Austin Williams
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rule book like 3 times in a row and I still dont get the "dying" part of it.

1. It says that once you run out of cards then you die. does this mean that all your cards are in a discard pile? or does this mean that all your cards have been banished and placed back in the box?

2. How should one organize their cards in the box? and are you meant to look at the non-basic cards before you loot them? or would you not look at them until you aquire them during gameplay?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you are required to do anything with a card from your deck (draw, bury, discard, whatever), and are unable to do so because your deck is empty, you die. You don't die when the last card leaves your deck. You die when your deck is empty AND THEN you are required to do something with a card from your deck. The most common cause of death is not being able to draw up to your hand size at the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderRam wrote:
1. It says that once you run out of cards then you die. does this mean that all your cards are in a discard pile? or does this mean that all your cards have been banished and placed back in the box?

It means that if you are required to get a card out of your character deck (your draw deck) and there isn't a card to get, you are dead. This will most often happen when resetting your hand. You have to get back to your hand size. If your hand size if 5 and you currently have 3 cards in your hand you need to get 2 cards from your character deck. If there is only 1 (or 0) card in your character deck, then you are not able to get a card from your deck, and you are dead. There are a few other times you might be required to get a card from your deck. (If a monster instructs you to bury the top card of your deck and you have no cards left in your deck for instance.)

ThunderRam wrote:
2. How should one organize their cards in the box? and are you meant to look at the non-basic cards before you loot them? or would you not look at them until you aquire them during gameplay?

There is a chart in the rules that shows how to organize them by type. There is no rule against looking at cards before you encounter them. But if you want to be surprised, you can be. Being surprised is especially fun with the banes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderRam wrote:
If you need to draw a card from your deck, and you can't because it's empty, you die.

ThunderRam wrote:
2. How should one organize their cards in the box?
There's an organization chart in the rules. Put the cards in their proper slot (if you purchase all the Adventure Packs, the slots are sized perfectly to fit all the appropriate card types). Cards from Adventure Packs don't get shuffled in until you start that Adventure (so, if you're going through Perils of the Lost Coast, you'd only have the B cards -- and maybe the C's if you have the Character Add-on; once you start Burnt Offerings, the 1's will be shuffled in). I turn the cards I'm not using (i.e. the APs I haven't started yet) backwards in the box. This way, I can quickly pull the cards for the Scenario, shuffle them, and draw as needed without having to touch any of the other cards. There is also a set of card separators in the file section, if you'd like to go that route.

ThunderRam wrote:
and are you meant to look at the non-basic cards before you loot them? or would you not look at them until you aquire them during gameplay?
This is a matter of personal preference. The rules intentionally don't address this since the designers know that some groups will like the mystery, and some like the anticipation of knowing what's coming but not knowing when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Williams
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
ThunderRam wrote:
If you need to draw a card from your deck, and you can't because it's empty, you die.

ThunderRam wrote:
There's an organization chart in the rules. Put the cards in their proper slot (if you purchase all the Adventure Packs, the slots are sized perfectly to fit all the appropriate card types). Cards from Adventure Packs don't get shuffled in until you start that Adventure (so, if you're going through Perils of the Lost Coast, you'd only have the B cards -- and maybe the C's if you have the Character Add-on; once you start Burnt Offerings, the 1's will be shuffled in). I turn the cards I'm not using (i.e. the APs I haven't started yet) backwards in the box. This way, I can quickly pull the cards for the Scenario, shuffle them, and draw as needed without having to touch any of the other cards. There is also a set of card separators in the file section, if you'd like to go that route.

ThunderRam wrote:
and are you meant to look at the non-basic cards before you loot them? or would you not look at them until you aquire them during gameplay?
This is a matter of personal preference. The rules intentionally don't address this since the designers know that some groups will like the mystery, and some like the anticipation of knowing what's coming but not knowing when.

But is it best to sort the cards out by, lets say, weapons, blessings, armor etc. into their own shuffled piles? or is it best to sort alphabetically; and would you sort any of the non-basic items with these piles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The insert in the box is designed to have you sort them out by type. So weapons in one section, spells in another. Check the 3rd page of the rulebook (or at least the updated rulebook, which you should download if you don't have it). It shows the tray layout, with each section labeled.

Start with cards from the Base Set (B in the upper right corner) and character add-on deck (C), if you have it. Don't add the cards from the adventure decks until you start that adventure.

I keep the henchman section alphabetical, because during a scenario you will often have to find a particular one. My locations are alphabetical, too. My villains and and scenarios/adventure/adventure path are in order of the adventure path. All the rest should be shuffled up so that they are random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderRam wrote:
martidem wrote:
ThunderRam wrote:

ThunderRam wrote:

ThunderRam wrote:

But is it best to sort the cards out by, lets say, weapons, blessings, armor etc. into their own shuffled piles? or is it best to sort alphabetically; and would you sort any of the non-basic items with these piles?

Keep all cards separated by type. You'll need to shuffle them from time to time (to draw random from the box for certain effects, to create location deck, etc.) so alphabetizing them is wasted effort (except for Henchmen and Villains, as Hawkmoon mentioned above). What cards are included in the shuffled piles depend on the adventure you are playing. For Perils of the Lost Coast, only include those cards that have a B or C in the upper right corner (whether they are Basic is irrelevant at this time -- shuffle all Bs and Cs together). When you start Burnt Offerings, you'll shuffle all the 1s into their respective piles (again, separated by card type).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.