Subject: Confusing end game situation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vivix
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I retreated, which caused both of us to have 0 dragons.

At this point, I had two non-character cards in my hand (draw deck empty), and my opponent had one non-character card. I chose to decline to start a fight, and discarded one card. My opponent couldn't start a fight, so he discarded his last card. At this point, I guess the game ends, and I won since I had more cards.

Did we play this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vivix7 wrote:

At this point, I had two non-character cards in my hand (draw deck empty), and my opponent had one non-character card. I chose to decline to start a fight, and discarded one card. My opponent couldn't start a fight, so he discarded his last card. At this point, I guess the game ends, and I won since I had more cards.

Did we play this right?

Sounds right to me. Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vivix7 wrote:

Did we play this right?

Yes. Not sure why that's confusing.

In terms of play, you clearly did the right thing. Unless both (a) you are playing for crystals, and (b) you don't know if your opponent's last card is a character (playable character, unplayable mutant might just as we'll not be a character). If you opponent doesn't have a character, discard one card, win one crystal. If he does have a character, discarding one allies him to play it, a win two crystals, while discarding two cards gives him the win by one crystal.

So how sure are you about his last card? (Rhetorical question only.)

(If you want to go by expected number of crystals - not necessarily the right criterion - if you estimate probability of having character is p, net win is (1-p)-2p = 1-3p while if you discard 2, net win is -p. These are equal if p = 1/2. So go with your best guess.)

Edit: error in last bit corrected by another poster later. The rules bit is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivix
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Dearlove wrote:
Vivix7 wrote:

Did we play this right?

What was confusing was that the game ends when a player has no cards at the end of a fight. When my opponent chose to decline to start a fight and discarded his final card, we weren't sure if that was considered "at the end of a fight," if that makes sense.

I think we are just over thinking it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vivix7 wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Vivix7 wrote:

Did we play this right?

What was confusing was that the game ends when a player has no cards at the end of a fight. When my opponent chose to decline to start a fight and discarded his final card, we weren't sure if that was considered "at the end of a fight," if that makes sense.

I think we are just over thinking it.

No, you're over-simplifying it in your first sentence. Read the third bullet on page 8 of the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
(If you want to go by expected number of crystals - not necessarily the right criterion - if you estimate probability of having character is p, net win is (1-p)-2p = 1-3p while if you discard 2, net win is -p -1. These are equal if p = 1/2 2/3. So go with your best guess, but discard 2 only if you are 66.7% sure that he has a character.)

FTFY

If he discards 2 it doesn't matter what the opponent has as the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MartinWin wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
(If you want to go by expected number of crystals - not necessarily the right criterion - if you estimate probability of having character is p, net win is (1-p)-2p = 1-3p while if you discard 2, net win is -p -1. These are equal if p = 1/2 2/3. So go with your best guess, but discard 2 only if you are 66.7% sure that he has a character.)

FTFY

If he discards 2 it doesn't matter what the opponent has as the game ends.

Brain fade. Thanks for the catch.

Edit, I'd also cross out the bit I've done above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.