Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario is an attempt to combine the fun of a full conquest scenario with the tension of fighting Volkare.

The Gathering Storm

Players: 1 to 4.
Type: Solo or cooperative.
Length: Four to Eight rounds (up to 4 days and 4 nights).
Purpose: Explore the realm to build up your strength and then confront Volkare in battle.

This game is a simple variant on Volkare's Quest. Setup and gameplay are identical with the following exceptions:

1) Volkare begins at Level 4/10/16/22. At the end of every Round, increase Volkare's level by 1 click. Begin with 0/1/2/3 indecisive units. At the end of every Day Round, make one more unit in the unit offer indecisive (more and more forces are rallying to Volkare's cause).

2) Initially, Volkare does not move from his camp. He is gathering his forces to prepare for his final assault. You still reroll mana dice as usual and Volkare will still attack you if you are in range when a red card is drawn. If Volkare draws a wound and recruits a unit from the offer, add one grey token to Volkare's ranks.

3) The goal is to defeat Volkare and you can do so at any time, just bear in mind that his strength will grow the longer you wait.

4) If Volkare runs out of cards, his army begins to march: Volkare will move 2 spaces towards the nearest city each turn and roll to recruit a unit as if he had drawn a wound. If all cities have not yet been revealed, immediately flip all remaining City tiles. When Volkare reaches a city, he will assault it as in "Vokare's Return". If all cities are conquered by Volkare, you lose. (Note that you are not required to conquer cities yourself, only defend them from Vokare).

5) Push Back: If Volkare tries to pass through your space, he will fight you. If you destroy as many of his units as there are players in the game, Volkare is pushed back. Return Volkare to the space he just moved from and flip his round order token.

6) Special Bonus: Every city you are the leader of increases your hand size by 1 no matter where you are. This bonus replaces the normal city bonus.

At the end of the game, score points as in "Volkare's Quest" with the following addition: Score 5 point for each city not conquered by Volkare and an additional 10 points for each city controlled by the players.

To increase the difficulty, you can:
- Increase the city levels
- Increase Volkare's starting level
- Add the appropriate unit type when Volkare successfully recruits a unit (see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/926864/small-variant-for...)
- Use my own Fight Volkare variant (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1174099/fight-volkare)

To reduce the difficulty, simply add more non-Wound cards to Volkare's deck.

That's it! I hope you enjoy this scenario, I will try it out tonight. Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds promising but I'm going to await some playtesting results from you and others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Managed to defeat Volkare on the first turn of Round 7 with only 2 cards left in his draw deck. I ended with a ton of fame (177) and the scenario felt very epic and exploratory, which was good.

I managed to conquer both cities, but there didn't seem to be much reward for conquering a 2nd city, so I added a hand bonus incentive for controlling cities.

It was quite difficult to attack Volkare behind his walls and there wasn't much incentive to not just sit outside and build up the perfect hand before attacking. So I decided that Volkare should start moving after he runs out of cards (putting an ultimate time limit on the game) and start increasing his army size faster (to encourage you to attack sooner).

With the new changes I made above, I think this scenario will be quite interesting. I will try it out tonight to see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After 2 more playthroughs, I decided that Volkare needed to actually do something with his army. Now he will try to take over your cities once he has amassed a grand army. You can still move to attack him in his camp while he is weak (but fortified), or you can opt to hide behind your city walls and let him come to you, although his strength ramps up quite quickly towards the end of the game (he is likely to recruit many units from the offer).

I think these new rules are quite fun, I might try removing the spells from Volkare's deck to add a bit more time pressure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Cudos for the scenario! Here are my thoughts after playing it 4 player with my brother.
I think that the scenario lacks the pressure from Volkare moving. We were able to thoroughly clean the map and got very powerful by the begining of day 3. In the end we won by only one player being able to defeat the leftover unit (we ramped up the difficulty to level 32). I think this could have been a very good intro scenario for Volkare if it weren't for the length (which I love BTW :-) )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedbak. I agree with you about having Volkare move and I'm toying with a new idea to fix this. At the beginning of every day, build an Army based on Volkare's Level and add any units which have been recruited to date. This Army gets sent out and moves around based on Volkare's card draws (Volkare stays in camp, he just sends out an expeditionary force), and will move towards the closest city once it is revealed. If an Army reaches a city, they will destroy it and move on to the next one (as in Volkare's Return). Armies act as Rampaging enemies, so they can be challenged if adjacent and they will attack you if provoked. This adds some nice flavor and it's fun to see stacks of tokens marching around the map.

At the beginning of the fourth round, Volkare himself comes out of hiding and starts moving around the map, also trying to conquer cities. If all cities are conquered, he will move towards the portal.

When Volkare runs out of cards, simply shuffle his deck to form a new draw pile.

I think this addition adds much of the tension your were missing, let me know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FOWL Noah
msg tools
Great tweek to Volkare's quest! Tried it out tonight and failed, but thought over-all it worked out really well. I played as Goldyx and had an extremely powerful character, but I think I didn't rush Volkare fast enough. I used the unit replacement variant as well which didn't help my cause as Volkare wound up with an extra Altem gurdsman and Ice mage and Ice Golum. Was a great battle though and I think your tweeks worked well. Next time I play it I'll be sure to race there much quicker. I think the extra 2 rounds, and Vokare staying put lured me into a false sense of security.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.