1 Posts

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A Night of LOTR - TC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Avri Balofsky
Beit Shemesh
flag msg tools
This past Saturday night I invited over a friend to have a few games of LOTR - TC. I explained the game to him and he picked it up quickly. We started out a game of classic version with no additional cards. He chose to play the side of Sauron.

A war of attrition started off the game as the black rider, the balrog, and saruman quickly met their ends along with gimli, aragorn, and pippin. He mistakenly moved up the orcs and gandalf had his way with them. Gandalf then started to throw his weight around until the forces of darkness finally managed to overcome him. After a bit there were very few pieces left on the board, and only two cards left in hand each. He had the witch king and the warg defending Mordor and a useless man in the shire. I had Frodo and brave little Sam trying to make their way in. I had the 1 and 3 left in my hand and he had the 2 and retreat left. The witch king attacked same and I threw in the 1, and sam died to the 2. Then I knew that only the retreat was left. Frodo retreated sideways away from the witch king and then bravely paraded forward making the scariest face he could at the Warg. The Warg, obviously frightened by this imposing Frodo quickly ran away, and thus Frodo merrily made his way into Mordor and disposed of the ring.

We then played a game where I got to be the forces of Sauron and it was entirely a one-sided affair. The orcs got Gandalf early and the Eye of Sauron cancelled a noble sacrifice. Hence the forces of evil wrecked great havoc. In the end all the fellowship was killed and Frodo died while still in Arthedain.

We then decided to have a game where we would each secretly choose which side of the men we wanted to use. I played the forces of light again and decided to try out the following:
Alt. Gandalf, treebeard, Alt. Aragorn, Alt. Sam, Real Frodo, Elrond, Pippin, gimli, and I don't recall the other.
His side attempted to mad rush my board to limited effect, mostly attrition. Treebeard teleported with Gandalf support to lay havok. Then Saruman killed Gandalf. In the end Frodo once again managed to make his way into Mordor and Middle Earth was saved again. I wish I could remember this game a little better.

A lot of the fun was finding out which sides were actually being used. We're thinking of introducing a card that lets you skip your turn to flip a character card in the middle of a game. That'd be interesting.

Until next time. Cheers.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.