Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Barrett
United States
Schaumburg
IL
flag msg tools
mbmb
When I began playing this game, a few pillars arose from the community - these were the players that I admired and sought to emulate. Where are they now? Here is a short list of the players that shaped my game, many of whom are now absent from the community.

Db0 - Creator of the Octgn definition, you can't start a list of important ANR figures without Db0. I honestly don't think netrunner would be on the hotness list for as long as it has been without Db0 and OCTgn. I don't play much on Octgn, but the metagame is born there every expansion. Obviously still a very active community member.

Hollis - brilliant thinker with a positive attitude who taught us to always be mindful of the numbers, and how to steer them in our favor. Location unknown.

Alexfrog - card evaluation prodigy and metagame prophet. Alex taught us to focus on the basics and not get swept up in hype and shinyness of new cards. I believe he was lost to game fatigue.

Sneakysly & Asroybal - I learned how to play competitive netrunner from watching these two stream games on twitch. Sneakysly runs one of the top 3 netrunner sites stimhack.com and has had to drastically reduce his streaming time.

Lluluien - the original jackson howard. Lluluien gave us the first widely successful NBN archetype. From him, we learned to consider what information we give opponent when advancing cards. Lluluien still posts from time to time, I think he is another lost to game fatigue.

HoobaJoo - Consummate Professional. Hoobajoo's first tournament report brought about a kind of standardization in the way that gabe was being played at the time, he brought a laser-focus to the game that wasn't present in many lists. He showed us that you can play netrunner in a style that operates independently from the metagame -- when you take complete control over the board, it doesn't matter what your opponent is playing. Still around, frequently heard on "Wait Wait Don't Run Me".

Amuk - Top Tier Podcaster. In the time that Team Covenant hosted, Bluegrass Magic Games sponsored podcast "Breaking News" has been running, countless other ANR podcasts have risen and fallen. I've been listening to his podcast for a long time, but it wasn't until I re-entered the competitive scene this year that I realized that in addition to being a stately podcaster, Amuk is also a prominent public figure in the netrunner community. In addition to organizing major events such as the Chilo City Grudge Match, He also seems make appearances at basically every netrunner tournament.

Scud - The Johnniest Johnny that ever Johnnied. Scud is a Chicago native who began a series of articles on cardgamedb early in the genesis cycle, "Tech Talk" primarily focused on building decks with cards that have been panned by the community. Scud taught us that ANR has too much depth to just disregard cards outright the way you can in other card games. I'm going to credit Scud with creating the TWIY*-Scorch archetype and to a lesser extent, the quest-complete silhouette deck because he wrote articles about both well before they made tournament appearances. I assume Scud is still out there somewhere, trying to make monolith a thing.

Notable Community Nominations:
---------------------------------

Morphine - Creator of ANR tournament manager

Alsciende,Asmor, and ChrisM6794 - For their works on the deckbuilders that we all know and love

resCube, SlySquid, and Corps3mourn - Creators of Bad Publicity, long running netrunner multimedia, news, and commentary team.

Team Covenant - This store is an LCG/Board Game Haven, and their team produces very high quality, widely viewed netrunner content. From the very beginning, Team Covenant treated ANR as a legit competitive sport. Something that well-respected games like MTG took a long time to establish.

Everyone Else - The burden of community goodness is upon you. Don't screw it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chill84 wrote:

Db0 - Creator of Octgn, you can't start a list of important ANR figures without Db0. I honestly don't think netrunner would be on the hotness list for as long as it has been without Db0 and OCTgn. I don't play much on Octgn, but the metagame is born there every expansion. Obviously still a very active community member.

He's also helping to design a certain game called "Doomtown: Reloaded".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd put Tuism on this list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
I don't know the nicknames, so you might have already mentioned them, but I consider Martin Presley (supermodernism designer) and Kyle Walker (first anarch tag floatting player to win a tournament, as far as I know) great influences in my Netrunner career.

I would also include Bad Publicity team, Team Covenant team, and El-Ad David Amir in that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen - Inventor of Silhouette's Notorious Quest™
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Houston
msg tools
The future is all Mediohxcore.

http://stimhack.com/author/medioxcore/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Barrett
United States
Schaumburg
IL
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hoobajoo = Martin Presley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse M
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Probably one of the most original decks that is still competitive. Worth a place on this list.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1045241/dirty-hands-exile-de...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chill84 wrote:

Alexfrog - card evaluation prodigy and metagame prophet. Alex taught us to focus on the basics and not get swept up in hype and shinyness of new cards. I believe he was lost to game fatigue.

