Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, My friends asked me what my favorite board game was. I brought out Twilight Imperium. They started drooling and asked to play. So, we set up a day (Yesterday) for me to teach them the game.

Dave: Lizix Mindnet
Alex: Winnu
Tyler: Federation of Sol
Me: The Universities of Jol Nar

The Lizix Mindnet was kind of the galaxy bully. Dave decided, right off the bat, that he was gonna make enemies...He picked up the trade strategy in the first turn and immediately vetoed all trade requests by everyone. I warned him that making enemies from the start is not the best way to go, but he didn't care. He just threatened me with his Dreadnaughts. The Federation of Sol, Universities, and Winnu went about our turns getting tech and spreading out to the neighboring systems.

The second turn, The Winnu grabbed the trade card and offered to trade with the Lizix, who then responded with yes....then just out of spite, the Winnue vetoed their own agreement...probably not the best move to make the most deadly army in the galaxy mad...but more on that later. I ended up trading with the Sol...my 1 for his 2, and Winnu...My 3 for his 3...not a bad grab...I decided, early on, that Politics and money were going to by my strong points in this game.

Turn 3: Still, nobody had scored any victory points...it was a giant cold war. I never picked Tech after turn 1 because I always saved one Strategy Allocation token to take a free tech when someone else played it...I kept inching towards Rex, just so I could get the votes...Meanwhile, The federation of Sol kept building an army to defend its borders against the impending doom of the Lizix Dreadnaught fleet...the Lizix kept building units in a giant black pile of death...His fleet size was 8 now...plus, the fact that he kept taking warfare and putting that big black pile of death on High Alert was not leaving any of us feeling safe...He put a worm hole right next to me, so we were technically all his neighbors. I finally got on the board when I could claim a victory point by spending 10 resources or Influence...oh, and thanks to a nice little vote allowing us all to get a free tech of one of our neighbors, The Peaceful Universities of Sol Nar were the first race to get War Suns.

Turn 4: The first and only blood was drawn when Dave sent his giant death fleet towards the Winnu. The battle was long and, in the end, the Lizix were victorious...he had no ground units with him, though, so the planets on the the Winnu's sector stayed with the Winnu...and a PDS fire from a neighboring system finished off the final Dreadnaught...so, while he pretty much lost his entire force, the Winnu held of the Lizix...However, since the space battle was won by Dave, he got a victory point (The public victory points) By this time, I had some great money making abilities in the trade route, so I had taken trade and Bureaucracy 2...(We were playing with the second set of Strategy cards) So, I hit trade and earned 10 total resources due to a technology that gave me an extra resource per trade agreement...Next round I played bureaucracy to take a look at my options. Both were good "I now pay 6 trade goods" and "I now have 5 tech advances of at least 2 different colors" So I set myself up for the following turn...I grabbed the "6 Trade good points" Now I am in the lead again.

Turn 5: Not much happened here...the previous warriors were just rebuilding, and I took bureaucracy and Trade again...because no one else did. I can see how politics can be deadly...no one knows what you are doing behind close doors...and that was what I was doing....being deadly...I picked up the vp for having 5 techs...Everyone else got it too, but I was still in the lead...Now I had a war Sun on Rex. By this time the Fed of Sol had war Suns...and he placed one close to one of my systems, so I new that something was going to happen. He was also mad that I took Mecotol Rex. I built a space dock on Rex just so I could reinforce.

Turn 6: Guess who took Bureaucracy and Trade again...Yeah...But no one was stopping me...I don't know what it is about games that allow you to "Control" winning conditions, but I love that aspect. We were getting close to the Blue deck of Public objectives...one more turn and we would have them...I was trying to get us there quickly as my time was surely running out. The rolling thunder that was the Lizix was now on it's way towards Mecotol Rex. One more turn and he would be on me...I had a feeling that the Secret objective had something to do with this...I built 2 Dreadnaughts and a couple pds's on the planet. I grabbed the victory point for having 10 technology advancements...Controlling Bureaucracy kept giving me victory points, as I could choose the next card...The Winnu, whom I had been allies with the entire game, started making their way towards me. I gave him permission to peacefully take a planet in my system, but I still felt like he could betray me; he has in previous games.

Turn 7: (This is where everyone hated me) I took Bureaucracy again...My first action, I played it. My two choices were "I blockade another alien races space dock" or "Game over". I chose game over and won the game, because I had the most Victory points...It was kind of a punch In the gut to the other players. On one hand, we could have played the rest of the game out and seen who was left standing...but I was not prepared to go against anyone in battle...or I could have done what I did and won the game with "The pen" instead of the Sword.

I got a lot of anger towards me...like they had been cheated. Was this a cheap win or was it playing the role like I was supposed to? They got to watch me play the same set of actions 3 times in a row, but did nothing to counter it...so, It wasn't like a blind side or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linc Osborne
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO a good win. People have to be conscious of the power of being able to manipulate the public objectives as they come out, especially if there's no bonus token accumulating on the strategy card.

The forums here certainly do a good job of reinforcing the mantra of 'VP wins you games' and you played to that the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keizer

Glendale
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmb
It was a dirty win for sure. It was also a smart win. Very well played, and I commend you for it.

