Martin Bell
Australia
Dandenong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I wish the wording on the Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and Legendary-Villains: Marvel Deck Building Game Bystanders was changed from 'Rescue/Kidnap' a Bystander to a more universal keyword like take, receive or acquire as I don't believe these are in use and take is even in the Rescue a Bystander description in the Rule Book.

If this was done it would enable all the Bystanders from both set's to be completely interchangeable, with the set's Heroes and Villain cards saying whether they Rescue or Kidnap the Bystander.

Brenzor if your reading, please consider it for future expansion's as it would only increase compatibility between the set's and give us something we want which is more unique Bystanders.

Post modified with Thanks to AHewlett for reminding me that the Gain keyword is already in use and changing to it would complicate the bystanders going to the Victory Pile rule.

Thanks all for your time,
Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why you can't do this anyways?

The wording is just thematic flavor, but there's nothing (mechnically speaking) that stops you from using Core set's bystanders with Villains' and vice versa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
Australia
Dandenong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
I don't see why you can't do this anyways?

The wording is just thematic flavor, but there's nothing (mechnically speaking) that stops you from using Core set's bystanders with Villains' and vice versa...

You can do whatever you want now, but I for one would prefer the slight naming variation so whichever set you use the bystander in the theme of the set isn't effected.

Then the Hero and Villain cards are what drives the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmb
Marcus_Iscariat wrote:
Hi All,

I wish the wording on the Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and Legendary-Villains: Marvel Deck Building Game Bystanders was changed from 'Rescue/Kidnap' a Bystander to When you 'Gain' a Bystander.

The main problem that I can see with this is that in the game when you "gain" something it means that you place it in your discard pile. The rescue/kidnap places it in your Victory point pile. now you start changing too many game mechanics for my liking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
Australia
Dandenong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AHewlett wrote:
Marcus_Iscariat wrote:
Hi All,

I wish the wording on the Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and Legendary-Villains: Marvel Deck Building Game Bystanders was changed from 'Rescue/Kidnap' a Bystander to When you 'Gain' a Bystander.

The main problem that I can see with this is that in the game when you "gain" something it means that you place it in your discard pile. The rescue/kidnap places it in your Victory point pile. now you start changing too many game mechanics for my liking.

Hi AHewlett,

Thanks for the feedback but there won't be a problem with the name change as it doesn't modify the rule's on page 10 of the base rule book which tells you where to place bystanders or page 13 Your Victory Point Bubble which states that Villains and Bystanders are never shuffled into your deck.

Also for Scheme's that change bystanders into something else ie. Replace Earth's Leaders with Killbots even they revert into Bystanders when you gain them to your Victory Pile per Devin Lows designers response to these circumstance (link below)

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/885612/a-couple-bystander-qu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmb
Marcus_Iscariat wrote:
AHewlett wrote:
Marcus_Iscariat wrote:
Hi All,

Hi AHewlett,

Thanks for the feedback but there won't be a problem with the name change as it doesn't modify the rule's on page 10 of the base rule book which tells you where to place bystanders or page 13 Your Victory Point Bubble which states that Villains and Bystanders are never shuffled into your deck.

Also for Scheme's that change bystanders into something else ie. Replace Earth's Leaders with Killbots even they revert into Bystanders when you gain them to your Victory Pile per Devin Lows designers response to these circumstance (link below)

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/885612/a-couple-bystander-qu...

As far as the rule on page 10 goes that was clearly changed with Mind Control Prof. X. Which states that you defeat a villain you may gain it. It then becomes a grey Hero with no text that gives +fight equal to its fight. Clearly to player's discard pile. Page 15 of rule book has a paragraph clearly defining the term "gain" in the game.

For these reasons I'll have to stick to my original argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bell
Australia
Dandenong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll concede the point on the Gain keyword AHewlett but still believe there should be a more unified keyword possibly take, receive or acquire as I don't believe these are in use and take is even in the Rescue a Bystander description to make the Bystanders more universal to both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmb
Marcus_Iscariat wrote:
I'll concede the point on the Gain keyword AHewlett but still believe there should be a more unified keyword possibly take, receive or acquire as I don't believe these are in use and take is even in the Rescue a Bystander description to make the Bystanders more universal to both games.

That was what I was trying to say in the beginning but possibly failed to convey. I'm in total agreement that I would love to have all terms in both games to be the same in both games. I just wasn't in favor of using terms already established for one function to then be used for a different function also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the current language of rescue/kidnap.

It would seem a shame to make either set a little less thematic just for those who wish to merge the two. 'Gain' or other neutral term definitely heads towards the dry 'take 3 yellow cubes' approach which Legendary so nicely avoids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Low
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi folks, I have good news on this topic:

All cards in Marvel Legendary: Villains are 100% compatible with every other Marvel Legendary set.

The Villains rulebook has a specific section on how to combine the heroic sets and the villainous sets together. In particular when mixing sets, the section says that "a player rescues a Bystander" and "a player kidnaps a Bystander" are considered equivalent. Likewise, "Villain captures a Bystander" and "Adversary guards a Bystander" are considered equivalent. So you can mix all the Bystanders and special Bystanders from all sets together, whether you are focusing on Heroes, Villains, or a combination. All the best,

Devin Low meeple
Designer, Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.