholesalers / retailers don't want to buy too much and end up excess product that won't sell if ends up being a failure.

That directly effects how much the supplier will produce. No matter how confident they are in the product they aren't going to produce much more than what was forecast by their customers to sell save for probably some "safety stock" in case customers do want more. It's the same reason, manufacturing is expensive and so the vendor doesn't want to spend the money producing more than what they can sell and then have that sit in a warehouse which cost more money and if it's truly a failure then spend more money to dispose of it. There's a lot of risk.

Now here we are with a success and demand has surpassed supply. Uh oh. WizKids is crying. Money is flying out the window because they don't have product to sell. This sucks for everyone: the consumer, the retailer and the company. If it were as easy as flipping the "make more dice / cards switch" you better believe they would be hammering on it. Unfortunately the world of manufacturing doesn't move that fast. If it did my job would be a hell of a lot less stressful.

They probably need more materials. Again the manufacturing plant isn't going to buy more materials than the supplier said they needed. If they did they would have chemicals, raw materials and packaging lying around taking up space and expiring. Now the supplier needs the plant to make more, so they have to order the materials. Let's hope the raw material suppliers aren't experiencing any shortages!

So now we have materials. I'm assuming WizKids doesn't actually own the factory(ies) that make the game. In that case then they are at the mercy of the plant to set up the production lines and give time to make their product. Likely there are probably other customers they make products for that are ahead in line. Does the plant prioritize WizKids' needs over another supplier by putting them ahead in the line? They might if they think WizKids business is worth it but maybe they won't even if they did.

Finally once product is made they have to distribute it probably by boats and trains to get to distribution centers and then on trucks to the retailers.

All of what I just described takes time and it moves more slowly than you might imagine. I work in a fast moving goods industry so I have no idea what the time tables are for something like dice and cards but I would guess it's probably slower and that's scary because it feels like my manufacturing moves at a snails pace when you have angry customers demanding more, more, more.

*Supply Chain 101 dismissed*

I'm doing my darndest to be patient. I got the fever last week and went to my FLGS on Friday. The last 2 starters were reserved so I bought 5 packs to tide me over. I went back on Monday and they had gone through the rest of their gravity feeders and were out! I've been trying to distract myself by slowly "preparing". Monday I found organizers for my dice. Today I bought sleeves and covered my measly 10 cards. Later this week I may get a box for those cards. You would think raising a 1 year old would distract you enough but sometimes hobbies like this keep you centered

I can't wait to finally get the starter, buy way more packs than I should, and then be disappointed, hah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still honestly don't know why anyone would bother to stock this game. It has such a low price point, a store can't be making much money on their margins, and your first few customers are likely to buy out most of your product due to the incredibly low prices. I mean, sure, you sell out quickly, which is always nice, but you also have to buy a huge amount which is not nice. And in the end, only a few customers get satisfied, and most get frustrated. Plus, with shelf space usually at a premium, it makes sense to stock items with higher margins. Everytime someone comes in and asks for this game, it probably makes shopkeepers grown. Someone would have to be crazy to stock this product. Not only can they not meet demand, meeting demand takes a ridiculous amount of shipping, stocking, and inventory control for the return. You just never know when the next guy is going to come in and say, "and... why not... I'll take $20 bucks worth of these". Having those 20 packs available takes preparation and guesswork, and knowing how much of this product to stock is difficult because it sells in bunches. It's not like someone's going to come in and buy 2 packs each week. If I was a store owner, the only reason I would stock this game is an effort to be nice to certain customers, and even then, I'm secretly hoping they'll move onto other games/items with a better margin that is easier to supply.

That being said, the 90-pack box for Uncanny X-men may reduce this problem somewhat, if for no other reason that it makes it easier to order and stock large amounts and thus slightly more attractive to sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kim
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
I still honestly don't know why anyone would bother to stock this game...
That being said, the 90-pack box for Uncanny X-men may reduce this problem somewhat, if for no other reason that it makes it easier to order and stock large amounts and thus slightly more attractive to sell.

Excellent points. My head is obviously more on the supplier side so I don't think about the retail part as much but what you said makes sense. If retailers / wholesalers give WizKids this feedback then hopefully they could come up with better strategies and SKUs to help minimize the risk for retailers.

While the $1 a pack price point is very attractive to myself and many others it seems, you're right in that it could hurt it in the long run.
My FLGS seems very eager to get as much as they can so I know someday I'll get it. When the fever dies down it could be as common as HeroClix.*

*maybe HeroClix aren't common everywhere but my FLGS has tons of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.