Hide
4 Posts

Room 25» Forums » General

Subject: Varient Play: Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: a-tester [+] [View All]
Canada
flag msg tools
Me and 3 other buddies played Room 25 last friday with a varient that was suggested (I think on this site) and it worked out really well so i wanted to come here and explain what we did and how it worked.

We ended up using a D20 dice and numbering the rows around the board 1 through to 20.

15 14 13 12 11
16 X X X X X 10
17 X X X X X 9
18 X X X X X 8
19 X X X X X 7
20 X X X X X 6
1 2 3 4 5

At the start of each player round (after programming) we would roll a D20 dice and slide the row in the direction indicated. For example, if we rolled a 9 on the above board, we would slide row 9 to the left. If we rolled a 4, we would slide the row up.. etc. If we rolled a 3, 8, 13, or 18, nothing would happen (since the spawn tile is in the middle). The slide direction was then set for the row ensureing it could not be slid back that round.

This added some randomness to the gameplay and it worked out very, very well. It made the board a lot harder to remember, and also screwed with the prisoners pretty good since we did the roll AFTER the programming stage but before executing your moves. There were a few times, someone would want to move into a room, and have it slide away and they end up having to change thier plan and move into a different room, or be forced into an unknown room which made it a lot more fun.

I would highly suggest trying this varient.. we thought it really added to the game, and have decided that this will indeed be how we play from now on in furture games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
françois rouzé
France
flag msg tools
designer
this is not far from an element that was in the prototype version and that we work for season 2.
can you tell me in which configuration you play this variant ?
Suspicion or cooperative or team ?
thanks for your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
works great with Co-opertive, because it makes it just that much harder to get everyone to the exit in time. Also we played it in 4 and 5 player suspicion and both worked great..

Have not tried it in team yet, but I couldn't imagine it being a bad thing.. the added dynamic is subtle enough not to screw you over every turn, yet just enough added randomness to force you to change your plans from time to time which makes it a fun element.

If you need anyone to test your next game let me know you have a solid fanbase at my gaming group that can provide feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Katz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great idea. This option looks to have more of the feel of the movies as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.