Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am Polish, I was intending to take this game to play with friends abroad. I picked up a copy in a gaming store in Poland, as the box suggested the insides were multi-language; nothing on the box indicated this was a Polish-only edition. The box does have, on the back side, a ticker for ENG / PL / DE language, but it was not marked, suggesting that it is not applicable for the game - or at least that was the conclusion reached by me and the store clerk who did not have experience with the game, who tentatively agreed with me the box suggests the game should be playable in three languages. However, having opened the box at home, the game is clearly unplayable outside Poland - a lot of components (primarily, cards) are way too language-dependent for that.

So, first, I want to express my annoyance that the publishers (Portal) did not label the box to make it clear this was a language-specific edition. I assume having the same box for all editions is saving them money - but it is misleading the customers. (Yes, presumably most people buying the game in Poland want the Polish edition - still, some people like will be disappointed...). If you go to the trouble to have a box which has space for manually labeling language, why won't you use it?

Second, I wonder if there is a way to either buy or print language-dependent components? About half of the components (game board, cardboard tokens, wooden pieces) are language independent, after all.

Third. Looking through my cards, I see that at least several are misprints, with some English texts appearing on a few cards, which are Polish-English hybrids, clearly unintentional. I wonder if Portal is replacing those cards? My edition, FYI, is ROB102012.

Last, if there's no way to just get the game language converted, any suggestions where to buy an English edition in Poland? I cannot see any info on this on the publisher website, and the Polish online gaming stores I checked either don't carry or have sold out the English edition. If not in Poland, I'll take tips with regards to the best store that will ship to Poland, through having to pay for international shipping for a Polish game to have it shipped to Poland will be adding more insult to my injury :>

I'll ping the game creators, who I see are active on this forum. Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prokonsul Piotrus wrote:
The box does have, on the back side, a ticker for ENG / PL / DE language, but it was not marked, suggesting that it is not applicable for the game - or at least that was the conclusion reached by me and the store clerk who did not have experience with the game, who tentatively agreed with me the box suggests the game should be playable in three languages.

Well, if he told you (even if he didn't know for sure) that the game is playable in English and it turns out it isn't, bring it to the store. It's unfortunate for them as well, but it's their task to know the stuff they are selling and handle it if they don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
Prokonsul Piotrus wrote:
The box does have, on the back side, a ticker for ENG / PL / DE language, but it was not marked, suggesting that it is not applicable for the game - or at least that was the conclusion reached by me and the store clerk who did not have experience with the game, who tentatively agreed with me the box suggests the game should be playable in three languages.

Well, if he told you (even if he didn't know for sure) that the game is playable in English and it turns out it isn't, bring it to the store. It's unfortunate for them as well, but it's their task to know the stuff they are selling and handle it if they don't.

I am not interested in returning it, as 1) I can play it occasionally with my Polish friends, 2) I don't mind supporting Polish game developers by buying two copies of a very good game (through I'd prefer to just buy the English components) and 3) I opened the game half a year or later after buying it; I was just too busy to even open the box at first... the store may not want to exchange the game I bought so long ago (and obviously I no longer even have the receipt).

Which is why I wonder if there's a way to convert the game, something like in the Kolejka (which I bought two copies of too, and their alt language card stickers are a pretty nifty idea).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.