Subject: Wood player screens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Luchin
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
Hi, am I the only person who hates the flimsy cardboard player screens that most games come with? I'm thinking of games like Keyflower and Tigris and Euphrates. They are so small that it's sometimes a struggle to hide all your stuff behind them, and they are so flimsy that at least once per game somebody bumps their screen, exposing their stash to everyone at the table.

Has anyone made any player screens out of wood? I've got a bunch of walnut left over from some kitchen cabinets that my father-in-law made for us and I was thinking of making some screens out of it. I did a quick search and can't find any examples of this being done. Anyone got any ideas, or pics of screens you've made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brechtel
United States
Cannon Falls
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not made or created anything like that. I could see the benefit though.

I would almost recommend having it be a box of some kind. Then you could close it when you don't want anyone to see. I am thinking mainly of Terror in Meeple City and how people have to walk around the board and the screen really is minimally useful at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fong
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how thick is the wood?

It can be done as two boards and a hinge, but i guess it would depend on the thickness of the wood. If you wanted a tri-fold you could do one out of plywood and duct tape,but that would be still pretty flimsy. you could use a bevel to shape out pieces and glue them together as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Luchin
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
I've got about 18 feet of walnut baseboard material, which is 3.25 inches wide and about 1/8 of an inch thick. I also have a few cupboard doors that were extras and they're about 3/4 of an inch thick, solid walnut.

I was thinking I could make a screen out of 3 pieces of the thin material which would be joined together by two pieces of the thick wood by cutting slots into the thicker pieces. I'd have to angle everything so it stands upright and is angled towards the player.

3.25 inches is probably the shortest screen I could get away with. I wish the wood was an extra inch tall, but I think if I make these things about 10 inches wide then there should be enough space to get all your cubes, meeples, chits, right up against the screen so nobody could look over.

Maybe I'll make a quick prototype out of cardboard and see how those dimensions work. I'm surprised nobody seems to have made anything like this before. It would be nice to see some examples of it being done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mestemaker
United States
Wheeling
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the perfect idea for one of the various vendors that bases their business on a laser cutter. I post a link to this thread on a couple of facebook pages to see if they agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG Innovation
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Mike,

Thanks for the heads up. This is a wonderful idea, very well suited to laser cutting.

I will put it on my list, so many games, so little time! I normally like to stick to overlays and trackers, but this really intrigues me as I also love to hide my loot.

Elaine
Board Game Innovation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.