11 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Collective OP 1 question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerimy O'Mary

Texas
msg tools
How is the randomness of the BCT assimilation determined?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assume you can do it however you want. Shuffle them up and pick one without looking. Roll a standard d6. Any way that's random!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blackwell
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was figuring on assigning a number to each, rolling that many dice and counting the battlestations. dont have to bring anything else, and I keep my cards for a ship in a 9 card sheet protector

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use all the same color sleeves for everything, so I can shuffle it up face down adn let my opponent pick one, or vice versa and such.

Could use sufficiently random dice.

Not the most specific so it might take some thinking, especially because they put the upgrade symbol and faction on the card backs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
My plan was to start with the elite talent as "1", and continue down through officers, weapons, techs and assign numbers. I'll use a D6 if that works, a D10 if theship is loaded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Option 1) Shuffle the cards and draw one.
Option 2) If you store your cards in a page (like I do). Roll 5 dice for each. Fewest Battlestations goes.

Here's an idea that might save time (obviously you'd want to clear it with the TO/Group first)

Use whatever option you choose to assign a random order at the beginning of the game, during Set Up. Then, discards the cards IN THAT ORDER through out the game.

Still random, but you aren't stopping the game every turn to make the selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Conphas wrote:
I was figuring on assigning a number to each, rolling that many dice and counting the battlestations. dont have to bring anything else, and I keep my cards for a ship in a 9 card sheet protector

The problem with this approach is that this does not give an equal chance for each upgrade to be assimilated.

ie.

2 dice:
0 - 56.25%
1 - 37.5%
2 - 6.25%

3 dice:
0 - 42.1875%
1 - 42.1875%
2 - 14.0625%
3 - 1.5625%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mordaenor wrote:
Option 2) If you store your cards in a page (like I do). Roll 5 dice for each. Fewest Battlestations goes.

Here's an idea that might save time (obviously you'd want to clear it with the TO/Group first)

Use whatever option you choose to assign a random order at the beginning of the game, during Set Up. Then, discards the cards IN THAT ORDER through out the game.

Still random, but you aren't stopping the game every turn to make the selection.

The problem with pre-determining the order is that it allows you to plan your strategy around the order of assimilation ( ie. I'd better use my photon torpedoes early and leave them disabled because I know they'll be assimilated first )

I seem to be pretty negative on this thread... apologies for that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
I'm thinking off the top of my head that having some 4/6/8/12 side dice on hand and just having people roll the closes one to the number of upgrades/captains and count (set at the start that we are counting from left to right or something) and then just re-rolling if you get a higher number then you have left.

It's faster then shuffling, will work if cards aren't sleeved and should be correctly random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lerris wrote:
Mordaenor wrote:

The problem with pre-determining the order is that it allows you to plan your strategy around the order of assimilation ( ie. I'd better use my photon torpedoes early and leave them disabled because I know they'll be assimilated first )

I seem to be pretty negative on this thread... apologies for that

True, but if everyone's using the same method, there's no harm done. Hence the "clear it with your group first"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Freeman
msg tools
mbmbmb
Having the symbols on the back of the cards can make "random" a challenge. How about this: Shuffle, then have your opponent pick a number from 1 to how many upgrade cards you shuffled. Then, from the top down, draw the corresponding card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.