Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two Newbie Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

My wife and I have just got this game and are planning on starting the campaign tonight. I have read through all the rules as well as the extended rules document on the files section, but I still have a couple of fairly fundamental questions.

1. Closing a location. For every location you get two chances to permanently close it right? When you defeat the henchmen and again when you clear the last card. So if you fail both checks, that location will remain permanently open? And consequently if you fail both checks more times than you have characters then the scenario is essentially impossible to beat? Or do you get another chance to perm-close when the villain runs to the location meaning you essentially have to clear the 'last card' again?

2. This one is kind of a combination a rules question and a game design/progression question. At the start of the game you can build your deck from any cards with the Basic trait right? And every card in the Perils of the Lost Coast adventure has the Basic trait. So essentially everything you can loot in this adventure, both during the scenarios and as a reward for completing them is useless. If you wanted the card it would have been in your deck in the first place right?. In fact, as you progress through the scenario your deck could actually get worse as you might be forced to banish cards and have to replace them with inferior ones. Obviously you could mitigate this by starting with the recommended decks (which seem intentionally very weak) but it seems weird to have to put hefty restrictions on yourself to make the first 3 scenarios have any meaning. Am I missing something?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to PACG!

piemasteruk wrote:
1. Closing a location. For every location you get two chances to permanently close it right? When you defeat the henchmen and again when you clear the last card. So if you fail both checks, that location will remain permanently open? And consequently if you fail both checks more times than you have characters then the scenario is essentially impossible to beat? Or do you get another chance to perm-close when the villain runs to the location meaning you essentially have to clear the 'last card' again?


You can try again at the end of any turn if you are at that location and there are no cards. So you can spend as many turns as you want at that location repeatedly trying to close the empty location. But you can only try to close an empty location once per turn.

piemasteruk wrote:
2. This one is kind of a combination a rules question and a game design/progression question. At the start of the game you can build your deck from any cards with the Basic trait right? And every card in the Perils of the Lost Coast adventure has the Basic trait. So essentially everything you can loot in this adventure, both during the scenarios and as a reward for completing them is useless. If you wanted the card it would have been in your deck in the first place right?. In fact, as you progress through the scenario your deck could actually get worse as you might be forced to banish cards and have to replace them with inferior ones. Obviously you could mitigate this by starting with the recommended decks (which seem intentionally very weak) but it seems weird to have to put hefty restrictions on yourself to make the first 3 scenarios have any meaning. Am I missing something?


Basic is a trait on the upper left corner of the card. There is a list of traits like Basic, Elite, Melee, Human, etc. All the cards in the Base Set deck have a letter B in the upper right corner to denote which deck the card came from. The terms sound familiar and have confused others, but they are different. Basic is a trait on the upper left corner. Base is a deck in the upper right corner. There are Basic, Elite, and non-Basic/non-Elite cards in the Base Set.

I hope you and your wife have a great adventure tonight. Good luck!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. At the end of your turn, but before you reset your hand, if your character is at an empty location you may attempt to close it. (P.9 rule book, Close a Location)

2. Not all B cards (which are the ones you encounter during Perils of the Lost Coast) have the basic trait, so you can definitely improve your stuff.
For instance The Great Axe, the Bastard Sword etc.

Cards with the Basic trait are those that say Basic in the list of traits at the top left (not to be confused with having a B in the top right, which just tells you it's from the base set).

Edit: I type too slowly!

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
piemasteruk wrote:
Hi all

My wife and I have just got this game and are planning on starting the campaign tonight. I have read through all the rules as well as the extended rules document on the files section, but I still have a couple of fairly fundamental questions.

1. Closing a location. For every location you get two chances to permanently close it right? When you defeat the henchmen and again when you clear the last card. So if you fail both checks, that location will remain permanently open? And consequently if you fail both checks more times than you have characters then the scenario is essentially impossible to beat? Or do you get another chance to perm-close when the villain runs to the location meaning you essentially have to clear the 'last card' again?

2. This one is kind of a combination a rules question and a game design/progression question. At the start of the game you can build your deck from any cards with the Basic trait right? And every card in the Perils of the Lost Coast adventure has the Basic trait. So essentially everything you can loot in this adventure, both during the scenarios and as a reward for completing them is useless. If you wanted the card it would have been in your deck in the first place right?. In fact, as you progress through the scenario your deck could actually get worse as you might be forced to banish cards and have to replace them with inferior ones. Obviously you could mitigate this by starting with the recommended decks (which seem intentionally very weak) but it seems weird to have to put hefty restrictions on yourself to make the first 3 scenarios have any meaning. Am I missing something?


Hawkmoon will prolly ninja me with a more complete answer, but...

1). If you empty a location, you may keep trying to close it once per turn if you remain there and the location remains empty And if the villain runs there, you can automatically close it.

2) not all cards in the base set are basic. Look on thr left side of the card where the traits are listed. In paricular, none of the blessings other than blessings of the gods are basic.

Finally, be sure to check the faq and the updated rulebook from paizos website, as those can most of the questions that crop up in a first game and will let you know which cards have errata on them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both (edit: and the third)! You're absolutely right, I was making the rookie error of confusing 'Base' with 'Basic'
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain FREOUR
France
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
piemasteruk wrote:
Thank you both (edit: and the third)! You're absolutely right, I was making the rookie error of confusing 'Base' with 'Basic'


Thus, since you build your characters deck with only "basic" cards at the beginning of the adventure, you will eventually encounter non-basic boons even during the "Peril of the lost Coast" introduction adventure path.
There are many very useful non basic "base set" cards to get. As an example, you can get your first magic Weapons, such as the Warhammer +1 or the Longsword +1! These are mandatory to dispatch "ghost" Monsters which are impervious to standard weapons. Among the Items, the Holy Candle is the most powerful card in the game. Besides, since you play with the cards provided in the base set only throughout the Peril of the lmost Coast, you improve a lot the odds to draw those interesting cards. Don't hesitate to discard a Blessing to ensure acquiring the Holy Candle: you will put it in good use every game session.
The Spyglass is also a very useful Item from the Base Set: its power to look at the two uppermost cards from the location deck (and rearrange them) will come in handy many times.
Besides, many good Spells from the base set lack the basic trait (Glibness for Lem or Seoni, ...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, we played our first session last night. We crashed and burned (a combination of bad luck, a bad character combination and a bunch of errors) but had a lot of fun. I have one follow-up rules question if you would be so kind...

When you take damage you have to discard cards form your hand. For cards that say you can recharge instead of discarding (usually by making some check or other) can you make that check if you discard due to damage? Or only if you discard them due to actually playing the card? My instinct is that you can only recharge if you actually play the card, but we couldn't find that anywhere in the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Mészáros
Hungary
Budaörs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, you can only recharge them if/when you play them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Rulebook:

You cannot recharge a card you are forced to discard, or
one that you choose to discard as part of taking damage or resetting
your hand at the end of your turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
From the Rulebook:

You cannot recharge a card you are forced to discard, or
one that you choose to discard as part of taking damage or resetting
your hand at the end of your turn.

Ah cool, I knew it had to be in there somewhere. It's always the way that when you are trying to find something in the rulebook during play you can never find it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course, I am sitting here at my computer, using the "Search" function to find exactly what I want in the Rulebook pdf
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.