Subject: Single player game area control question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Just wanted to check I was doing this right. In a single player game what is the status of the other commanders areas? ie are they in play with regards counter attacks or count as controlled by the relevant missing commander(s)?

eg playing as Monty can you be counter attacked from Brads areas? Or the opposite can you surround an area that can still trace back to Dusseldorf via Brads areas.

I played that they were effectively all controlled by Brad otherwise I couldn't see how you could make much progress without being cut off by mandatory counter attacks. Is this right? And can you point me to the relevant bit of the rule book?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Jon_1066 wrote:
Just wanted to check I was doing this right. In a single player game what is the status of the other commanders areas? ie are they in play with regards counter attacks or count as controlled by the relevant missing commander(s)?

eg playing as Monty can you be counter attacked from Brads areas? Or the opposite can you surround an area that can still trace back to Dusseldorf via Brads areas.

I played that they were effectively all controlled by Brad otherwise I couldn't see how you could make much progress without being cut off by mandatory counter attacks. Is this right? And can you point me to the relevant bit of the rule book?

I agree, this appears to be an omission. The diagram between 17a and 17b implies that the neighbouring areas are not in play at all, so are effectively Allied-friendly (i.e. can't support a counterattack). The setup for a 2-player game supports this supposition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Ozon
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
I agree, this appears to be an omission. The diagram between 17a and 17b implies that the neighbouring areas are not in play at all, so are effectively Allied-friendly (i.e. can't support a counterattack). The setup for a 2-player game supports this supposition.

Please treat them in a solo game as Allied friendly if you want to play on a level easy. If you want to play on a level hard, treat them as open roads for the possible counterattacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
How can Brad make it over the Rhine if he can be counter attacked from both neighbouring areas - he doesn't have enough Corps to cover all his supply line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waldek Gumienny
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
How can Brad make it over the Rhine if he can be counter attacked from both neighbouring areas - he doesn't have enough Corps to cover all his supply line.

He only needs one line. And he can secure it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
OK I can see that since each corps can effectively protect a line three areas long. So you need to string out your corps rather than take a broad front approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waldek Gumienny
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
OK I can see that since each corps can effectively protect a line three areas long. So you need to string out your corps rather than take a broad front approach.

Exactly. This knowledge is also good when playing the 2 Player or 3 Player Game. There is often a risk that Bradley's corps could be cut off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Played my first solo game today (as Brad) and wondered the same as the OP, though it didn't nag at me because I interpreted the wording on pg 14, "All other areas are considered to be in the player's color only" to answer exactly the OP's question. Meaning that all the areas in the other two commands are allied controlled. Or at least I couldn't figure out what else it could've meant!

And I think Steve it the nail on the head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.