Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Stormtrooper
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys!
So, to start off, my wife and I have been playing board games for a while. We have some friends who have a bunch of stuff, from Mice & Mystics, to Descent: 2nd Ed, to Shadows Over Camelot. We've played quite a few games with them but are looking to pick up a great two player, co-op RPG-type game. However, there are a LOT of games out there, and we need recommendations. I am going to post this to a few boards to (hopefully) get a range of answers and a range of experiences.

What we like/dislike about relevant games we've played:

Descent: 2nd Edition: We have had really great times playing this game with friends.
(1) Love the board (interchangeable, double sides pieces for a bunch of different possibilities),
(2) Love the characters, (one character is YOU. You level up, you choose abilities and items.)
(3) Like the game play (sometimes it can be a bit monotonous, waiting for your turn again, but overall, pleasant)
(4) Dislike the Overlord. We want to be on the same side, with a common goal. The Overlord ruins this game for us (as a 2 player co-op game. As a 3 vs 1 game, the overlord works great!)

- Shadows Over Camelot: Did NOT like this game. Basically, it seemed more like you spent the entire game barely getting by, instead of victories, rewards, leveling up, etc. For me, this game was more stressful than enjoyable.

- Mansions of Madness
(1) Liked the board (interchangeable)
(2) Dislike the "overlord" (can't remember what he's called) simply because of a desire for a 2 player co-op game.
(3) Dislike all of the game mechanics. It seemed like (at times) you would go to roll, then someone would remind you of some affliction. Or that a monster was now in the room. Or this thing had happened. Or that thing. Or you would get halfway through your turn, only to realize that something else should have happened that would have prevented your decision. Basically, the gameplay has never really felt smooth, fluid. Seemed very jerky, halting, like a inexperienced person driving a manual transmission.
(4) Dislike the characters. I never really connected with any of the characters that I was. No leveling up, no advancement. Pretty static.

I was looking into Myth, but I heard pretty scary things about the rule book. I also am not sure how much I would enjoy, "Pick a tile. Pick how many mobs. Pick how many _____." I'm happy making decisions, but having to choose that many things seems more like designing my own game instead of playing one.
Thought about Mice and Mystics as well, but having to control a party instead of focusing on a single piece was a bit of a deterrent.

So! Any ideas?
To sum it up:
I'm looking for. Co-op, two player board game. Needs to have:
RPG elements (leveling up, items, character customization, equipment),
A decent map (hopefully, a game where there isn't only one map, for only one scenario)
Fluid gameplay (it's easy remembering when your character has a flaw/addition. But not so much when there are 40 things you have to do before you can even begin your turn)
Enjoyable.

I am open to any an all suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics is the clear winner. Controlling more than one character is not a big deal - You're already moving one mouse and a few minions. What's an extra minion?
The game length is the same, but you are involved for more of it.

I think you should borrow the game and try out a chapter or two ,with just the two of you. I'd be surprised if you don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Evans
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet, but Mage Knight the Board Game comes up a lot in these types of discussions. I'm also a huge fan of Robinson Crusoe, but it doesn't meet your listed requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juzzo Hawkins
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics is brilliant! controlling multiple characters is not that difficult. You can only take one action and 1 movement per turn so it is not alot to think about. the minions move a specific way so practicaly no thinking involved when moving those.
the Art work is brilliant and each chapter is a different tile layout.
highly recommened it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love Mice & Mystics and am also a fan of the D&D Board Games (particularly the third instalment, Legend of Drizzt). I wrote a comparative review, which will hopefully assist you in finding a game to your liking.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/16038051#16038051
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Later this year 'Shadows of Brimstone' and 'Super Dungeon Explore, both Kickstarter projects, are released, and should fit your criteria...
For now, get M&M...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Teuber
Germany
Langenfeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M&M fits your criteria quite well, and I don't think it will be an issue controlling two mice each. There's not much "leveling up" (you just get one more ability to choose from per "level"), but there is a very rich theme, cute story, and many, many little enjoyable details (dinner fork grape catapult anyone? :-D).

You could also try the D&D boardgames Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon or The Legend of Drizzt. They are similar, but more "generic" D&D fantasy-style with the common and well known characters, items and spells. I felt that those are a bit more generic than M&M, but on the other hand have more variety with the different enemys, traps and encounters, and are a little bit more accessible if you have any knowledge of the D&D universe.

Not that the M&M rules are very complex, oh no. Once you get them and their little details (which is around the second or third game), it's pretty easy. The gameplay can become a bit repetitive, though, which is no issue for me, because of the atmosphere and story.

Borrow Mice & Mystics from your friend or play two sessions with him, and see if it's your cup of tea. I'm sure you will enjoy the game, or at least many parts of it, so it's time well spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check out a set of videos by "Watch it Played":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3ytmBjB6bY&list=PLHvfN_pNBj...

or check out my ongoing Play-By-Forum game:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1185224/mm-sorrow-remembranc...

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't have a map but would Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set be a fit?

EDIT: Or Assault on Doomrock?

Rahdo has done runthrough videos for both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Stormtrooper
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses!!

I am glad to hear that the "more than one" character in M&M isn't bad. When I first watched a review of M&M, the reviewer wasn't thrilled with that aspect. So, I kinda assumed that it would slow down the gameplay and make it seem more like an army instead of a character (Although , I am almost always the necromancer in Descent, so controlling more than one character wouldn't be new to me. Not sure why I let this bother me in the first place).

Assault on Doomrock, Knight Mage, Shadows of Brimstone, Galaxy defenders, and Legebd of Drizzt have all come up a few time in different posts, so I may start there.

Also, I'm not sure why I haven't heard about the Descent co-op expansion till today... But that's pretty exciting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.