United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
A wise old Chinese man once said;

"No, no, no, no Ms. Law. We have to gather our strength. Because now there's 'clouds' and 'thunder'."
"The image of difficulty at the beginning..."
"...but finally we shall bring order out of chaos."

What's the difficulty at the beginning? Choosing a starting posse! The right choices mean prosperity and wealth flow with your sagacious use of feng shui. But the wrong choices mean the Light of Heaven will never shine upon your miserable ignobility!

Foundations To Build Upon

A basic Fourth Ring looks like this;

Micah Ryse
Arnold McCadish
Steele Archer

Net starting rock: 19 - (5 + 5 + 5) = 4 remaining
Net production: (3 - 1) = +2 income
Influence: 5
Best shooting: 1 draw, 1 stud (Arnold McCadish leads)

Mr. Archer is quite solid for spells, but Mongwau would be a solid alternative that does a bit better on shooting power. Kevin Wainwright would push the upkeep too high. Indeed, a more economy oriented start might see Clementine Lepp instead of a Dude with upkeep; it would mean 2 more rock and 3 net income to replace Archer with little loss in Influence. Kevin and Clint Ramsey are both Jacks, so perhaps they're more deck cards, but in a pinch Mr. Ramsey could stand in for Mr. Archer if you simply must start shooting - not what Fourth Ring is really about, though.

Law Dogs offer the following core start;

Philip Swinford
Tommy Harden
Clementine Lepp
Andreas Andregg

Net starting rock: 19 - (3 + 5 + 3 + 5) = 3 remaining
Best shooting: 2 stud, 2 draw (Tommy Harden leads)

Prescott Utter is a valid choice over Andreas, but less reliable perhaps. More shooting with a bit less Influence? Abram Grothe or Clint Ramsey instead of Andregg, but generally Influence is more important. This is a little tight on economy. It might be tempting to go with 4 Influence and 3 more rock by foregoing Ms. Lepp.

Morgan Cattle Company should turn out something like;

Irving Patterson
Jon Longstride
Clementine Lepp
Elander Boldman

Net starting rock: 18 - (3 + 4 + 3 + 6) = 2 remaining
Net production: (3 - 0) = +3 income
Best shooting: 0 stud, 5 draw (Jon Longstride leads)

I suspect people will rebel against Boldman or this setup in general, weak as it is in shooting. It's economy focused, not shooting. But even there, only 2 remaining is less than we might want. Perhaps again, Ms. Lepp can be left out for still 4 Influence and 6 rock. But Boldman is a great Mad Scientist to start. Alternates? Well, there's Prof. Eustace True, who's got an ongoing cost and only saves 1. Ghetty is too expensive. And Edwards is weak. Perhaps you simply forego Mad Science for just solid performance? Clint Ramsey is solid - indeed, Clint, Boldman, and Patterson is only 14 rock (leaving 4), nets 2 production, has 4 influence and shoots at 2 stud, 2 draw. Leave Longstride in the deck with some Horses for later? Remy LaPointe is too pricey for early play. There's some deviltry in the outfit ability and Androcles Brocklehurst, I'm sure...

Leaving us a Sloane in the following form;

Lawrence Blackwood
Clementine Lepp
Fred Aims
Sanford Taylor

Net starting rock: 18 - (3 + 3 + 4 + 5) = 3 remaining
Influence: 3 (until we can trigger Fred Aims?)
Best shooting: 2 stud, 3 draw (Sanford Taylor leads)

Barton Everest is a passable substitute for Sanford. As would be Clint Ramsey. Poor Marion Seville is crippled with awful stats; if only there was no upkeep or at least Stud! To the ash heap with Marion then... I suppose you could work really hard to redeem him, but why bother? Just run Olivia Jenks instead. The real option here is Aims; not much to offer until you can find some trouble, really. Overall, Sloane is the weakest start with few good options mostly because of their upkeep woes. Perhaps Blackwood, Jenks, Lepp, and Taylor. 4 rock to start, but only 1 production - better hope you get a deed right quick! At least that posse would be 5 Influence.

Some names are perhaps notable for their absence;

Ramiro Mendoza - Ongoing costs uglier than upkeep! He's a late game, solid economy card, a finisher
Dr. Dawn Edwards - My darling Doctor Jekyll is too weak, too little to offer. No skill. No bullets. No ability. Minimal influence and an upkeep to weigh her down... tragic, really.
Androcles Brocklehurst - Too slow. Too conditional. When a card requires you to react to something your opponent is doing (here, read "winning the game") you're just playing catchup, not setting the tempo.

