Popular Tags: [View All]
S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

(thumbsups appreciated!)

The take a break from FIFA and come play some board games Edition.

Events radar:

Game Summit 2014 That's right, it's back in all its glory! Running 27-28 September. gamesummit.ca

Kanatacon Our 1-day con held near Labour Day. Tentative.

DiefCon 1 Tentative. "A unique Cold War themed board game gathering at the Diefenbunker Cold War Musuem in Carp, Ontario (West of Ottawa)." "With Cold War themed tournaments to include:

Manhattan Project
Twilight Struggle
other cold war themed board games or war games depending on the preferences."

If you are interested check out the thread

Recent Past Events

1st Annual Military Hobby Show An interesting event. The drill hall was filled with vendors of all description of military collectable including uniforms, decorations, books. We (okay I) was set up beside a military model maker who was showing a 1/6 scale Sherman tank. 1/6 looked huge and apparently is the same scale as GI Joe. I set up Twilight Struggle, Memoir '44, Axis & Allies, and Battle Line. Mark Loebach was also there from the Ottawa Games Group and had History of the World laid out. Between answering questions, Mark & I got in a few rounds of Battle Line. Kudos to Bob Thompson for setting up this show!

WifeGonCon 2014 Held this past weekend. A little shorter this year, a little less notice but a good time nevertheless. If you are interested, stay tuned for the geeklist which will be populated with the games that were played in the order they were played (based on a reconstruction from little scraps of paper scattered thru' the house).

We are at: www.kanataboardgamers.ca

There will be a meeting of the Kanata Board Gamers this Thursday, 19 June 2014. The start time for the session is 6 PM till approximately 11pm.

The place is: Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church
Detailed directions follow, but it is quite close to the Hazeldean Public Library.

Also, send me a geekmail if you want to let me know about anything - from suggestions for raising club attendance, club purchase suggestions, or just telling me whether you can make the meeting.

Feel free to use this forum thread to discuss what to play!

You may bring food & drink (be neat!). We can rearrange the tables & chairs provided we return everything an keep things tidy.

Our meetings are posted on meetup; check out http://meetup.gamesforall.ca/

Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (KCCRC) is 46 Castlefrank Rd (directions follow). There is parking outside. Go straight through the front doors and you can't miss us!

$2.50 will be collected from each person. The first $30 collected is donated to our gracious venue. Any left over will go into a boardgame library fund. The war chest stands at $670.47. Check out the library (BGG user: KanataBoardGamers). Members can borrow from the library any time. Borrow it one session, bring it back for the next!

Visitors are always welcome. Come on in and check us out! There is no obligation, but if you decide to become a member it only costs $7.50 and entitles you to 10% discount cards at select local games stores.

Note if you want the discount cards (for Fandom II, Mrs. Tiggy Winkles, and Comic Book Shoppe), let me know & I'll have them made up. 100% of the $7.50 fee goes to Can Games 2014 to support kids games and the cards are good for 1 calendar year from the month you get them. You have donated $0 since CanGames.

Please add to this thread with your suggestions of what to play.

Hope to see you then!

Directions by car to the Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (from the East):

1. Take Queensway/417 to Castlefrank exit, EXIT 139
2. Turn left onto Kanata Ave
3. Continue about 2km to 46 Castlefrank Rd. Destination will be on the left
4. Go thru' the doors and into the main hall.

Directions using public transportation (from the East)
1. OC Transpo route 118 starts at the Hurdman station.
2. For stops check the 118 route: http://www.octranspo1.com/maps/
3. The stop you want is Hazeldean & Castlefrank
4. Walk west on Castlefrank following signs for the library
5. The church is on your left and is well signed.
6. Go up the hill to the front doors
7. Go thru' the doors and into the main hall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A decent turn out last night, enough for two tables.

Due to a softball playoff game I was delayed and hope to hear about what else was played.

I interrupted an explanation of Sail to India when the gracious players realised it only played 4 but I made it 5 and agreed to play something else.

Instead we played Cuba. In player order it was Frank, Bob, Jonathan, Steve, me. I explained the game since no one had played before. The first four players scooped up the cigar & rum production so I was left waiting the first turn and buying the black market in the second. Through savvy planning Bob was able to build up a considerable lead by shipping. Steve and Bob battled back and forth for top spot. Jonathan was middle of the pack and rising; he had a nice little water business mid-game with the water subsidy and good water production. Frank and I duelled for (avoidance of) last. My low-light was having to burn some goods on turn 3.

Altho' Jonathan did manage to make it close to the front runners, his water monopoly collapsed whilst Bob and Steve continued to ship. Bob took this one with a commanding lead, followed by Steve then Jonathan who were clustered then a gap then Frank & I. Frank & I tied in points but I managed to beat him on pesos. arrrh

The other table was playing Exodus: Proxima Centauri. I'd like to hear the blow-by-blow on that and whatever else got played before I got there.

Hope to see you on the 3rd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.