Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a PoD version of this game and was excited to do so. I played a few games by myself simulating multiple players to get the hang of the rules and gameplay for ease and quick teaching.

These plays I felt the game had some potential but had some reserves with it that I thoguht I'd wait until I got it in front of other players.

So tonight that happened.

There are plenty of reviews on here that cover game play so I will gloss over this. Basically you get one action a turn, place your worker on a building and take the action in the lower part of the building. Usually this involves paying X number of one or multiple resources to receive Y of one or multiple resources. Sometimes it involves building a building or changing the current value of resources on the trading track.

Game ends once a player has built their fourth building, then all other players get one more turn. Count up your VP of all your buildings, most VP wins.

The game itself is decent with potential. It starts slow, depending what buildings come up in the start of the game it can be painfully slow. However once you get a few buildings built things start happening and can be fast or not depending the buildings available again. This randomness can be tough to deal with but rarely have I ever had a game that crawled, there is always a number of actions to take that are worth doing.

There is lots of player interaction, whether it's using another player's building they built (when you do so you must pay them a resource unless you've built a building with a top hat icon on it) or moving around the trading track or even building a building totally changing the value of the resources out there.

Overall I enjoy the game, my friend's did as well. But all thought it took awhile to get going and could suffer if terrible buildings came out in the beginning requiring many resources to utilize (some require 3 or more resources to use). Mind you this is rare as you put out the number of cards equal to the players + three.

I think for the price and the quality the art and cards will be this is a worthy play and could fit into many groups. But it is too long to be a filler and I think not meaty enough to be a full on 6o mn game. Many plays came in around 45 min, when players knew what was going on that dropped a bit but with more players it heald strong around 45 min.

So I guess it's hard to say, but as a night starter I feel this game is great.

Hope that's remotely helpful, heh I realize that doesn't say one way or the other. I myself am on the fence over this, but I feel there's a good amount of strategy in there. Especially with manipulating the price of resources and player interaction can be fun and detrimental at times. But it's more of a "take that" interaction.

Ramble ramble ramble, sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another place for this game, and the main reason I am backing it, is a lunch time game. We get an hour for lunch and my group of up to 4 players should easily be able to play this game during that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
Another place for this game, and the main reason I am backing it, is a lunch time game. We get an hour for lunch and my group of up to 4 players should easily be able to play this game during that time.

Actually yes (Man I need to re-format that review or learn to format them better eek...) lunch hour game this would be a perfect fit and some good times. I get a "until I return to work" lunch hour but have to work until I hit enough hours. We usually work 8 and eat while working and then head to the game shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.