The only thing that can really cheapen it is that you were the experienced one in the group. Was everyone else aware that there was a Game Over card in the blue deck? If they were, then it's their own fault they didn't stop you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah, Thanks. I told them about the game over card in the beginning...however, in a game this deep, I bet they forgot. They would consistently try to move ships from an activated system...even after I told them they couldn't. None of them had ever played a game like this. But it seemed like they had fun, and now they wanna do an 8 player, all expansions, game. I told them to free up a Saturday so we can start at 9 am :-). I forgot to mention that, the turn I won, the L1Z1X killed my scientist with an action card...so I couldn't research Technology. The Jol Nar special technology that lets you warp to another system you control is awesome and I could have warped reinforcements to Mecotol rex...like my Second War Sun and carrier full of fighters...and the Winnu took the diplomacy action, making it so I couldn't protect Rex. After the dust had settled, Every secret objective card that the other players had, had "Control Mecotol Rex for a turn" or something similar. So the storm was coming:-) I just got lucky with Game Over being the first blue card on the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might have been penny-wise and pound-foolish...if you ever want them to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is exactly what that card is for...Nothing dirty about it, and why it is the single most powerful strategy card in the game. It should be fought over in the late game as it is the only way to catch up, and also can end the game immediately earlier than expected.

let me give you an even nastier example.

WBC final 2 years ago.

We had a 2 players, myself (Hacan) and another guy (Yssaril) tied at 8 points (we were playing to 10) The Yssaril player managed a good move (with "in the silence of space") to steal an artifact and take the lead at 9.

The yssaril player was the speaker, and was most likely going to take Bureaucracy as his next Strategy card. Additionally there were only 2 cards left in the pile, so we knew one of the cards he was going to see was Imperium Rex. He could simply play that card and win (this is what is expected)

After a lot of above board wrangling is was decided that the other players should select an agenda that would grant Me (Hacan 1 point), this would give me the win on the tie break conditions (I had more completed objectives than the Yssaril player)and in theory keep him from ending the game. All of this works out and so going into the last turn there are 2 of us tied at 9 points.

So here is where the awesomeness comes in....

The Yssaril player executed the primary of Bureaucracy, as expected on his 1st turn, he then proceeded to select Imperium Rex and end the game (Giving me the win and world championship). The logic behind this was that he, in 2nd place, was tapped out. He was not going to score any more points in the game and figured that he would only end up in 3 or 4th place if we kept playing, so with no hope of improving his position he ended the game with the best possible finish available to him....

For me is was a lucky break (as I am not sure I would have held on to win any other way) but also a triumph of my favorite aspect of this game, the above board negotiations with other players. It took a lot of wrangling to get them to give me a VP.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Malloc -- that story was good, but not as good as the time I did something similar to win the final the second year. ALL my ships had been trapped in a sealed wormhole for two turns, my homeworld was taken, I had no planets (it was quite a conspiracy against me), and I still squeaked out an extremely satisfying win in the final using Bureaucracy.

Long may the stars shine bright on the long-suffering bureaucrat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Having been on the losing end of Bureaucracy, it was still a glorious loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan R. wrote:
Hey, Malloc -- that story was good, but not as good as the time I did something similar to win the final the second year. ALL my ships had been trapped in a sealed wormhole for two turns, my homeworld was taken, I had no planets (it was quite a conspiracy against me), and I still squeaked out an extremely satisfying win in the final using Bureaucracy.

Dan that was because I totally f'ed up and sabotaged something that allowed you to get bureaucracy,so from my perspective its not a good story to tell. However, that was also a great example of the power of the bureau card.

Additionally, while on the topic of WBC final wins, this past years win by Rob Olsson was also impressive. He was 3 points down, acted disinterested (checking his phone, staring off into space) everyone though he was done, out of it.

It was all an act!

After everyone beat each other up and passed, he played a bunch of unopposed actions to score a 3 pt objective. He was holding the diplomacy strategy and scored before any of the other players who were close to winning for the come from behind surprise victory.

It was Epic.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
This might have been penny-wise and pound-foolish...if you ever want them to play again.

That is my biggest fear...I am the board game teacher in my circle of friends...I try to hold back a little so they can understand the games and have fun, but I also wanna try strategies out. I feel like I never get to really play, sometimes. They will play again though. Tyler was impressed from the very beginning, because we created the galaxy instead of having one already set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan R. wrote:

I assume you were the Saar?

Great couple of stories, Malloc & Dan R.!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
akinfantryman wrote:
Dan R. wrote:

I assume you were the Saar?

Great couple of stories, Malloc & Dan R.!!!!!!

I don't recall, but he was still in the lead with VP, so the game ending would win it anyway even with his HS occupied. He would not have won had the game gone longer since he was not going to score any more points.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice story and I thank you for writing it! Was your win a little dirty? One could see it that way, but then again the same thing happened to me one of my first times playing, and that experience graphically taught me the value of Bureaucracy. Hopefully your fellow gamers will learn from what happened rather than resenting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
I dirty win would be moving pieces or looking at people's cards while they are taking a piss (i.e. cheating) or by using real-world relationships to gain an advantage (ex: Don't attack me, or you sleep on the couch).

Winning the game by playing it well is not dirty, nor is it dirty to gain advantage through negotiation or misdirection (within the context of the game, of course). The players who win the most in our group do so by being cagey and by convincing other players to do what they want.

It sounds like your players felt cheated because they misunderstood what kind of game TI3 is. It's barely a war game at all. I think there were a total of 6 battles in the last game I played. Hopefully, they'll play it with you again, only this time everyone will be striving for a "dirty" victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.