And of course the "zero influence" crew, a crippling blow for a starting dude;

Allie Hensman - A clever ability, but you should be defending a growing suite of deeds, not her in Town Square. There is a tempting "power play" start with her and the outfit in Town Square turn one backed by Sanford and Ramsey. You might as well flip a coin to see who wins - all gamble, no strategy.
Silas Aims - Yuck! Big Draw means big nothing... and you have to work to even get there?! Terrible dude... not a card you play as one you admire as a set with Fred in a story sort of way.
Travis Moone - Doomtown is a slow game. A game of building and managing. It is not a game of combinations and first turn wins and tempo. Mulligans, then, are largely irrelevant. Build it so you don't have to. Play it so you don't have to. Always the two rock will be better spent growing.

So that then is some advice on options for starting posses. Remember the principles; try to have 2 to 4 remaining, at least 4 influence, a net production of 2 or more, and at least some stud - it's not always possible, but it's what you're shooting for...

And the first among these is "no upkeep"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
cosine wrote:

Travis Moone - Doomtown is a slow game. A game of building and managing. It is not a game of combinations and first turn wins and tempo. Mulligans, then, are largely irrelevant. Build it so you don't have to. Play it so you don't have to. Always the two rock will be better spent growing.

I don't think I could disagree any stronger with this statement than I do now. The economy is ALL about efficiency and tempo.

If you draw an opening hand with no deeds, what do you do? Not to mention, the snowball effect of getting deeds, which allows you to get more deeds, which allows you to... etc.

That's not to say you should go overboard, but there's a place for a 2 cost muligan. There is also something to be said for starting with more rock/no upkeep.

My idea so far with MCC is to start the following:
Irving Patterson (3 cost/0 up 2 inf)
John Longstride (4 cost/0 up 1 inf)
Clemintine Lepp (3 cost/0 up 1 or 2 inf)
Travis Moone (2 cost/0 up 0 inf)

If you *have* to get in a shootout turn one, Travis is your man (after all, who cares if he dies?). Ideally, you'll use Clemintine + home to build a saloon of some type, and then she'll hold it for you as well with her two inf. Alternatively, you'll use Patterson + home to build a ranch or strike out of town. If you don't have a saloon or ranch/strike, you can still toss Clemintine at your deed, and if they kill her... not a huge loss.

Turn 1 you are looking at either 8 or 9 rock to buy deeds with.

Turn 2, you're looking at either them spread out to deny you rock (and you still getting some from your home) or you generating enough to begin snowballing and be able to afford some of the bigger dudes.

Weakness of this start: hyper aggressive decks.
Strength of this start: If you pull through the first two turns, you should be way ahead on your production.

Against Sloane, I'd probably adjust the start by swapping out longstride for blake, to make sure I have a stud in there, since they look like the most hyper aggressive. That puts you down to 6 or 7 rock on turn 1, which shoudl be enough for two deeds, assuming you don't draw only your expensive deeds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Bithlord wrote:
I don't think I could disagree any stronger with this statement than I do now.

You'd hardly be the only one, I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
cosine wrote:
Bithlord wrote:
I don't think I could disagree any stronger with this statement than I do now.

You'd hardly be the only one, I'm sure.

LoL. Wouldn't be much of a discussion if everyone just said "yup" and went along with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Bithlord wrote:
If you draw an opening hand with no deeds, what do you do?

Pass. Play things that cost no money. Cycle what cards you can; you did put a priority on cards like that right? Save your income (you do have income right?) and discard a card before you draw up. Missing one turn will not matter.

Quote:
That's not to say you should go overboard, but there's a place for a 2 cost muligan.

I encourage everyone to play him against me. devil

Quote:
My idea so far with MCC is to start the following:
Irving Patterson (3 cost/0 up 2 inf)
John Longstride (4 cost/0 up 1 inf)
Clemintine Lepp (3 cost/0 up 1 or 2 inf)
Travis Moone (2 cost/0 up 0 inf)

No shooting. 4 influence. 0 upkeep. At least 6 rock and +3 income - this is overdoing the economy. You've no scientist to build gadgets, no ability to resist a basic shootout or job. It's not awful, but it's overly skewed in one direction in my view... You don't need 6 left over.

Quote:
If you *have* to get in a shootout turn one, Travis is your man (after all, who cares if he dies?).

The shootout that comes to you turn one is Kidnappin' You can defend with Travis and lose him AND the mark.

