Subject: If you could get one more expansion made, what would you want? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Cthulhu Wars has like 20+ expansions, of various shapes and sizes. Everything from different maps and new factions, to neutral monsters and fully realized turn markers.

But even with all this, perhaps there is room for something else? If you could decree a brand new expansion was created, what would you want added?

Personally, I think we have plenty of factions and PVP maps. While Sandy said he'd never touch it, I think a way of making a cooperative map where players confront some sort of powerful foe would be really neat. Allowing backers to bring Cthulhu Wars to people who shy away from conflict would vastly increase the amount of players who can enjoy this great game.

However, this is a pie in the sky dream, as the game isn't really balanced for this. Sleeper's Lethargy isn't really useful in a PVE matchup, but his spellbook requirements suddenly become even more interesting.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One last faction for the 8-player map. It just seems incomplete, my OCD cannot handle it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely another faction. Something with Yibb-Tstll or Quachil Uttaus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still love the idea of a human/military/science resistance force.

Think Pacific Rim. Jaegers vs. GOO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a pretty crazy idea for a cooperative version, where each player controls a single Arkham Horror-like investigator, and they work together to defeat one of the main factions.

To control the faction, you could have something like a set of card decks (including unique cards for each faction). Which deck is drawn from would depend on the state of the faction, and you'd draw cards until you found one that the faction was eligible to perform.

Green Cards - For when the faction has neither their GOO nor 6 spellbooks
Example 1: Requires 1 cultist not on a gate, and an adjacent gate-free area - Move the cultist to the area and place a gate there, spending 4 power
Example 2: Requires 3 power, 1 controlled gate - Place a Deep One and Shoggoth at the controlled gate, spending 3 power

Yellow Cards - For when the faction has either their GOO or 6 spellbooks
Example 1: Summon Cthulhu, spending appropriate power
Example 2: Requires monster or Cthulhu in an area with an investigator - Capture the Investigator and spend 1 power

Red Cards - For when the faction has both their GOO and 6 spellbooks
Example 1: If Cthulhu is in an ocean area with 2 or more units - Submerge with those units. If he's already submerged, emerge him to the area containing the first player. Spend 1 power.
Example 2: If Cthulhu is in an area with enemy units - Declare battle there, spending 1 power.

There'd be a ton of stuff to work out, but I think it'd be fairly doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Nors wrote:
One last faction for the 8-player map. It just seems incomplete, my OCD cannot handle it....

THIS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely the 8th faction.

But if I could pick my second wish, it would be to expand the initial 7 factions with one or two new monsters and maybe a couple new spell books for more customization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

But if I could pick my second wish, it would be to expand the initial 7 factions with one or two new monsters and maybe a couple new spell books for more customization.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

This too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whelp, I guess the 8th faction wins by a landslide!

You hear that Sandy? The consumers have spoken!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Francisco
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want my copy of Cthulhu Wars soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luis Francisco wrote:
I just want my copy of Cthulhu Wars soblue

Amen to that! I keep forgetting exactly what comes in "my" package. I have to keep checking my pledge manager to be reminded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally in the minority here, but I'd like a collection of SMALLER figures for the GOO's (and Dark Young, etc.) The size difference between cultists and GOO's doesn't neccesarily have to be to scale, ya know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McKinney
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roufus wrote:
Totally in the minority here, but I'd like a collection of SMALLER figures for the GOO's (and Dark Young, etc.) The size difference between cultists and GOO's doesn't neccesarily have to be to scale, ya know?

Each to their own, but that seems a bit like asking for a chocolate chip cookie without the chocolate chips.

I like the GOO's being so big both for the childish glee and because when you're teaching newbies it'll be easier when you say, 'the big ones are dangerous.' What drives your preference for smaller pieces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lexifer wrote:
roufus wrote:

Each to their own, but that seems a bit like asking for a chocolate chip cookie without the chocolate chips.

I like the GOO's being so big both for the childish glee and because when you're teaching newbies it'll be easier when you say, 'the big ones are dangerous.' What drives your preference for smaller pieces?

Watching some of the gameplay videos, there seems to be quite a few times when there is a big massive amount of things in an area, and htey all cannot fit within that area. Plus the smaller figures are hard to see when the large things are in the way.

Having smaller figures would make it easier to store, as well. (My gaming closet is screaming for help as is.

I'm not saying that the huge figures are a complete waste; it's just that they aren't my preference for a variety of reasons. (And I realize I am in the minority.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the lack of space for the Great Old Ones, but as someone who has played the game, seeing the units on the board isn't too difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardnotbored boardnotbored
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Afrofrycook wrote:

Well I thought to co-op idea was a great one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
caveydavey wrote:
Afrofrycook wrote:

Well I thought to co-op idea was a great one.

I love co-op games, but I think that CW can't become one. Too many rules are focused on cutthroat player interaction.

To make CW into a co-op just buy Eldritch Horror and use the figures to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
During the campaign there was talks of a human faction of sorts. That would be cool, though they wouldn't stand a chance. Perhaps they could just be food for the old ones to fight for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
During the campaign there was talks of a human faction of sorts. That would be cool, though they wouldn't stand a chance. Perhaps they could just be food for the old ones to fight for.

I think that idea was dropped. Probably because the game has so many expansions already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I think that idea was dropped. Probably because the game has so many expansions already.

Uh, isn't this a "what if" thread considering Sandy has made it clear there won't be anymore factions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
thegrinder wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Uh, isn't this a "what if" thread considering Sandy has made it clear there won't be anymore factions

Lunar is right - there won't be anymore official factions, but at least the 6-8 player board was "designed" to handle a homebrew!

While this isn't a faction, per se, I was lobbying Sandy as recent as yesterday about actually producing the 6 or so Ramsay Campbell independent GOOs and the Cosmic Terrors independent Monster Pack that never made it. He has rules made up for all of them, but they probably aren't balanced because they were never playtested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jb Lovecrafty

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
thegrinder wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Lunar is right - there won't be anymore official factions, but at least the 6-8 player board was "designed" to handle a homebrew!

While this isn't a faction, per se, I was lobbying Sandy as recent as yesterday about actually producing the 6 or so Ramsay Campbell independent GOOs and the Cosmic Terrors independent Monster Pack that never made it. He has rules made up for all of them, but they probably aren't balanced because they were never playtested.

Oh man, now I hope this comes out at a later date
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
jblovecrafty wrote:
existoid wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
thegrinder wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Oh man, now I hope this comes out at a later date

I'll keep lobbying!

Perhaps once the game ships, all these rules can be released (actually, I think Sandy released some of them on BGG a few months ago somewhere) and you guys can all play and balance them, and if they are seen as good, GEG will get Fenris to do some sculpts and they can be added to the line of expansions. But first, all the current ones have to do well in retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Here's hoping word of mouth from fans gets it picked up by a boardgaming show like Wil Wheaton's Tabletop, Tom Vasel's Dice Tower, or Shut Up & Sit Down. Any one of those review/play shows would do wonders to a game's sales (assuming a positive review of course). That or getting picked up by major retailers.

Wil Wheaton at least has a fondness for Cthulhu and they did do a playthrough of Elder Sign on his show before. SU&SD had a less than stellar review of Arkham Horror, but seemed familiar enough with Lovecraft's work. Tom Vasel would be hit or miss. He gave Chaos in the Old World a mixed review, said the game was good, but as a Baptist pastor has problems with the theme of demons destroying humanity...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.