Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Analog_Gamer wrote:
My wife's birthday is coming up and I want to get her a game. She loves Carcassonne, so I thought Carcassonne: South Seas, due to island/tropical theme.

What other suggestions would you recommend? She likes the simple nature of tile placement that's both quick and low in weight.

Thanks.

Its OOP and getting to be a little harder to find but I'll recommend Maori.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out:

Qin
Indigo
Seeland

They are all fairly easy tile-laying games that do not require huge time commitments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes tile laying you should re-tile the bathroom floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get 2-3 of the quadrillion expansion for Carc if she loves it. Add some replay ability if the base game gets stale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Seeland - light, quick game with a lot of visual appeal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Newlin
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife also enjoys Carcassonne and prefers lighter weight games. She's reluctant to play anything too heavy overly analytic. That's not were the fun is for her.

Here's a few that my wife enjoys (all playable with 2 people):

Ticket to Ride - This one is simple, fun, and lets you place trains on the map.

Alhambra - This has tile laying like Carcassonne, but the differences are that each person builds their own city with tiles and has to collect sets of money to purchase the tiles. It has a lot of similarities to parts of Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne.

Jaipur - This beautiful game lets you collect camels and Indian trade goods to become the best merchant. It's all about collecting sets of cards and buying goods at the right time. Very fun and still nice and relaxing.

Lost Cities - Finally, this last game is a simple card game that has a lot of replayability. Lots of couples play this one (You'll see it on many Geeklists for games that couples like to play together). It's kind of a classic.

If you want to get Carcassonne expansions, I would start with Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals. It adds some fun tiles and a few new ways to get points without getting too crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia - I feel like this is the evolution to Carcassonne. You still have your tile-laying, but you have your own area to lay out tiles. You can also pull off some combos and discover neat ways in how the tiles interact as you play it more. This has almost completely replaced Carcassonne for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scribes
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick & Light Tile game - as no Abstracts have been mentioned yet; Tantrix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Maharani, but it's a bit iffy with two. If you do play with others and like a bit of a puzzle, it's worth considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Taluva?

Simple tile-placement with a 3D aspect. One of its main selling-point though is how beautiful it is:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra x 1000! If you haven't yet check out the Tabletop episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at OddVille. The game has a mash up of mechanics and tile placement is one of them.

If you don't mind waiting, check out Akrotiri. It's a 2-player only game, has tile placement and based from the preview video, it's look really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Just a head's up, Alhambra with two adds a dummy player which is something I wasn't too excited about. Still might be good for you.

Suburbia is great. My wife and I have played nearly 60 times since February. It's her favorite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you do/buy, don't forget the flowers. Seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.