Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Stormtrooper
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys!
So, to start off, my wife and I have been playing board games for a while. We have some friends who have a bunch of stuff, from Mice & Mystics, to Descent: 2nd Ed, to Shadows Over Camelot. We've played quite a few games with them but are looking to pick up a great two player, co-op RPG-type game. However, there are a LOT of games out there, and we need recommendations. I am going to post this to a few boards to (hopefully) get a range of answers and a range of experiences.

What we like/dislike about relevant games we've played:

Descent: 2nd Edition: We have had really great times playing this game with friends.
(1) Love the board (interchangeable, double sides pieces for a bunch of different possibilities),
(2) Love the characters, (one character is YOU. You level up, you choose abilities and items.)
(3) Like the game play (sometimes it can be a bit monotonous, waiting for your turn again, but overall, pleasant)
(4) Dislike the Overlord. We want to be on the same side, with a common goal. The Overlord ruins this game for us (as a 2 player co-op game. As a 3 vs 1 game, the overlord works great!)

- Shadows Over Camelot: Did NOT like this game. Basically, it seemed more like you spent the entire game barely getting by, instead of victories, rewards, leveling up, etc. For me, this game was more stressful than enjoyable.

- Mansions of Madness
(1) Liked the board (interchangeable)
(2) Dislike the "overlord" (can't remember what he's called) simply because of a desire for a 2 player co-op game.
(3) Dislike all of the game mechanics. It seemed like (at times) you would go to roll, then someone would remind you of some affliction. Or that a monster was now in the room. Or this thing had happened. Or that thing. Or you would get halfway through your turn, only to realize that something else should have happened that would have prevented your decision. Basically, the gameplay has never really felt smooth, fluid. Seemed very jerky, halting, like a inexperienced person driving a manual transmission.
(4) Dislike the characters. I never really connected with any of the characters that I was. No leveling up, no advancement. Pretty static.

I was looking into Myth, but I heard pretty scary things about the rule book. I also am not sure how much I would enjoy, "Pick a tile. Pick how many mobs. Pick how many _____." I'm happy making decisions, but having to choose that many things seems more like designing my own game instead of playing one.
Thought about Mice and Mystics as well, but having to control a party instead of focusing on a single piece was a bit of a deterrent.

So! Any ideas?
To sum it up:
I'm looking for. Co-op, two player board game. Needs to have:
RPG elements (leveling up, items, character customization, equipment),
A decent map (hopefully, a game where there isn't only one map, for only one scenario)
Fluid gameplay (it's easy remembering when your character has a flaw/addition. But not so much when there are 40 things you have to do before you can even begin your turn)
Enjoyable.

I am open to any an all suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Parks
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should check out Galaxy Defenders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice & mystic is good co op game

How about Mage Knight the board game ?

there're co op scenario
each character is unique
level up / upgrade them

There's arcadia quest but it still in preorder phase
not co op sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all the games you mention, and here's my thoughts for what they are worth.

I'm with you in liking everything about Descent 2.0 but the Overlord. Check out Nerdook's solo/co-op 2.1 rules in the Variants section of the Descent forums. It is absolutely superb, and will give you a very satisfying co-op experience. Rekindled my interest in the game completely. FFG should hire him, seriously.

I like Galaxy Defenders too. Can't go wrong there either.

Mice and Mystics is elegantly done but a tad on the simple side for me.

Mansions of Madness was OK but a bit fiddly and disjoint. Kind of "meh" overall. L

Myth is truly awful, and not just because of the rulebook. I spent many hours figuring it out in hope that there was a good game being poorly explained, but in fact there is not. Very boring, as it turns out, as well as fiddly.

I Kick-started Machina Arcanum and Shadows of Brimstone, both co-op. I have high expectations for both, and you may wish to check them out when they make it to retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Mage Knight Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stokes
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Ravenloft/Wrath of Ashardalon/Legend of Drizzt could fit the bill here. They're pure co-op dungeon crawlers, with a campaign-like structure, customisable characters and lots of loot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
I might get flamed, but Zombicide?