Quote:
Turn 1 you are looking at either 8 or 9 rock to buy deeds with.

No defense. So... who'll be using their Controller actions?

It's not an invalid plan. It's just a little heavy on the deeds and light on the dudes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
cosine wrote:
It's not an invalid plan. It's just a little heavy on the deeds and light on the dudes.

I'd rather say its heavy on the deeds and light on the shooting. It has dudes a-plenty.

On the gadget front, that wouldn't be a mad scientist deck. I get that its a theme with MCC, but I don't think there's enough in the game right now to outwweigh the costs associated with buying/using gadgets. There is plenty to do without them, even in MCC.

Like I edited in (and you may not have seen it after I edited the post), if I suspect early shooting subbing in blake for longstrider costs me a total of two rock on turn 1, and gives me a 2 stud shooter.

One key to successfully playing any game like this is felixibility. If you always start the same thing no matter what, you're asking to get yourself mistreated in some matchups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Morgan Cattle Company should turn out something like;

Irving Patterson
Jon Longstride
Clementine Lepp
Elander Boldman

Net starting rock: 18 - (3 + 4 + 3 + 6) = 2 remaining
Net production: (3 - 0) = +3 income
Best shooting: 0 stud, 5 draw (Jon Longstride leads)

I suspect people will rebel against Boldman or this setup in general, weak as it is in shooting. It's economy focused, not shooting. But even there, only 2 remaining is less than we might want. Perhaps again, Ms. Lepp can be left out for still 4 Influence and 6 rock. But Boldman is a great Mad Scientist to start. Alternates? Well, there's Prof. Eustace True, who's got an ongoing cost and only saves 1. Ghetty is too expensive. And Edwards is weak. Perhaps you simply forego Mad Science for just solid performance? Clint Ramsey is solid - indeed, Clint, Boldman, and Patterson is only 14 rock (leaving 4), nets 2 production, has 4 influence and shoots at 2 stud, 2 draw. Leave Longstride in the deck with some Horses for later? Remy LaPointe is too pricey for early play. There's some deviltry in the outfit ability and Androcles Brocklehurst, I'm sure...

Longstride seems non-critical to me although there's not really anyone much better to use instead, and if you're going to look at Clint Ramsey why not use Jarrett Blake instead? Same cost, same stats, but with a bonus ability if he has a Horse. What else could you want? Well, maybe a six-demon bag...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
Longstride's job in both his start and mine is to provide influence at no upkeep. That's rare in reloaded, and also valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:

I couldn't disagree more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:

I don't know if I'd say "always", but I think if you can get by with leaving Travis Moone out then you're going to be better off.

It's hard to fit in a good starting posse with your limited funds and Travis is pretty meh once the game is underway. Sometimes maybe you will get a good draw and he doesn't pull his weight. Sometimes your mulligan isn't very good either. And yes, sometimes he'll save you.

But the biggest issue that I have is that he is a crutch. Players who feel that he's critical will tend to rely on him too much and not develop the skills of how to play your way out of a less than ideal start. This is a very important skill! I expect that in my decks I will usually try to include extra copies of my important cards (so if I want to play economy I will have enough Deeds) and I will try to include enough non-conditional 0-cost Actions or cheap Goods that I can cycle through my deck faster. Another alternative would be to include cards that let you discard extra cards at Sundown. In this way I can try to quickly replace an opening "bad hand" and get some better stuff while keeping my 2 Ghost Rock or being able to spend it on something more useful in the long term than Mr. Moone.

That doesn't mean I'll never use him. It might happen that with the faction and sort of deck I want to play that including these contingencies is messing up my draw structure for instance. And if that's the case, then I will look at Travis Moone as a possible alternative solution. But I would rather not regard him as a must-have or first option because that will stunt my growth as a player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
dboeren wrote:
But the biggest issue that I have is that he is a crutch. Players who feel that he's critical will tend to rely on him too much and not develop the skills of how to play your way out of a less than ideal start. This is a very important skill!

Sure, that may be true of some players. But even in the top levels of Magic, the ability to muligan properly and how is one of the most difficult skills. And the most important skills.

Doing it properly is not a crutch. Knowing when to say "this hand is not great, but the odds of me getting a *better* hand are not worth losing this hand" is an important skill too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh sure. And in lots of card games mulligans are free so I expect many of us get lots of practice using them.

But now there's a cost, and we're already predisposed to feeling like we want one because we're used to having one. It's easy to just pay 2 and have it, but I feel it's worth learning to do without so that you have the option to play either way.

