badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Category:
Negotiation
Wargame

Medieval
Novel-based

Quote:
In A Game of Thrones the board game, players take control of one of the great Houses of Westeros. Via resource management, diplomacy, and cunning, they seek to win dominance over the land. Players must give orders to armies, control important characters, gather resources for the coming winter, and survive the onslaught of their enemies.

Now, what me and my gaming group are very interested in knowing is this: just how much of this game actually resolves around the peaceful actions of resource management, diplomacy and cunning and how much time do you spend on giving orders to armies and conquering your enemies?

This is an important question as some of the members in my group don’t enjoy wargames and so, should you not stand a chance in this game without taking to arms - then we won’t be adding this to our collection of games.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Management, diplomacy, and cunning... and what about war
Fighting. Lots of it.

The only way to win is to take the majority of city/strongholds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ConraDargo wrote:
Now, what me and my gaming group are very interested in knowing is this: just how much of this game actually resolves around the peaceful actions of resource management, diplomacy and cunning and how much time do you spend on giving orders to armies and conquering your enemies?

This is one of my favorite games, and it really pains me to steer people away from this game, but I think you may want to look elsewhere. In the games that my group plays, there's a lot of Diplomacy-style backstabbing and territory grabbing. Nearly all of the mechanics in the game are focused on helping you wage war more effectively.

If you're looking for more development-oriented games with less of a focus on war, you may want to check out some of the civilization building games. Mare Nostrum comes to mind, if you've got five players (or six with the expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
ConraDargo wrote:
Category:
Negotiation
Wargame

Medieval
Novel-based

Quote:
In A Game of Thrones the board game, players take control of one of the great Houses of Westeros. Via resource management, diplomacy, and cunning, they seek to win dominance over the land. Players must give orders to armies, control important characters, gather resources for the coming winter, and survive the onslaught of their enemies.

This is an important question as some of the members in my group don’t enjoy wargames and so, should you not stand a chance in this game without taking to arms - then we won’t be adding this to our collection of games.

Thank you.

This came contains a lot of open conflict. Its all about moving Armies and fighting battles.

I recommend you stay away from it if your group does not like doing that. Actually I suggest you stay away from it anyway, but thats just because IMHO its not a very good game.

I might suggest something like Princes of the Renaissance (warfrog) or Traders of Genoa for negotiation games with less combat, or Struggle of empires where combat is a little more abstract.

I can't think of any good multiplayer civ game with no conflict.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is basically one long fight with a few extra bells and whistles.

Mare Nostrum: Mythology expansion has more of a balance, I feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Engström
Sweden
Umeå
N/A
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ack, I'm glad I came here first asking for opinions. I guess we won't be getting this game then, too bad because it did look promising.

Thank you for your other recommendations - I'll be sure to look up every game mentioned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A game of thrones is a very good game. It is basically a version of the old great game of diplomacy. But A Game of Thrones is more structured and has more bells and whistles.

There are basically no economic decisions. You can collect power tokens instead of attacking , then use these to bid to gain advantages. (such as playing order during a turn).

You can play with not much secret negotiations and just use it as a war game. Or you can have time alloted to secret negotiations with your opponents. Since choice of which units will attack is simultaneous, there is lots of room for backstabbing. Our group has tried to limit the secret negotiations since they take up a lot of time. In a 5 player game we draw two pairs of chits representing the houses and those players may talk for a minute. Then the 5th player gets to choose one player with whom he will talk.

This is not a balanced civ building game. It is a cutthroat diplomacy and combat game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
This game is a VERY good game, but yes, there's a lot of fighting.

I just wanted to stress the recomendation on Mare Nostrum, with or without the expansion. The game can run with very little conflict and militar confrontations rarely last more than a couple of turns. Both games are, from my POV, great great games.

I haven't checked Struggle of Empires, but I've played the similar Conquest of the Empire, you might want to chek em, but my feeling of CotE is that it is still very conflict oriented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Oh yes! I forgot!

I also wanted to mention Twilight Imperium 3rd edition. For me, it is almos a "Cold War Game" as combat can be non existant and the game can still be great... ofcourse, a lot of people wouldn't agree with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Engström
Sweden
Umeå
N/A
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mare Nostrum looks very promising and cool indeed! I'll read up on a few reviews and gaming sessions and talk to my friends about it Thanks again for recommending it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Engström
Sweden
Umeå
N/A
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted everyone to know that because I have found Mare Nostrum for only $37 so I'm probably going to purchase it today. Though I am considering getting both the original and expansion for $80 instead...

A tough decision to make, since I don't want to loose to much money should we not appreciate the game.

Edit: The price for the game + expansion includes S&H for $30 (eBay, I can get the original only here in my home town).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you mean "lose". (I know English probably isn't your first language, I'm just being pedantic).

I would be suprised if the expansion alone was worth £43. It does greatly improve the basic game, but you might as well try that game first...an exception being if you normally have 6 people gaming, in which case you do need the expansion for the 6th player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Engström
Sweden
Umeå
N/A
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, I can't believe I made such a silly spelling mistake -_- Now you're making me nervous about putting together this reply

We're usually five or six players, so that's why the expansion feels more than interesting. But I suppose we really should play a few rounds with the basic game first, seeing that $80 isn't exactly peanuts, to see what the fuzz is all about

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that the original game is somewhat imbalanced, but not so much that I don't like playing it. Once we found out that it was imbalanced, we started attacking the nations that are strong, and left the weaker nations alone more often. We play a fluid enough game that any player who is ahead will find themselves surrounded by enemies.

Regardless, I think you should pass on the expansion until you play the original. That's a lot to pay for an expansion if you don't know if you like the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.