Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
While at my FLGS last night, the owner cracked open a copy of this 10th anniversary edition. I was very excited to see it as the wife and I play this frequently and really enjoy it.

Of course, the first thing to come out was the board. This board is huge and beautiful. Huge for me is not always a good thing. Table space is a premium and this makes it a bit worse. I'll forgive that point with how beautiful it is. the score spaces are nice and large as well as the spots for trains. Decreases the issues from bumping. Not to mention the score keeping pieces are large and flat so they won't get bumped off causing that inevitable "well we'll just have to recount at the end" moment. The terrain done very well though I wish it was a more vibrant. The whole of the country is shades of brown. They could have done much better with the mountain ranges and areas that are more forested. Maybe even showing large metropolises better.

The cards. The cards have very grand artwork done on them. Sadly this is where I did not really want too many colors involved. It makes it just a bit more difficult to distinguish between similar colors like orange and yellow. Pink is also a strange purple. The detail here should be less and more detail should be on the board. The "wild" doesn't even really scream at you that it is a wild. Oh well, still very pretty.

The part everyone is excited for are the actual trains. Sadly they are the biggest let down to me. They are made out of incredibly cheap plastic and make me wonder just how many game plays it will take before they start breaking. Green and blue are pretty basic, they will last the test of time. Brown (which replaced yellow) are cool looking and frankly my favorite of the trains. Red are need only because of the giraffe sticking out the top which looks like it could snap off if i looked at it too intensely. Then comes the black which good god is the cheapest feeling component I've ever touched. For the huge price of this game, I feel like these trains should have been made of wood or metal. At the very least some plastic sculpt that felt more sturdy than this. Good god if Tom Vassel ever does his patented component drop with this.

Storage: The tins are great, the insert is great. Absolutely nothing bad to say about the storage.

Rules: Many have said that some of the rules are missing. Eh, the 1910 rules are online so if you didn't already own a copy then just get them there. It really doesn't bother me that much (which is strange considering how much everything else is bothering me today).

Final thought...for the price tag of $100 MSRP, this feels insane to me. You can get it for ~$80 on most online retailers which makes it more palatable. I was sold on this until I got it in my hands. For 2-3 times the price of the base game, it is not 2-3 times the quality. I think I'll be saving my money, not to mention my sanity from being paranoid someone will break a piece or spill on something.

Ignoring price:
Including Price:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A short review from a first impression
Thanks. I came back to this today with some remorse on my first dismissal of this edition, thinking "eeeh maybe I should grab a copy." But that bit about the trains kind of broke the deal for me. Even at $80. There's just too much else coming out right now. Another wave of X-Wing, Battle of Freakin' Five Armies, etc. Not enough bling for the price on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vagelis
Greece
Πειραιάς
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is the correct visual look for this game!!nice review!!!!
FIRST REACTION (the reason was my wife .she loves ticket) WoW i must take this looks amazing............but wait a minute you included only the simplest map without any changes?????? ok you put very nice trains one expansion and a bigger map and you want 80 euros??????It looks to me like a
snatch!!!!
For me they had to put maybe a 2 side map one with the original routes and another one with some changes like tunnels routes -mountains routes-ferryboat routes anything!!!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I really thought I was going to get flamed for my opinion. Sounds like there's a good few of us that feel this way.

Question to those who still want to get this. What's the major selling point for you? Maybe you still think it is crazy awesome and worth it. Maybe you just have a significantly higher discretionary income than most people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mainly got this because it's one of my wife's most favorite games, even though we don't play it that much and figured it would be nice for her to have and enjoy as most of the games I buy don't end up in her top favorites. She enjoys a lot of games but only a few are in her top favorites.

Also, her nephew has a birthday coming up and while he's almost a teenager, he doesn't play many of our games when he visits us but he really took to Ticket to Ride so I figured we could add this to the gifts we are getting him as a bonus gift since there's really no point in having both, unless of course you are just a collector, which we aren't.