Not to mention that someday there will be more Grifters and you might want to use their abilities - which will also require giving up Travis Moone. Might as well learn to do without him before that happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
dboeren wrote:
Oh sure. And in lots of card games mulligans are free so I expect many of us get lots of practice using them.

Mulligan's in Magic are a LOOOONG way away from being free. Going down a car din handsize is actually a big cost (bigger, IMO, than 2 rock).

dboeren wrote:

But now there's a cost, and we're already predisposed to feeling like we want one because we're used to having one. It's easy to just pay 2 and have it, but I feel it's worth learning to do without so that you have the option to play either way.

Not to mention that someday there will be more Grifters and you might want to use their abilities - which will also require giving up Travis Moone. Might as well learn to do without him before that happens.

I don't think he's an autoinclude in every deck. But, look at my start. The gameplan is predicated on having either a saloon or an out of town deed and one other deed for purchasing turn one. Granted, I haven't played with it yet so its all theory, but that seems like precisely the type of thing where you would want to use Travis.

No?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bithlord wrote:
Mulligan's in Magic are a LOOOONG way away from being free. Going down a card in handsize is actually a big cost (bigger, IMO, than 2 rock).

I have not played Magic, but they are free in all the LCGs, L5R (Dynasty deck but not Fate deck), and probably more. But yes, not *every* game has free mulligans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
dboeren wrote:
Bithlord wrote:
Mulligan's in Magic are a LOOOONG way away from being free. Going down a card in handsize is actually a big cost (bigger, IMO, than 2 rock).

I have not played Magic, but they are free in all the LCGs, L5R (Dynasty deck but not Fate deck), and probably more. But yes, not *every* game has free mulligans.

Fair enough. I haven't played those games In magic the mulligan costs you a card form your hand (IE you ditch a 7 card hand and redraw 6 cards). Other than that, the games I've played have been mulligan free. So, I suppose I know the value of not mulliganing more than some people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course Travis is not for every deck. Some will benefit from him, some won't, and I'll be very interested to see the arguments for and against starting him. Personally, I almost always start him, not just for the mulligan, but because an expendable shooter for 2 is much more useful than you think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, the fundamental equation of Doomtown:

Winning: CP > INF

As long as you have INF > CP you may not win, but you can't lose.

INF buys you time to put your game plan together (deeds, actions, dudes, whatever). The issue as Eric points out is that Aggro decks will bring the fight to you via Kidnappin' etc. removing INF. And yes, deeds you play WILL get taken over while you search for your shooter and backup posse and actions.

The OP suggestions are good baselines for new players, but of course, even in the base set there is plenty of game space for folks to try out their pet strategies and baptise them by fire - that's what makes it a game, no?

Eric - besides the ongoing Supershooter Challenge, care to take on all comers in Reloaded, since not everyone will get a chance to play in the tourneys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Notyo Bizniz
msg tools
I have to say I'm not overly impressed with that Law Dogs start. Andreas Andregg is not a bad dude, but not someone I would start. He's MS:0 so he has a hard time making most of the current gadgets, especially since the LD like so many of the low-value cards revealed. Also, we don't have any other MS's to really back him up, so if you lose him you lose access to any gadgets you do include. So you're paying 5/1 for mediocre stats. Meh.

Clementine is not a bad dude either, but for you to get your money's worth you *must* run Saloons, pull them, and prioritize playing them. Again, meh.

What I would propose instead is to drop those two and include Lucy Clover and Wendy Cheng. Wendy is probably the best dude we have in the base set when you consider he cost. She's only 1 more initial GR over Andreas or Abram, but with a MUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better ability. Built in Pistol Whip? Yes, please!

Also, I like Lucy a lot better than Clementine as a starter. You're guaranteed the 2 Influence from her and she has a good back-up ability. She's also a Law Dog, which matters for Prescott.

Overall a start of Philip/Tommy/Lucy/Wendy will only cost you 1 more in upkeep but otherwise have the same initial cost. Having only +1 income to start is less than ideal, but I think it's worth it over the alternative.

You'll still start with 3 GR even if you lose lowball Turn 1. There are plenty of decent 3/+2 deeds out there to get your economy going, pack several of them. Then use Philip and other card cycling to help ensure you see one. If you do happen to win lowball, which I think is a better-than-average chance given the low-values LDs are gonna like, you'll have 5 GR turn 1 which should be enough to play pretty much any deed you land.

