Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After almost 6 months of weekly play, last night signified our last game of Battlelore. With no new goodies from FFG (and nothing to look forward to)we decided that after last nights (very dramatic fight to the finish) tournament climax we would shelf Battlelore for a while.

Next week is going to be either Snit's Revenge, Awful Green Things, or OGRE Deluxe. I'm excited to play something new...but sad that FFG didn't rise to the occasion. One more army supplement and we would have been ready to play another 6 months.

Don't get me wrong, the game still has a ton of replay value, and I will definitely continue to play it...but it could have been a real contender for constant weekly play indefinitely (I played Warhammer Fantasy Battles weekly for 8 fracking years!). It saddens me that FFG didn't put a little more effort into keeping the fires hot for the dedicated fans.

My table for the last 6 months (I never put it away), and the end of last nights dramatic game (3 units on each side, most pretty beat up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally just got my copy of Battlelore 2nd Edition and am very much looking forward to diving in this weekend. Even though I haven't played thus far, I share your frustration that FFG hasn't released anything new as of yet.

I'm hoping, like last year with 2nd Ed, we get a surprise at Gen Con. Maybe with a couple of new armies, or at least some expansions for the current ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! We have the same table and chairs set! Of course, what's on my table isn't nearly as cool........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you are not using the table for a while, I would be happy to borrow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Awful Green Things is an old favorite!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to say I agree with Grubman. It's a great game, with loads of potential, but no support. Am I right that even the extra dice set isn't out yet? We haven't played it anywhere near as much as we might have. Never mind, there are lots of other great games out there. Deck-Builders, anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Magdzinski
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That terrain looks fantastic. Bought or made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I wouldn't be surprised if something doesn't get announced or even comes out at GenCon. FFG is pretty tight lipped about new releases. They like to hold some things back for a big splash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Griffard
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra dice were released this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the complements on the table (well, mostly for the stuff on it, ha ha). Everything is scratch built, but it was pretty painless since a lot of it was just converted from first edition.

Day late and dollar short on the dice, ha ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, it hasn't even been a year has it? That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Granted, I'm probably looking at this from the perspective of a "regular" board game expansion. I don't really have experience in the "modular, mini, combat" game space. So I can't really say what's standard for similar systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:
I don't know, it hasn't even been a year has it? That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Granted, I'm probably looking at this from the perspective of a "regular" board game expansion. I don't really have experience in the "modular, mini, combat" game space. So I can't really say what's standard for similar systems.

Yeah, no problem as a regular board game...but BL has the potential to be so much more. I was planning on starting a club based an this game...but without more armies there isn't enough to justify organized play (yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
HyperionHuxley wrote:
The extra dice were released this week.

Not over here. But it's too late anyway - I don't need them now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised they haven't cranked out some expansions yet. Look at Battles of Westeros, it might give you an idea of an expansion rate for Battlelore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On the plus side, the site was updated with news that the dice pack has been released. Reading between the lines, they still refer to Battlelore as a "Core Set", which implies more is coming.

I agree it's frustrating not to have heard more, but I think we'll be OK soon. This is an expensive game, perhaps they wanted to see how it would be received before diving in with the production of expansions?

I'll be curious to see how they expand things, when they do. An expansion with 2 new armies would practically be like a 2nd Core Set... so maybe they'll do them one at a time? It could also be neat if they released "Legendary Packs" like the Descent Lieutenant packs. A single legendary figure or two... maybe even neutral units that any army could use!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had the storage space for custom terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

Doesn't take much, one shallow Tupperware bin (about the space of 3 board games), with plenty of room to add whatever comes next (swamps, walls?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait for gencon...I'm willing to bet a new set of dice that they'll announce the first expansion or expansions there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grubman wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Doesn't take much, one shallow Tupperware bin (about the space of 3 board games), with plenty of room to add whatever comes next (swamps, walls?).

I'll be PMing you my address, keep an eye out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grubman wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

You haven't seen my closet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin sayers
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
rcmoore4 wrote:
Wait for gencon...I'm willing to bet a new set of dice that they'll announce the first expansion or expansions there.

I could swear i heard Tome vasel say that FFG would be announcing an expansion for battlelore 2nd ed at gencon, or its possible he said something similar to you, that he'd bet just about anything the first expansion would be announced, and i'd have to agree with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be really surprised (and very disappointed) if there isn't new stuff for GenCon.

I'm hoping for more units for the existing armies and at least one completely new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
"Goodbye BattleLore, you will be missed."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Awful Green Things and Dungeon Twister since this thread. I thought DT was going to be lame, but its actually pretty fun and challenging...although you can't plan ahead more than a turn, maybe two, if you are lucky and your opponent doesn't screw you up every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.