Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Howe
United States
El Sobrante
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is an electronic version of the rulebook available for download somewhere. I've done a bit of digging and couldn't turn anything up. I like putting them on my iPad so I can highlight and mark them up without destroying the original. Thanks!

Best,

Art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put them on a dropbox for DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yp3t8lpv7eo33l3/Everlasting%20Glor...

This contains the rules, FAQ and Errata as of July 2012, the Scenario Book, and an image of the TEC (which it sounds like you likely don't need). The English translation of the rules is in the second half of the PDF.

My gaming partner and I never had much luck getting this to play smoothly, hope you jave better luck than we did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Howe
United States
El Sobrante
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Mike.

I'm really looking forward to getting this one to the table. I have a considerable interest in the topic and have War of the Suns, but it's not something I'm likely to play anytime soon due to the size of it. I got this hoping for a manageable take on the situation.

What were some of the stumbling blocks for you and your partner?

Best,

Art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We found the rules, perhaps the translation, very rough at some points. The battlegroup rules are very loose (which is on purpose, I think) and a bit confusing. We're not usually deterred by rough rules and we played the first scenario, but not sure we got it anywhere near correct. In some ways it is a simplification of the War of the Suns--we had some of the same hopes that you do, reducing footprint and playing time and, of course, WotS wasn't out when we played. We find War of the Suns more accessible, so we're planning on getting to that when time and space become available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Howe
United States
El Sobrante
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike,

FINALLY got my first play in with another individual who is interested in the theater. I have to say that the rules are vague at best in many spots. I do think we were doing things correctly by the 3rd turn and the one takeaway I have is that it is very fiddly, what with making change for all of the units, which can obfuscate your actual reinforcement pool.

If you start with a unit on it's reduced side how do you differentiate it from one that was flipped due to losses? There are so many on the board that keeping track seems futile unless you somehow marked those stacks, which would add more clutter.

This becomes a problem during the replacement phase because you don't want to erroneously use "replacement" costs to flip a unit that should actually be "built", which is more expensive, and vice versa.

I'm thinking I may try playing with OCS step loss counters next time and all units will stay on their original side and just use the OCS counters as a multiplier to subtract the appropriate number of Combat Steps from each unit. This way they will be placed in the dead pool the same way they were placed on the board, eliminating erroneous builds/replacements.

My only other gripe is that keeping the factions straight is very frustrating. The aspect ratio of the faction symbols in the rules and scenario books is different than those on the counters which makes them very difficult to identify. This is exacerbated by KMT command cards that only allow the use of certain factions by certain commanders and don't even show the faction's symbol.

If I decide to keep the game I'll probably set about highlighting all of the faction references in the tables and on the cards with the appropriate color, matching the b.g. color of their unit symbols.

I must say that despite these two shortcomings, I did like how the game played. I'll give it another play or two before coming to a decision as to its fate in my collection.

Thanks again for the digital rules & scenario books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome, glad you got it on the table! We never played enough that marking the units that took losses that turn was an issue. You could mark it using a spare counter, or track it via scratch paper, I suppose.

The factions are confusing--WotS is the same way. My opponent is a historian with interest in Chinese modern history, so keeping the factions all straight was a mini-history lesson for me. I think this is just a speedbump that needs to be endured when gaming this p[eriod, although perhaps a better way of communicating the factions and their interrelations could have been used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.