I ran this starting posse in my first playtesting with proxy decks last night and it worked very well for me, even without having fine-tuned my deed/economy structure to fit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
Darguth wrote:
If you do happen to win lowball, which I think is a better-than-average chance given the low-values LDs are gonna like, you'll have 5 GR turn 1 which should be enough to play pretty much any deed you land.

With regards ot winning lowball... low value isn't really that important. What's important is deck structure. If you built your deck to draw four of kind/full house then it doesn't really matter what value you built that at, you are going to be hitting pairs/three of kinds in your lowball hands. Not something you wnat ot rely on for winning lowball.

Just my opinion of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
On the topic of the super shooter challenge... Eric, will you have the super shooter at GenCon this year? I'd love a chance to play against it if you will. The bounty for winning is negligibale, mostly I'd like ot play against it. Although, if I do manage to win I wouldn't be opposed to snagging a mon backed sweetrock or collegium home from you if there are any in the bounty pile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Darguth wrote:
What I would propose instead is to drop those two and include Lucy Clover and Wendy Cheng.

Let's take a look at that;

Philip Swinford
Tommy Harden
Lucinda "Lucy" Clover
Xiong "Wendy" Cheng

Net starting rock: 19 - (3 + 5 + 2 + 6) = 4 remaining
Net producion: (3 - 2) = +1 income
Best shooting: 3 stud, 2 draw (Xiong "Wendy" Cheng leads)

Not too bad. Lemme ask you. Since you are planning a shootout here, judging from the studs and effects, when you draw your first lowball and lose, you'll have 4 ghost rock. Deeds at less than 4 have 1 or 2 production - just the Blake Ranch is 3. So, what will you do if you don't get a deed? Nothing. What will you do if you get a deed? Play it and need 3 or 4 turns to grow a pool of ghost rock that allows you to play another - you're losing every lowball, remember?

This is why starting 2 upkeep is not a good idea. While you are right you don't go bankrupt, you also don't get ahead. You won't have rock to afford another new dude, deed, or goods for a long time. While you struggle to pay the bills, your opponent will grow fast. Sure, you've bought nice dudes... but you are paying for it. Hard. Decks like this only work in mirror matches and speed kills... since people new to Doomtown are often enamored of shootouts, it's likely a play style you'll see a lot, so at least you've got that going for you.

BTW; Lucy Clover is not a very good dude. Will you be putting the lion's share of your total influence on the line when she could easily be killed in a shootout? She'll lose you the game, my friend. She stays as far away from shooting as possible... which makes her ability pretty weak. So, a 2 influence for 1 upkeep over Lepp 1 for 0... and you'll be wanting a Saloon. And if you don't have one? An opponent's would be a good place for Lepp too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
davido wrote:
Care to take on all comers in Reloaded?

Yes, I plan to play Reloaded almost continuously at Gencon. I hope to be teaching people to play.

Yes, I'll have old decks there. I'd be happy to play the old game if there's time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Bithlord wrote:
But even in the top levels of Magic, the ability to muligan properly and how is one of the most difficult skills. And the most important skills.

Doing it properly is not a crutch.

In this game, which has as much in common with Magic as alligators have in common with antelope, it is a crutch.

You have to understand WHY Magic has a mulligan and the old game never did. In Magic, you make a 60 card deck of which in a normal competitive match, you might see 17 to 19 cards. Less than 1 third, often less than 1 quarter. You have no initial starting position, no initial economy. This is the design flaw of Magic - land in the deck. Also, Magic draws 1 per turn and has a simple, hard end condition with no recovery.

By contrast, Doomtown has a 54 card deck of which you will see in a normal competitive match over 25 cards in play, if not more. You draw to hand size, not just one. You have starting position and economy. You have conditional, soft ends with recovery.

Magic has a mulligan because even if you are a great pro player with tons of skill, you can and do easily lose to randomness. To help skill matter ("at all"? "more"?), they implement a mulligan. Doomtown is designed from the ground up, like Vampire: The Eternal Struggle and On the Edge and dozens of others specifically to avoid the problems that force it on Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Bithlord wrote:
On the topic of the super shooter challenge...

