Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Booth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There's a few things that I haven't been able to figure out from the rules.

1) What are the Predator, Acid Sprayer, and Herbivore counted as? My guess is alien animal but I wasn't sure. It would mean that those three creatures don't explode on Kill rolls. EDIT before posting: Answered in the thread "many questions", those three are not full of acid and don't have a potential of taking a nap on a D roll.

2) Does the acid spray attack from the Acid Sprayer hit everyone in a square or is it directed? My guess is yes since it's an acid spray attack.

3) If you draw 3 Aliens during Ambush or Discovery, do you make three surprise rolls (one per alien) or one surprise roll for the group. I think it's the latter and the whole space (room or corridor) gets surprised or not but I saw a thread on here that made me think it could go otherwise.

I had wondered if dead aliens went back into the bag after you vacate a room (as per C under Intelligent Units in the Alien Action Phase section) but this was answered in a thread somewhere as no, they don't go back in the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cathexis wrote:
I had wondered if dead aliens went back into the bag after you vacate a room (as per C under Intelligent Units in the Alien Action Phase section) but this was answered in a thread somewhere as no, they don't go back in the bag.

I like to put dead ones on the name of the marine that killed them just as a way to keep track of kill counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshaubry wrote:
cathexis wrote:

I like to put dead ones on the name of the marine that killed them just as a way to keep track of kill counts.

I like that idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cathexis wrote:
Does the acid spray attack from the Acid Sprayer hit everyone in a square or is it directed?

It's directed. I think grenades and the acid blood kill-splash are the only area effect weapons.

Quote:
If you draw 3 Aliens during Ambush or Discovery, do you make three surprise rolls (one per alien) or one surprise roll for the group.

It's one per group. I don't have the rules in front of me, but I remember this being a point of confusion in early testing so we fixed it.

Quote:
I had wondered if dead aliens went back into the bag after you vacate a room

They don't, because they immediately turn into Explored markers when they're killed. But you do have to roll to make sure lone downed aliens are really dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Booth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sofge wrote:
cathexis wrote:
Does the acid spray attack from the Acid Sprayer hit everyone in a square or is it directed?

It's directed. I think grenades and the acid blood kill-splash are the only area effect weapons.

Cool. I was a lot harder on my marines then when the Acid Sprayer showed up and double-tapped a stack of three.

Quote:
Quote:
If you draw 3 Aliens during Ambush or Discovery, do you make three surprise rolls (one per alien) or one surprise roll for the group.

It's one per group. I don't have the rules in front of me, but I remember this being a point of confusion in early testing so we fixed it.

Like I said, I'd figured that but there was a thread earlier (that of course I can't find now) that talked about rolling multiple surprise rolls. It didn't seem right and wasn't how I'd played, but I wanted to check.

Quote:
Quote:
I had wondered if dead aliens went back into the bag after you vacate a room

They don't, because they immediately turn into Explored markers when they're killed. But you do have to roll to make sure lone downed aliens are really dead.

Yup. I'd been thinking they might go back because otherwise there's a finite number of aliens and you could theoretically pacify the ship with a strong enough parameter.

Anyway, thanks for the answers. I'd mostly guessed on these or found answers elsewhere (with the exception of the Acid Sprayer) but between this and knowing the places where I'd messed up the rules (discovery rolls instead of ambushes in hallways for example), I'm feeling a lot better about my next sortie.

As an aside, awesome game to both you and Andrew. It and the Artifact were my 32nd birthday presents to myself and Last Frontier scratches both the solo boardgame and 80's wargame itches. And as a bonus the presentation is top notch. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cathexis wrote:
I'd been thinking they might go back because otherwise there's a finite number of aliens and you could theoretically pacify the ship with a strong enough parameter.

I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen it. I think you'd hit the atmosphere first, anyway.

Quote:
As an aside, awesome game to both you and Andrew. It and the Artifact were my 32nd birthday presents to myself and Last Frontier scratches both the solo boardgame and 80's wargame itches. And as a bonus the presentation is top notch. Cheers!

Thanks for the kind words. I think Andrew and his team did a remarkable job of updating the presentation for a modern audience, and it's gratifying to see a new generation of fans more than two decades after the original printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.