It's pronounced "Alex-fraud".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chill84 wrote:

Alex still does netrunner stuff over at stimhack. http://stimhack.com/author/alexfrog/

He is also a game designer (Homesteaders) so he may be busy with that kind of stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Heisenberg wrote:
Chill84 wrote:

Alex still does netrunner stuff over at stimhack. http://stimhack.com/author/alexfrog/

He is also a game designer (Homesteaders) so he may be busy with that kind of stuff.

Lately he is busy becoming a Caverna guru beating the solo highscores
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know they might not write articles, but creating the tools to support the community is also part of keeping the game alive.

So I would like to give a shoutout to
Tomasz Bator
Poland
Rzeszów
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
, who created the ANR Tournament manager, which I use for all the tournaments I organize. Solid TO tool.

And also to
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
for creating Little Chiba, in my opinion the best tool for deckbuilding (no Octgn export though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heisenberg wrote:
Chill84 wrote:

From what I've read lately, it seems like Alex doesn't like Fast Advance being a competitive deck, and he has a low opinion of the viability of non-FA decks, so he's fallen largely off the constructed scene. I disagree with him on both counts, but he seems content to play only "real" Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TL Gorski
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chill84 wrote:
Lluluien - the original jackson howard. Lluluien gave us the first widely successful NBN archetype. From him, we learned to consider what information we give opponent when advancing cards. Lluluien still posts from time to time, I think he is another lost to game fatigue.

He's still around sadly though our meta consists of him, myself, and another guy and our work schedules are seriously jacked so getting together to play has been a pretty raw deal these days but he is still playing and around if you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex has been posting a crap ton recently to the Caverna: The Cave Farmers forums here. Odd that, given how diametric ANR and Caverna are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Alex has been posting a crap ton recently to the Caverna: The Cave Farmers forums here. Odd that, given how diametric ANR and Caverna are.

I think it's natural to be passionate about different games, since they fill different itches. My other favorites are Twilight Imperium, Magic the Gathering, Coup, Twilight Struggle, and Summoner Wars. These games are all really different, and that's why I like them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

They are not Netrunner is soooo euro-gamey, I am not surprised that there are a lot of Netrunner players who came from euros and who did not like card games before ANR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to give shoutouts to the members of Bad Publicity :
Kris Jamieson
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sly Squid
Canada
flag msg tools

Caleb Connor
Canada
flag msg tools

These guys have been putting out quality YouTube videos for over a year now on pretty much a weekly basis - and are STILL GOING. Lately they have been doing livecasts, inviting some of extremely prominent players to join them and discuss the state of the game. Definitely worth subscribing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Solow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through a phase of wanting to bop Alex for trolling. I think that he really hates account siphon and fast advance. Time will tell if he returns to liking the state of the game. He was answering noob questions today or yesterday, so I assume he hasn't given up on the game yet. If he trolls me again, I will rickroll him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

Newer BGG members probably aren't aware, but Alexfrog used to be known for his Puerto Rico strategy guides and stuff like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the guys at Team Covenant have done a lot as well.

Also, small shout-out to:

Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Who created the excellent Chrome extension for Netrunner card text.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1001521/google-chrome-netrun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

Newer BGG members probably aren't aware, but Alexfrog used to be known for his Puerto Rico strategy guides and stuff like that.

As well as in Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the base game and all of the first cycle data packs and the first big expansion. I think I have the first 3 data packs of the second cycle. I haven't played too much as no one I know locally plays the game and I'm intimidated going into my FLGS as there are people playing together that are way above my skill set. Plus, they run tournaments and I don't feel I have the necessary skills to play.

I troed to play on OCTGN but I am not familiar with both the actual game and the interface to play.

It doesn't help that I was never really got into MtG and lack the skill to be any good at creating MtG decks. I seem to just lack the skill that allows me to create effective decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
bazyn wrote:
dboeren wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

As well as in Race for the Galaxy.

So a guy designed a very well-rated game on BGG.
Made prominent articles for Puerto Rico and Race for the Galaxy, but the netrunner community thinks he's a hack? Is that right? Am I missing something crucial here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin W.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alexfrog is a controversial figure in netrunner mostly due to his blunt card reviews and strong opinions, but he is also incredibly influential and responsible for many innovations and for shaping the way a lot of top players think. He is in no way a hack, and few people would accuse him of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.