Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a fairly thematic, atypical, Euro game. We nearly always play with 3 players (wife, mother-in-law, and myself) and can nearly get in a 90 minute game every night (my life ROCKS) with longer games having to wait till the weekend.

Right now, our favorites are Dominion, Pandemic, The Manhattan Project, and Eclipse. We enjoy Puerto Rico, but find it a bit dry.

Games I'm currently most interested in:
Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia love the "Brave New World" theme, dice for workers, atypical worker placement
Lewis & Clark worker placement, deck building, and the actual Lewis & Clark came through where we live during their expedition.
Power Grid Looks like a fantastic game, but how well does the auctioning mechanic work at 3 players? Also, I work at a power plant and don't want a game that feels too much like work.

Summary:
Atypical Euro
60 to 120 minutes @ 3 players
Great at 3 players
Can play one handed while holding a baby (we have card holders)

Suggestions not on my list are welcome!

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica is probably my favourite game ever. The first game will take longer than 2 hours, but once you all know it, it will fit into the time frame. I just finished a 3 player game in 75 minutes including setup and teardown 2 days ago. There is no hidden information, so it is perfectly playable with one hand.

Legends of Andor for a fantasy coop game. Don't let the dice for combat fool you, this plays more like a Euro than an Ameritrash game.

About Power Grid: it is good with 3, but better with 4 or 5. Just don't ever play it with 2 as that is awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the baby grab/swipe at pieces yet?

For an off-the-list suggestion, take a look at Dungeon Petz. It's a thematic worker placement game that has you raising pets for dungeon masters. The artwork is great, and the theme integrates quite well with the mechanics. I love that it's a little more puzzle-y than other worker placement games, with needing to meet the ever-changing pets' needs.

One potential drawback is that it can have small pieces close to the edge of the table. You might just need to push the player mats a little further away your baby reaches out.

Of the games on your list, Power Grid is the only one I've played. It can get quite mathy, and some people don't like that. I've played with 2 (with the Robots expansion) and 3, and it was fine for us. I think I'd prefer 4 to 3, but 3 with the Robots could be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, not sure about the "atypical" designation, but Stone Age comes to mind as a good game for your setting and time-frame. It's worker placement with dice-rolling. Pleasantly thematic, I'd say (in fact the leather dice-rolling cup tends to smell a bit TOO authentic!). Fun game, and there's a great iPad app for it if you want to get a taste of the gameplay that way.

If you like Dominion but want something with no cards, you could try Quarriors. It's lighter and more random than Dominion, but basically replaces your deck of cards with a bag of dice, so you could play it more easily with one free hand.

Power Grid is indeed a great game! And I'd agree it would be a bit more interesting for the auctions with more than 3, but 3 is the minimum for it to be fun. Plus, you can get some good replay because you only use 3 sectors of the map per game, so by using different sectors each game it could change up the experience and strategy. No cards to hold, but lots of little bits laid out that don't react too well to being bumped.

If you like the aggressive side of Eclipse, you could also take a look at Cyclades. It has a very interesting auction mechanic that should work for 3, and has lots of cool pieces for boats and armies and monsters. It's definitely "atypical Euro" in that people argue about whether or not it's Euro!

Best of luck, and enjoy your AMAZING life!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I wouldn't dare to say that it is atypical, but I found myself loving Concordia when I tried it, and most people I showed it to liked it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
Does the baby grab/swipe at pieces yet?

Not yet, but he LOVES to look at the cards of whatever game we are playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Stang
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
+1 For Terra Mystica

Played it for only my second time on Tuesday and though the first play will take a bit longer as another use mentioned it is quick thereafter.

Also have 14(?) different factions to use will allow a lot of replayability.

The rules can be a bit finnicky to learn at first but once you do it all makes sense and is fairly easy to remember.

Let us know what you decide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hernandez
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 For Terra Mystica

I would also like to add Keyflower to the mix. The game is a great Euro style game that lasts 90 minutes or less at three players. Keyflower is VERY unique. I don't think there is a game like it out there right now. Highly recommend it.

Just make sure the baby doesn't swipe at the ships every season or the game will turn into Rampage. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Takenoko
Airlines Europe
CO2
Lancaster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Keyflower

+1 Terra Mystica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Pizza Theory was designed for 3 players.
Karesansui (bidding low game) should be good for 3-6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Benelux expansion map for Power Grid is excellent with three players. I'm a big fan of the game, and will play almost any of the maps with three, except maybe the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
if youre looking for an atypical 3 player euro (i guess its a euro? its more like a light war game in euro clothing i dunno) that plays in 45-90 minutes, check out The End of the Triumvirate. its a tense 3 way civil war in ancient rome. if youre into the more directly interactive stuff in eclipse and manhattan project it might be what youre looking for. if your gaming partners have soft skin though it might not go over very well. the entire game is direct, intense conflict and shifting alliances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We went with Power Grid and tacked on Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game because my wife and I may be enablers. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lord atreides
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, I was going to write a bold mini-post recommending Eclipse and explaining why it's an Euro (imho) and why you should try it...and then, I suddendly notice it's in the list of games you already play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago is the best 3 player Euro I can think of ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasss333 wrote:
Tobago is the best 3 player Euro I can think of ...

I'll have to look that one up next game buying go-around. Looks like fun though.

Lots of other games here that I will have to keep in mind for later.

Thank you all so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.