A Wong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
I've been working on Crossroads of Kingswood for a while now, and am at the point where I'd love to get more Blind Playtesters for the game.

In Crossroads of Kingswood, you play a Merchant House attempting to build roads to the treasure at the centre of the Kingswood, and keep them there. It is an aggressive Tile Placement Game, with a Role Choosing mechanic.

Because an important part of the game is placing tiles over previously placed tiles, it's a lot more aggressive than other Tile Placement games.

It takes 45-90 minutes, and can be played with 2-4 players (ideally 3-4 players).

I'm from Toronto, so if you're in North America or reasonably close, and can play the game a few times and provide feedback, I would love to send you a stripped down prototype for testing at no cost. Message me or post here, and I'll try to send you a copy right away.

Also, if you could help me by looking over the rulebook and giving any comments and criticism - especially about things you find unclear - that would help tremendously.

Below are links to the Rule pdf (v0.9.24):
High Res (4.1mb) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EzibsO8V8Ja1RwbUlRNjJxanM...
Low Res: (1.3mb) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EzibsO8V8JQWYybWVTWFZWUW8...

Thanks,

Alan Wong

If you’re interested but don’t have time to playtest or look over the rulebook, you can check the game and progress out here:
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/crossroadsofkingswood
twitter: https://twitter.com/inthelaz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kam
United States
North Hills
California
flag msg tools
I would love to test the game out. You can send me a prototype, or if it's easy to print-and-play, I would be happy to print out here. You can e-mail me at dkam136 (at) gmail (dot) com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Wong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your offer! I've sent you an email about details.

Also thanks to those that PMed me about testing. I really appreciate it.

I'm looking for as much feedback and blind playtesting as possible, so contact me and I'll send you a copy to test.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sullivan
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Got some playtesting in for Crossroads of Kingswood this past week. We only had one rules question, and that is: If you choose the Foreman, do you need to pay the 1 gold to place a road tile on a mercenary, or not? We assumed you did, but weren't quite sure if that was the intention.

Overall impression: it was certainly an aggressive tile placement game, as pitched, but the level of aggression declined rapidly with only two players. Even though the fort placement rules put everyone right next to each other, you could still largely play independently at the two-player level. There is potential for a good strategy game in there, but there are too many mechanics going on at once. Reducing the number of types of choices that need to be made would help quite a bit.

Specific feedback:
* Eliminate the Kings Favour step. While tie-breaking is an important point to consider, the number of times when there were ties that could not be resolved via the least gold metric were vanishingly small. We wound up skipping this step most of the time and then just drawing on those rare occasions (usually during the first round) when tie breaking was necessary.

* Changing the Treasure Tile keeps everyone on their toes, but you could probably achieve the same result with just the Real Estate role and a single treasure tile. This would eliminate a step as well as reduce the number of components (bringing down cost and setup time).

* The Roles were well balanced. I especially liked that you got a bonus if you were the only one who picked that role. Sometimes, I found myself choosing a role defensively, just to make sure someone else did not get that extra benefit, because it would screw me over.

* The Roads phase was great. This is really where the bulk of the strategic choice comes in, so I think you should focus the effort and player attention here. The Mercenary tiles added a lot to the decision making, but I think you could safely drop the Fairy and Leprechaun tiles without loosing much.

* Gold collection needs a little bit of work. No one really saw an advantage/reason to break it into two phases (part in the Roads Phase and part in the Rush Phase). The Rush Phase generally just piled gold on and pushed the game towards the end faster without usually doing much to change the relative scores. One possibility would be to scrap the Rush phase completely and just have each player pick one gate to earn from. Another suggestion was to choose one fort and collect from all the gates that fort is connected to, rather than choosing a gate. This would encourage players to build more complicated, interconnected networks.

* We'd have liked a little bit more flexibility in the placement of the forts, both in the setup phase and throughout the game. It is important to put them close together at the start, since the fun of the game is the close competition and you want to encourage that interaction when there are fewer than four players, but being able to move your fort anywhere in a row with the Real Estate Agent, rather than just swapping positions with someone else, would give a bit more flexibility.

At first, the complexity was a bit daunting, especially since we didn't always see the need for it. As we became more familiar with the game, some of that faded, but not completely. I think streamlining by simplifying or removing the non-core phases and concentrating on the role selection and road placement phases will help a great deal.

I'd be happy to play some more with revised rules if you want to do some variant testing or anything like that.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Wong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
strangeland49 wrote:
Got some playtesting in for Crossroads of Kingswood this past week. We only had one rules question, and that is: If you choose the Foreman, do you need to pay the 1 gold to place a road tile on a mercenary, or not? We assumed you did, but weren't quite sure if that was the intention.

Overall impression: it was certainly an aggressive tile placement game, as pitched, but the level of aggression declined rapidly with only two players. Even though the fort placement rules put everyone right next to each other, you could still largely play independently at the two-player level. There is potential for a good strategy game in there, but there are too many mechanics going on at once. Reducing the number of types of choices that need to be made would help quite a bit.
Hope this helps,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback! Your one question about Foreman vs Mercenary is correct - you should still have to pay the 1 gold to replace it.

As for the specifics, very interesting. It's given me a lot of food for thought. I am working on another revision of the rules, and would love if you could test the update / alternative rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sullivan
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you found it helpful and I'd be happy to test your next revision. Just drop a note here when they're available and we'll try them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Wong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hi, I've updated the rules with the latest changes after the latest round of playtests.

Rules (v0.9.24):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EzibsO8V8Ja1RwbUlRNjJxanM...
Low Res Rules:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EzibsO8V8JQWYybWVTWFZWUW8...

Main Changes are:
Change the Treasure tile only when the player with most gold gets more than 20 or 40 gold.
Swap King's Favour cards only when players actually choose the same Role card.
During a player's Roads Phase, only that player gets the gold when they collect gold from a Gate.
No Leprechaun or Bridge Tiles. (For the games I sent out, Bridge Tile = Crossroads, Leprechaun = normal tile.)
I removed 2 of the 6 treasure tiles (4 left). The ones left are (left top in clockwise order): 33441122, 22334221, 22221233, 22332234.
In a 2 player game, during Rush phase, each player chooses 2 Gates to collect gold.

I have a couple more print and plays that I would like to send out for testing. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to send it out if you could test it and fill out a survey:
[url]https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1IF_-dSNygLosaezpWWm29yVg8GI...
[/url]

If you're interested, please contact me here, via email at aylw@inthelaz.com or by message.

Thanks,

Alan Wong
Game Designer of Crossroads of Kingswood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.