Coop - Check
Changeable map - Check
No OL/DM - Check
RPG elements - 1/2 check.. you equip your character, but dont develop one over multiple games
Various scenarios - check
not overly complicated rules - check

If your alright with the theme, i find Zombicide quite a fun game, and more light hearted then Descent 2. Rules are pretty simple after a play or two.. the map can change and there are a ton of scenarios.. Heck, for my B-day my Girl bought me a 100 pack of Ninja Meeples, and some Ninja Turtle lego keychains as "stand inns" for zombies in the game and I had a ninja turtle vs foot clan game with the same board and rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that you would liket the game to have full co-op elements, RPG elements with an involving story and lots of individual character progression. The problem is, not many games have them all in them, atleast at the level you would want. A lot of games have some of these elements, but lack some.

Mage Knight Board Game Fantasy Theme

Mage Knight has full co-op, it is almost only character progression, but it lacks a written story to go by. The game is however very thematic and a seasoned RPG player might get the story out of the game by himself. The game is complicated and has a steep learning curve. The game uses cards for combat.

Galaxy Defenders Sci-fi Theme

GD has full co-op, the game is played by a storybook and has the sci-fi theme right in it. This game allows you to build up your characters weapons and skills, but not as much as Descent or Mage Knight, its in the medium sector on character progression. Still, the big plus is, that the characters are very different from each other from the beginning. The came is semi-complicated and uses attack + defense dice on combat

Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game and other D&D games mentioned by mudpan

The D&D games have the full co-op element. These games have some story but not as much as you probably would like. Still, a RPG gamer could get more out of it. The character progression is sadly not on the same level as the other games mentioned thus far. The big plus here is the loot/traps. This game uses a 20 sided die roll on combat

[Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set doesnt have a map (card game)]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent will also be coming out with full co-op scenarios sometime soon. You might want to check a review of one of those to see if it will fit your needs.
-ryanjamal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now for my minimist response.

Masterchief1 wrote:

+1

Masterchief1 wrote:

Galaxy Defenders Sci-fi Theme

+1

Masterchief1 wrote:

Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game and other D&D games mentioned by mudpan

+1

Masterchief1 wrote:

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Stormtrooper
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses!
Galaxy Defenders and Mage Knight look pretty good at first glance, I will have to check them out a bit more. I've heard about Legends of Drizzt a few places, but do you think I should go through the books first? (I plan on doing that anyway, just haven't gotten around to it yet)
I am pretty excited about the full co-op Descent article too...

And zombies is a fine theme! As long as the gameplay/story are good, we can get into just about anything. I have the Zombies!!! Game by Twilight Creations, and (while it's pretty simple, and home brew rules are a must) we have a lot of fun with it even though it's pretty far from anything that I listed earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
give it a quick look, its actualy really fun.. i know not as in depth as what people have suggested, but might be up your alley..

"Watch it played" has a video on it thats pretty good, as well as an actual level playthough so you can see exactly what its like..

If you want any suggestions as to what expansions are worth it and not ect, feel free to drop me a msg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Telnets wrote:
give it a quick look, its actualy really fun.. i know not as in depth as what people have suggested, but might be up your alley..

"Watch it played" has a video on it thats pretty good, as well as an actual level playthough so you can see exactly what its like..

If you want any suggestions as to what expansions are worth it and not ect, feel free to drop me a msg

Zombicide really does not have a story, you would have to be a hardcore RPG player to build up a story, though the theme is there and the hordes of miniatures on board really add up to the feeling.

Here´s the Watch it played video

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/23997/zombicide/watch-it-play...

Though I personally prefer the Dice Tower Review

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/23882/zombicide/dice-tower-re...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Correct, there isnt any concurrent story to the game.. Most maps have a little blurb or something giving you a little background, but nothing like what you get from the other listed games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.