Lee Frank
United States
Bloomfield
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dear Board Game Geekers,

I've held off on a civ game for a long time (although I used to play the old Sid Mier Civilization board game and computer game.)

It looks like the current Through the Ages KS has a good chance of reaching it's $60,000 stretch goal, a free copy of Master's Gallery. They are past $35K and have over a month to go.

So which do you think is a better deal (more game for your buck):
Nations for about $66
OR
Through the Ages + Master's Gallery (+ the not so hot Warriors and Warriors: Dragon Hordes expansion and Bacchus) for $60.

If you were looking for a civ game, and had about $60, which would you get: Nations or TTA and MG?

FWIW: I'm also interested in guesses on the odds of the TTA KS reaching their $100K stretch goal which releases a FREE copy of Oltre Mare (the only other stretch goal I'm interested in.)

Thanks!

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely TTA. It's a much better game, and feels closer to Civ, the computer game, than Nations does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on a few factors:

1. The likelihood each game will hit the table.
2. When you want to get it.

TTA is a significantly longer and more complicated and complex game. It's a game that requires many repeated plays to play well. An experienced player will destroy a newbie. You really need a small group of savvy gamers that will repeatedly play it with you. Keep in mind that it'll take a good 45 minutes to explain all of the rules and at least an hour per player for at least your first several plays and possibly more. More if you have players stricken with AP. That being said it's definitely all worth it. Brilliant game. Though, you're going to be waiting quite a long time before the game is in your hands--until at least August, assuming they actually deliver when promised.

Nations is simpler and streamlined. With the handicap system built into the game, less experienced players can stay competitive. The variance in the cards inherent in the design and the tactical play versus strategic also helps less experienced players stay in the game. It's also much shorter to the tune of close to half the time, maybe a smidge more. It only takes may 15 minutes to teach, too. Nations also plays great from 2 to 4 players and reportedly plays well at 5 too. TTA is really a 2-3 player game. And if it matters at all, Nations has a solo mode that is actually quite fun.

If it were me, I'd take Nations. It's not because it's necessarily the better game; I'm not sure I could say one is better than the other as they're really different games. It's because Nations hits the table WAY more frequently than TTA. TTA is also such a bear to teach.

Luckily I don't have to choose. I think the big question you need to ask yourself is how often will each see play. Personally, I'd get Nations now and get TTA when it hits store shelves this late fall/winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and like both.

Through the Ages is the more intense game and it definitely feels more like a civilization building game than Nations. It is quite a bit more complex, too. There are a lot of small details you have to keep in mind. With four players it takes really long.

Nations is more streamlined and has less direct conflict than TTA (one of the design goals, actually). It plays faster, even with five players.

Have you also considered these?

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
Clash of Cultures

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TTA is a bit of a long slog from what I've heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2002188924/through-the-...

I had no idea they ran one.

My first reaction was TTA because it was on Kickstarter (better looking version? Check KS: Nope. Just another way of getting it + stretch goals?)

I haven't played either game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Own both and enjoy them both. However, TTA hasn't hit the table in 3 years! I've played Nations 10 times since buying it back in January.

My two main gaming partners pretty much ask to play it on a weekly basis. I think that speaks for itself.

I've also recently purchased Sid Meier's Civilization and have been enjoying that as well. This one is quite different from eithe TTA or Nations though. The main difference being the actual game board in Civ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nations is a good game. Through the Ages fell on Vlaada while he slept through the crack between our world and a far superior universe that's clearly in his bedroom ceiling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Clash of Cultures

My favorite Civ game with what looks like a great expansion upcoming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Edwards
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I backed TtA & so I am hoping to reach the stretch goals.

Through the Ages is a great game, though it definitely isn't a short game. So, if you think that you will have 3-4 hours to play it regularly, then you should definitely get a copy of it (whether by backing the KS campaign or buying it after the reprint). I think that the KS campaign is the way to go, but I'm really hoping that Eagle adds/changes the stretch goals to include a game that more people will be excited about than the ones currently on the campaign. I'd love for them to switch out the For Sale tuck box edition for Bacchus, and then move Bacchus to a $120k stretch goal. Doubt they will, but I can hope, right?? As for the games as they stand, I haven't played any of the ones currently offered as stretch goals, so I'm hoping that at least one of them is a hit with me and my friends, even if it's not as well received on BGG as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.