Subject: Optional Starting Wealth Tiles Selection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Brown
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
Yesterday I played Tzolk'in and was going to try a particular strategy but my starting wealth tile options made me decide to try something else. I was thinking about it and wondered how an alternative might work.

This was my idea. After deciding start player, what if each person, starting with the last player and going counter-clockwise, picked one wealth tile, going around twice until each person had 2.

Any opinions on this? It seems a good alternative to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Meaning that when it's your turn to choose, you can choose from among all the remaining tiles?

And is your choice immediately made public or do you place it face down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brown
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
Meaning that the tiles are face up and each person starting with the last player going counterclockwise picks one and a 2nd one on the 2nd time around. It is all open and public knowledge. Each person has some control over their starting wealth and may be able to get a jump on a particular strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a terrible idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brown
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A big part of the strategy is choosing what strategy to employ given player order, starting wealth tile options, available monuments and opponents.

(Also I suspect everyone choices would be dictated by blocking double tech pushes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now games tested a variant to balance Tzolk'in. I love this game but by its standard rules it does favour the start player. Here's the remedy I came up with...

If playing with 2/3 players select 12/6 tiles to establish placements of dummy workers...

1st player then takes 3 tiles, chooses 2, takes starting resources and plays out his first turn.

2nd player then takes 4 tiles, chooses 2, takes starting resources and plays out his first turn.

3rd player then takes 5 tiles, chooses 2, takes starting resources and plays out his first turn.

4th player then takes 6 tiles, chooses 2, takes starting resources and plays out his first turn.

Wheel then turns and play carries on as per normal with second turn.

The key advantages of this are that players who are further down the turn order get to see full disclosure of what the earlier players plans are, they can plan around them and choose from a wider range of tiles.

So far I've found it really settles out the balance issues. Please feel free to test further and write your thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brown
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
High Elf Andrew wrote:
I've now games tested a variant to balance Tzolk'in. I love this game but by its standard rules it does favour the start player. Here's the remedy I came up with...

If playing with 2/3 players select 12/6 tiles to establish placements of dummy workers...

1st player then takes 3 tiles, chooses 2, takes starting resources and plays out his first turn.

2nd player then takes 4 tiles, chooses 2, takes starting resources and plays out his first turn.

3rd player then takes 5 tiles, chooses 2, takes starting resources and plays out his first turn.

4th player then takes 6 tiles, chooses 2, takes starting resources and plays out his first turn.

The key advantages of this are that players who are further down the turn order get to see full disclosure of what the earlier players plans are, they can plan around them and choose from a wider range of tiles.

So far I've found it really settles out the balance issues. Please feel free to test further and write your thoughts

That sounds really interesting. I would like to hear from anybody else who has tried it. I will try and get my group to try it next time we play.

I don't think that in the long run we have found that the first player has a big advantage but I have definitely seen 3rd and 4th players have a tough time getting going. I think this idea would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Elf Andrew wrote:

Andrew,

I love this idea. I definitely feel the start player has TOO huge of an advantage in this game and this would really even things out. Hopefully I can try this sometime!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
yatescory wrote:
High Elf Andrew wrote:

Andrew,

I love this idea. I definitely feel the start player has TOO huge of an advantage in this game and this would really even things out. Hopefully I can try this sometime!

Thanks!

The emphasis above is mine, but from what I have experienced, in a normal game, I think the disadvantage of being 4th is still greater than the advantage of being first.

Keeping what you suggested about the first 3 players' tiles/selections the same, what about instead giving the 4th player 4 starting tiles to choose from, but they get to keep 3 of them (instead of giving them more tiles from which to choose 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Cohen
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
feldfan2014 wrote:
yatescory wrote:
High Elf Andrew wrote:

Andrew,

Thanks!

The emphasis above is mine, but from what I have experienced, in a normal game, I think the disadvantage of being 4th is still greater than the advantage of being first.

Keeping what you suggested about the first 3 players' tiles/selections the same, what about instead giving the 4th player 4 starting tiles to choose from, but they get to keep 3 of them (instead of giving them more tiles from which to choose 2).

I think this means that the third player is now hosed instead of the fourth player. Big advantage going fourth over third. I like the choice of extra tiles but maybe an extra 1/3/5 corn for player 2/3/4 may help as well. Just my two cents.

Harvey

`

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.