Also I am not rich by any means so it wasn't an easy buy but I did get in early on the preorders but still paid $69 before tax.

After reading these thoughts and initial impressions, I'm now a little concerned but still think or rather hope she likes it. I figured even if those new plastic trains are on the cheaper side, they have to be better than just the standard plastic ones that are in the other versions, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They definitely look cooler than the standard plastic trains. They are also unique to the color which I thought was a good idea. My only concern with them was durability. There was also a lot of potential of making more iconic train pieces for the sculpts. IMO they should have stuck to what is on the color cards. The black train as an oil tanker would have been leagues better than the coal car they went with. A trolley or caboose style would even be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Becker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
badge
Banana!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the review.

My wife and I just had lunch and I mentioned to her that I had recieved and email from one of the online retailers saying that it was in. She's like TtR way more than I do, so I thought it would be nice to get the "updated" edition. After showing her the components from the DoW website, she said, I guess $80 isn't that bad. (what sold her was the giraffe car)

I really do apprecaite a different opinion on it, as I've just seen a lot of love for it from TtR fans. I think my wife can live without the giraffe cars as she picked up an extra set of train cars, painted them pink and made herself a pink scoring marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I was able to sell my original set + 1910 for $50 at a local convention auction so I was happy to upgrade for only $20. My order is shipping now so I should have it soon enough. From the pictures, the mass produced trains didn't look too cheap but I guess I'll be able to judge better when they are in my hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Dudley
United States
Westbrook
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is one of the first games I played with my adult son and his girlfriend but it was in electronic form, both Xbox and iPad. They don't own the boxed version. We're having a duplex built that I will share with them when I retire this summer and I wanted a house warming gift for them. Getting the regular version just wouldn't have been as special as the 10th anniversary edition and a house warming gift should be special. Further, I like the idea of the larger board, the more unique cars (plastic, metal, wood is a non-issue to me) and the separate tins which should eliminate any obsessive behavior in carefully arranging the cars in front of us as we play the game. :-)

I probably do have more discretionary income than many gamers as I seem to average a $100+ order with CSI every month plus the occasional Amazon and local game store purchase but I also just got into board gaming two years ago so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Had it not been for the 10th anniversary edition being released I might not even have thought of Ticket to Ride as a house warming gift so I'm thankful it released at a most opportune time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with some comments.
I dont think the trains are fragile at all.
I did have a few trains with unpainted sides which is a shame.
I agree that some of the colors are to close to eachother.
Not having all the rules is stupid but indeed easy to mend.
I like the tins and trains alot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend bought it because she loves the "cute" trains. She's pretty happy with her purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Cadot
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I too have some green trains with unpainted side, which indeed is a shame for the price.
The fact that brown trains correspond to the yellow score marker is also a shame. They could have easily made a yellow train ! .. or a brown marker.
Plastic looks indeed cheap plastic.
I think they could have made it a little better to celebrate the ten years, with more care for the details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a pretty great production, marred only by the lack of 1910 rules. But in order to keep the 10th Anniversary cards in shape, I bought 1910 and put the 10 cards under the insert, so lack of rules solved. Maybe DoW will buy us all 1910 if we complain enough to them. Also, I'd definitely write to them and ask for new trains if you have half-painted ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patricio Garcia
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how the trains won't stand up as some have mentioned. When you play all you are doing is removing them from the tin and placing them on the board. For me the game came to $140 taxes included ( Canada east coast). I was willing to spend that much for it for two reasons one was that locally the base came and 1910 expansion costs 100 taxes included. So for an extra 40 dollars I am getting a nicer edition. Second reason was I own every ticket to ride game and map but hesitated buying the original. When I finally decided that maybe I should get the original to complete my collection of TTR they announced this would be released.

The only thing I'm not happy about is the lack of the 1910 rules. I hope that DOW will release a insert or something that will fit in quality wise. Until then I will print the rules off and stick them in the box. I may also check with a few print places locally to see if they can print a nicer glossy type quality so it will match the feal of whats in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.