10 Posts

D-Day at Omaha Beach» Forums » General

Subject: Need Advice: Should I Continue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm playing the full campaign and I think because of all my practice with the short version (what I'm calling Omaha-lite and will talk more about in a future post) I got 27 VPs!!! My question is whether it's worth continuing with the full game? or did I kill all the challenge. Basically there are only enemies in the middle, none on the far east or far west. Any suggestions from people who have played the full thing would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
The Beyond the Beach portion of the game is very different and injects new challenges for you to overcome. The German enemy uses dynamic tactics and doesn't rely on the static defense they utilize in the first half of the game.

I would definitely play it out. I think the second half is even more fun than the first half. My limited exposure to it left me feeling that the second half offers the player more tactical considerations than are available in The First Waves.

I may be hanging out on a limb here, but if memory serves correct the VP required for success is different depending on whether you are planning to play only The First Waves or if you plan on playing Beyond the Beach. My gut impression based on the differing VP scale was that you need to play more aggressively to get an adequate rating if just playing The First Waves. The VP threshold required to advance to Beyond the Beach is a lower score and so playing a more cautious first half may benefit the player in the long run if attempting to play the long game.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:

The VP threshold required to advance to Beyond the Beach is a lower score and so playing a more cautious first half may benefit the player in the long run if attempting to play the long game.

Thoughts?

The First Waves has a VP threshold of 19 after turn 16, if you have any less you lose. The extended game has a VP check at the same time; 10 or fewer points and you lose at that point, 11 to 24 VP means keep playing, and 25+ is a decisive US victory.
The 19 VP is right in the middle of the "keep playing" bracket, which looks to me like it's designed to facilitate the same style of play. The main difference I think would be the actions in turns 14-16 since in The First Waves you want to grab as many VPs as possible without caring for losses (avoiding catastrophic losses of course) while in the expanded game you have to consider the position that you leave yourself in; instead of making a hail-marry attack in turn 16 you can set up an attack for turn 17 or 18.

So far I have not played the extended game (all results were either catastrophic losses or 25+ VP wins which I didn't feel like continuing, mostly due to lack of familiarity with the extended game rules) so I'd also appreciate the views of somebody with more experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
The 19 VP is right in the middle of the "keep playing" bracket, which looks to me like it's designed to facilitate the same style of play. The main difference I think would be the actions in turns 14-16 since in The First Waves you want to grab as many VPs as possible without caring for losses (avoiding catastrophic losses of course) while in the expanded game you have to consider the position that you leave yourself in; instead of making a hail-marry attack in turn 16 you can set up an attack for turn 17 or 18.

Thanks for clarifying; I was running off memory and not referencing the rules.

The second sentence in your quote above is what I was ultimately trying to get at (and I confused it by faultily contrasting the VP scale between games), having played The First Waves a few times and progressing to Beyond the Beach once. I felt that attempting to play the longer game gave me more to consider and plan for. The Hail Mary play that you described for the short game wouldn't necessarily be a viable option if planning for the long haul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing that I like to do in The First Waves is to leave the pretty useless anti-tank, anti-air, and artillery units in the heavy fire hexes so that they take hits instead of the much more useful infantry. Last time I managed to get 27 VPs, but had maybe 3 tanks and as many one strength artillery left.
I'm certain that trying to take the high ground without barrages and artillery supported assaults would not have been fun!

So yeah, I agree that a more cautious play style is better for Beyond the Beach but I'll worry about that when I get there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate all the discussion, but I think my original question may have been a bit misunderstood. I started off intending to play the extended game, but am wondering whether it is worthwhile given that I did so well in the first 16 turns. Having gotten a decisive victory it looks like there would be very little enemy resistance, but I would love to try the extended game. Should I continue on anyway or should I start a brand new game or should I use the Beyond the Beach scenario? I realize there is no right answer here which is why I'm looking for advice from those who have played the extended game a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
B S - I thought I answered your question before I went on my tangent. Yes, I think you should play because the second half is quite different. I's a good opportunity to expose yourself to the new rules and to see if you're interested in he long game. Don't be concerned with the challenge, I think you'll find that your good luck may not last the whole game. 1ike I said earlier, the enemy offers a much more fluid and dynamic resistance during Beyond the Beach.

Niko, in regard to your last observation about the non-infantry units being used as fodder and not being around in significant numbers for the second half, it's important to get as many of those to the high ground not just to assist with bombardments and attacks, but also because they, especially the tanks, are worth extra VP if moved to the high ground and exiting the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I really need to re-read the entire rules to see what's important in the extended game before I try it. I wouldn't even have thought of that use for them.

B S - If you are familiar with the rules I'd say give it a try (and report back how it goes!) Even if it's easier than intended you'll still learn the rules and have a better grasp next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I went ahead and started playing through it anyway, worst case scenario was I won too big . In fact, with only 3 turns to go it's been pretty difficult and tons of fun. The additional rules add a lot of variability and excitement without making the game that much more complex. I'll report in when I finish up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up getting 46 VP. I suspect this is a horrible score given how well I was doing going into the extended game, but I learned a lot. Part of the low score was that I didn't move a single unit off the map, because I was trying to wipe out all the German units. I did get rid of a ton, but I suspect in the future I will just focus on controlling enough to move people out. Overall, an excellent addition to the first 16 turns and highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.