BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Asia » China

Subject: boardgame market China rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
melanie melsen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi Everybody,

I have a question for all the boardgamers in China. I'm making a exportplan for the chinese boardgame market and I want to know if there are a lot of boardgames available? I also want to know if there are a lot of people who use boardgames and if the Chinese people use it al lot. Could you also tell me what the price of the average boardgame is? And maybe the most important question: what kind of boardgames are you missing in China?

I Hope that somebody can help me!!!!

Thanks!!

Melanie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this is useful at all, but there is a shop in Hong Kong that does import a lot of eurogames.

Most importantly, they are able to get their hands on chinese translation of these games.

I'm not sure if they do any international or regional sales, but this is one very viable alternative for people in that region if they wish to obtain games with fully translated rules.

http://tarotgames.netfirms.com/

I was there on a holiday almost a year ago, and I bought my copy of Carcassone there. Even the box has chinese translation of the name, and inside was a very professionally done set of translated rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ping He
China
flag msg tools
Although a large potion of boardgames are manufactured here, the access to boardgames for gamers in mainland China is poor. To my mind, I do not know any retail here in Beijing that sells boardgames. Some games are available, at a high price. For example, because World of Warcraft is really popular in China, some guys sold WoW boardgames, at a price of 100 bucks, 1/4 higher than its list price! I know someone who bought it from timewellspent, even with international shipping fee, it's much cheaper than the one sold in China. And I know a website called boardgamechina, which sells Carcassonne, Puerto Rico and other german games, at a price doubled from the price I got them from thoughthammer.

So, with the restricted access, not many people play boardgames in China. I don't think there is a large market here without some propagandizing first, for there are few people who are even aware of it! But with some effort, this would change greatly. I was in US for a business trip for the last several months, bought some boardgames here and took them back for my Chinese gamer friends. We had a couple of games sessions together, and each time, there are more people joining in. And now, I'm on another trip to US, and the amount of people and games they want me to take back really scares me! Hopefully, if you can get enough person to have an idea to boardgames, it's a huge market.

One other thing with the Chinese market is pricing. Although developing quickly, the income of most Chinese is still no match for Americans or Europeans. It is really not a small deal to buy a twenty bucks game for someone with a weekly wages of sixty or seventy bucks. Hopefully, if you really import boardgames to China, manage to control the price to a toleratable level for Chinese people.

Good luck man. I wish one day, I can get new and good games at a reasonable price here in China, this is really good for all Chinese gamers, and for boardgame merchants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey zhu
China
flag msg tools
Melanie ,

I am a chinese guy. Now i am resarching boardgame market in china. In fact, few boardgame can be found here. The main reason is the price of boardgame is so high. The other reason is almost all game is in English,it need time to promote it.

But i must regonize the chinese market is a huge market becuase the live level increases now and english begin popular here.

From my personal opinion,you can sell boardgame service but not boardgame.I check much information, there has a good exaple:

http://www.settlerscafe.com/ in Singpore.

Anyone is interested in it,please contact me. I am very interested in doing this business in China. My email:Jeffreyzhu33@hotmail.com

Jeffrey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey zhu
China
flag msg tools
Melanie ,

I am a chinese guy. Now i am resarching boardgame market in china. In fact, few boardgame can be found here. The main reason is the price of boardgame is so high. The other reason is almost all game is in English,it need time to promote it.

But i must regonize the chinese market is a huge market becuase the live level increases now and english begin popular here.

From my personal opinion,you can sell boardgame service but not boardgame.I check much information, there has a good exaple:

http://www.settlerscafe.com/ in Singpore.

Anyone is interested in it,please contact me. I am very interested in doing this business in China. My email:Jeffreyzhu33@hotmail.com

Jeffrey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jarvis
China
flag msg tools
Hi Melanie,

I am not an expert, but I would say there are two ways to look at the market. one is the entire market, and such a market does not exist yet, I think.

Chinese chess, Go, majong and numerous card games do get played alot. I think some Magic like games have minor traction.

And there is a HUGE body of online gamers, from the Net bars. So there should be a market somewhere, if the price is right.

But you then you hit the IP problem if a specific game is successful.

There is also urban customer and ex-pat market, especially in the larger cities. That should be doable.

The "game bar" concept Jeffrey33, mentioned is really interesting model that seems to fit well, I have heard of them in Korea also. But it is somewhat indirect way to make money on games.

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ta-Te Wu
United States
ALHAMBRA
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Board game market in China is huge. But then, it is a different market then the one we speak of on BGG. Chinese board games are sold in bookstores, Carrefore, stationary stores, etc, everywhere. They are about 5RMB to 30RMB.

If we are talking about euro board games, there is no real market at this moment in China due to price and gaming culture (euro board game specifically).

Board game cafe is an idea, perhaps a good idea. Korea itself has 100+ board game cafes, and Taiwan has about 10+ and growing rapidly. In these cafes, they offer games to play for free and make their profits from the service and/or products. Service is location. Products are drinks, food, and board games.

If someone wants to start an euro board game biz in China, my suggestion would be to open a board game cafe. I would also asy, it is gonna be a tough biz.

See you on Sat, Patrick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.