Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will someone please tell me the story of Beyond the Black River will be one of the scenarios. That alone would make me campaign for this game during the kickstarter and pledge more than I have with any other game. and if you haven't read that story, do your self a favor and go read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure there will be a scenario following its exact plot, but one of the boards (the one I showed a picture of), is a pict village, there will be pict warriors (as shown by the picture from Adrian Smith) and Zogar Sag was in the test scenario, so it's certainly possible that he'll be present in the final game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there will be picts (see image gallery), I daresay there is a fair chance that at least one of the scenarios will be somehow related to this story. Recreating this whole story in a single scenario seems a bit difficult, though (from what I've read of the game). Anyway, we got plenty of time to learn more before the KS starts .

Edit: ninja'ed by Itaï!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also "Wolves Beyond the Border" which involved the Pictish frontier during Conan's revolution that put him on the Aquilonian throne. As such it is not one of his adventures, but it would be an easier short story to turn into a scenario.

"Beyond the Black River" is an excellent short story. For those who play GURPS, it has been made into a challenging solo adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

From what little info we have, I fear that the designers aren't thinking along these lines. As I posted over in the News forum:

Treating campaigns as an afterthought seems like a big missed opportunity to me -- this game could enable the players to play out actual Conan stories as 'mini-campaigns', which could themselves be linked into a larger narrative. Imagine playing Conan and his companions trying to loot the Tower of the Elephant, for example, or exploring the lost city of Xuchotl from Red Nails!

(And the direction of this game genre is certainly moving to campaign play -- just look at Descent 2.0, Mice and Mystics, or the upcoming Super Dungeon Explore expansion...)

I also worry that the huge number of minis and small number of scenarios means that the focus is on the cool minis, not the gameplay.

Hopefully I'm wrong, as I'd love to own a great tactical Conan game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
James, you make a good point. Mice and Mystics has a very small number of minis but a large number of scenarios that all link together.

They really need to make sure they cover people that want one-night adventures, or continuing campaigns. Don't skimp on the adventure part since that's what gives games like this legs. And take care not to make the same misteps Myth did on focusing too much on components and not on rules/proofing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I didn't want to bring up the 'M' word....

My fear that campaigns will be an 'afterthought' comes from two comments in the News forum.

From Itai:

Conan: the legend is not primarily a campaign game. Scenarios are built to be played separately. However the question has been asked to the designer, who answered that there are certainly enough parameters in the game for character improvement, to create the possibility of campaign gaming. So I guess it's possible campaign rules will be included in the game.

From Itai quoting Fred Henry on the Tric-Trac forums:

One last thing : Since we have now three more months before us, I can guarantee you that there will be at least one campaign in the base game box.

It seems to me that a solid, engaging and varied campaign for a game of this type must be incredibly difficult to design and balance, and needs to be a major focus of the design effort from the start. That does not seem to be the case here -- but then they still do have time, so I'll keep my hopes up until we know more.

Personally, I will throw money at them if the game lets me play real Conan adventures that develop across multiple settings featuring heroes that grow in skill -- especially if they're based on the original stories. Single-shot scenarios don't really interest me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
And take care not to make the same misteps Myth did on focusing too much on components and not on rules/proofing.

As I said elsewhere, while the artists work on the art and components, Fred Henry and his teams of scenarists and game developers are working actively on the game mechanisms and the scenarii.

As for the rules, Fred Henry stated that the rulebook will be available at the start of the kickstarter, so you'll be able to check it by yourslf before pledging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!... I salute you.
badge
Conan! What is best in life? Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always loved the 1st Movie, but have not read any of the books or short stories.

Do the stories come from the novel, "Conan the Conqueror" or from the short stories in the Weird Tales pulp magazine? Perhaps something else? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmcallahan wrote:
I have always loved the 1st Movie, but have not read any of the books or short stories.

Do the stories come from the novel, "Conan the Conqueror" or from the short stories in the Weird Tales pulp magazine? Perhaps something else? Thanks

It is based on all the Conan stories written by Howard. If you wish to read it I recommend the Del Rey/Wandering Star edition which gather them in three tomes, and on which Patrice Louinet (the Howard expert for the game) worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

This is the first volume:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Coming-Conan-Cimmerian-Adventures/...

Which has these stories:

1. The Phoenix on the Sword
2. The Frost-Giant's Daughter
3. The God in the Bowl
4. The Tower of the Elephant
5. The Scarlet Citadel
6. Queen of the Black Coast
7. Black Colossus
8. Iron Shadows in the Moon (aka Shadows in the Moonlight)
9. Xuthal of the Dusk (aka The Slithering Shadow)
10. The Pool of the Black One
11. The Vale of Lost Women
12. The Devil in Iron
13. The Phoenix on the Sword (first submitted draft)

One cool thing about the Del Rey collection is that they put the stories in the order they were written, so you can see the sword & sorcery genre being created before your eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!... I salute you.
badge
Conan! What is best in life? Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because it is so awesome, make sure you get to the last story of the 3 books, beyond the black river is the last story. It's a must read for any fantasy lover. The rest is just ok, that story is why Conan is remembered today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
Just because it is so awesome, make sure you get to the last story of the 3 books, beyond the black river is the last story. It's a must read for any fantasy lover. The rest is just ok, that story is why Conan is remembered today.

IYHO perhaps. I think the "rest" is much better than "just ok".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol well of course it's just my opinion. But it's a good opinion. that and a lot of the other stories weren't even Conan stories to begin with. I've been reading Conan since... Ugh almost 30 years, but even when I was younger I could tell there was something different about that story. It's a shame he killed himself, I would of liked to see where he would of taken and developed Conan into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Lemonnier
France
Clichy
Hauts-de-seine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also a matter of tastes. IMO the best story I read so far is "The hour of the dragon".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
labellerouge wrote:
It's also a matter of tastes. IMO the best story I read so far is "The hour of the dragon". :D

And Red Nails. You can't forget Red Nails with Valeria!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are (in my humble opinion) the best novels you must read :
(presented in chronological order of writing)

- The Frost-Giant's Daughter
- The Tower of the elephant
- The Scarlet Citadel
- Queen of the Black Coast
- Black Colossus
- The People of the Black Circle
- A Witch Shall be Born
- Beyond the Black River
- Red Nails
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.