I have enjoyed over the years talking smack about it, but remember it has never done that well in competitive play. I have never won a major event. I have lost repeatedly with it to all the major winning archetypes of the past... it's pretty easy to beat me - just don't plan to win by shooting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Notyo Bizniz
msg tools
Here is the decklist I'm experimenting with currently:

Starting Posse (4)
Lucinda "Lucy" Clover (A)
Philip Swinford (2)
Tommy Harden (3)
Xiong "Wendy" Cheng (9)

Dudes (9)
1x Clementine Lepp (A)
1x Judge Harry Somerset (2)
1x Tommy Harden (3)
2x Prescott Utter (4)
2x Andreas Andregg (5)
1x Clyde Owens (10)
1x Sheriff Dave Montreal (K)

Deeds (10)
2x Bank of California (A)
2x Gomorra Parish (2)
2x Yan Li's Tailoring (3)
1x B&B Attorneys (4)
1x Dead Dog Tavern (4)
2x Charlie's Place (5)

Goods (10)
2x Pair of Six Shooters (A)
2x Bluetick (2)
2x Shotgun (3)
2x Whiskey Flask (4)
2x Mustang (5)

Actions (19)
3x Establishin' Who's in Charge (A)
3x Bottom Dealin' (2)
2x Sun in Yer Eyes (3)
1x The Stakes Just Rose (3)
3x Coachwhip! (4)
3x Pistol Whip (5)
4x Bounty Hunter (8)

It's a Straight-draw deck using low values (A-5), and spread relatively evenly over all 4 suits to minimize cheating if/when I get something other than a Straight (2-Pair, 3-Kind, or Full House potentially).

I had no trouble winning lowball with this in my opening salvo of games against a 3-value-structure 4th Ring deck. I lost lowball twice over the course of 3 games yesterday. It's very good at drawing an 8-high or a single pair for lowball.

But, even if I don't win lowball, turn 1 you have 3GR to play with (not 4, your income is +1 so you've a net zero if you lose). That can play 7 of my deeds (maybe 8 if I decide to drop DD Tavern for another B&B's, still not sure what I like in that slot), and you have Philip to potentially mill a card for you off of lowball.

It can also play me a Whiskey Flask to help mill another card if need be.

Or it can play me a Bounty Hunter who can then flush lots of Action cards from my hand to get a refresh Turn 2, which if I can then win lowball will get me back to 3 GR and playing those deeds I just mentioned.

So that's 13-14 useful cards played with only 3 GR if I lose lowball, pretty solid chance to draw one of them. And that's all assuming I lose lowball, which is certainly possible but I think the odds are in my favor against most decks. I'm only in financial straights really if I don't pull any of those cards *and* I lose back-to-back opening lowball. That's pretty unlikely.

Now, you're probably thinking that a Straight deck is pretty weak for shootouts, but I won every single shootout we fought even though his deck was structured for better hands.

Why? Because I have a lot of actions to minimize his draw hand (Sun in Yer Eyes, Pistol Whip, and Wendy) and I have solid punishment for if he cheats (Bottom Dealin', Coachwhip!, Tommy). I'd also draw out some of his good actions early in a turn with Bounty Hunters so that he wouldn't have them to use on my real dudes. Also, since I routinely won lowball I'd get the first Shootout action, which is very important.

Playtesting is early, of course, but I like how this deck is shaping up to start. I'm going to have to disagree with you on Lucy. She only needs to shy away from shootouts for the first couple of turns so that you can use her for issuing warrants. She usually only shows up in a later-game shootout as backup, and can pay for herself in one big battle (though at that point you've probably won anyway).

It boggles me that you think Lucy is bad but advocate for Andregg who is thoroughly mediocre at best. Different strokes for different folks. I feel your influence structure is much more vulnerable than mine because although you have Clementine to hide somewhere (not great in my value-structure because my saloon options are limited), you're going to need Andregg for early contests. He pales in that duty compared to Wendy, and if you then lose him you're down 2 early Influence.

With Wendy I risk less influence to contest early and she's better at defending herself. Also, in the early game, she's likely close to home and still can possibly defend Lucy if someone comes after her at Home anyhow. I really don't see the theoretically fragility to Lucy that you feel there is, not in practice anyway. There is also value in only having to boot Lucy for issuing Turn 1/2 warrants instead of Andregg who you want for muscle and contests.

In the end though, I just don't think this deck would work without Wendy in it. Winning lowball with a built-in Pistol Whip makes is very good.

The only starter I'm really not sold on at this point is Tommy. His ability is usually either overkill or doesn't take effect. I think I'd prefer another 3/0 or 4/0 cost mook to fill that 4th spot, but the options just aren't there yet.

Anywho, that's enough of my rambling.

Edit: Also, just to clarify, I'm not new to Doomtown at all. We started in the Episode 3&4 arc, I believe, and played pretty routinely up until Classic's final days and beyond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.